• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie Noise

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
I'm contemplating adding a second Linnie to our household, can anyone with 2+ comment on how the noise level changes (or not) when you have more than one living in the same room/space? Our Linnie now is nearly silent with the exception of her lovely little chortles and an occasional contact call when she hears something outside.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Dona introduced a second linnie, hopefully she can weigh in :)

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi is pretty quiet too. She chortles and buzzes, occasionally contact calls when she wants something specific. Great bird for a condo.

A year ago we added a second female. From the start it was concerning. The baby was so friendly and happy with us, but she increasingly chased and bullied Gigi. We sadly returned her to our friend/breeder. Maybe a male/female pair would have been a better idea. I don't know.

But I will say that during the 4 months, the noise volume did not increase.

NorthernGannet

I started off with a single male linnie, he was very quiet by himself. After several months I added a second male. They clicked from the instant I brought the second one in, and I second Dona's opinion that the noise volume did not really increase with just the two. When you add three, four, etc., then the noise increases a lot more.

NorthernGannet

Some of it does come down to the individual personality as well. I now have a few, and one of them is very type A and vocally let me know for the first 12-15 months. It was a struggle for me. None of my others are like that though, and he has since calmed down, finally.

I'd go for the rehome!

TheBirds

Update!

Well, we went for it. She's everything that our current Linnie is not! She sounds different (albeit still quiet), eats only seeds, and will step-up if asked :laugh: Her previous family must have done something right, because - as it stands right now - she's everything you might want in a Linnie. She's being quarantined right now but I'm very much looking forward to eventually seeing what Coda thinks of her!

(Funnily, these little parrots are so quiet that Coda isn't yet aware that there's another Linnie in the house so we haven't even had contact calling back and forth between the two :smuggrin: )

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update!

Well, we went for it. She's everything that our current Linnie is not! She sounds different (albeit still quiet), eats only seeds, and will step-up if asked :laugh: Her previous family must have done something right, because - as it stands right now - she's everything you might want in a Linnie. She's being quarantined right now but I'm very much looking forward to eventually seeing what Coda thinks of her!

(Funnily, these little parrots are so quiet that Coda isn't yet aware that there's another Linnie in the house so we haven't even had contact calling back and forth between the two :smuggrin: )
Congratulations on your new little one,can't wait to see pics!

TheBirds

Thus far we've had a 1-minute interval of the two of them calling to each other, and then they stopped. They're so quiet that they still haven't figured out that there's another Linnie on the next floor :laugh:

We had a rough start with the new girl (photo in avatar), she started lunging and biting when asked to step up so we took a step back and gave her a few more days to settle in. I've been feeding her treats from my hands which she'll readily take, and tonight, I opened up her cage and sat up there sewing. She eventually stepped-up voluntarily and made herself quite at home on my shoulder while I finished my craft project! She's quite a little character :xflove:

TheBirds

Tonic is more or less fully integrated into her new home with us now. It amazed me how quickly she switched to a pelleted diet (this was a bird that had been purchased and returned to a specialty bird store that weans onto pellets, so I used that same brand, and bingo!). She's more trusting than she was three months ago, so we don't generally have any more of the beaking or lunging at fingers (unless she's really in disagreement about doing something). She looooves to sit on shoulders and have her head scratched :xflove:

And as for the noise? We've not noticed a change at all from one bird to two. These two ladies are so easy to have around, with their barely-perceptible peeps and chatter. My goal is still to try and move them into the same cage eventually, for now we're working on increasing the amount of time they spend around each other outside of their cages.

TheBirds

Some of it does come down to the individual personality as well. I now have a few, and one of them is very type A and vocally let me know for the first 12-15 months. It was a struggle for me. None of my others are like that though, and he has since calmed down, finally.

I'd go for the rehome!
Is there a thread somewhere that showcases all of your Linnies and your set-up @NorthernGannet ?

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
I'm contemplating adding a second Linnie to our household, can anyone with 2+ comment on how the noise level changes (or not) when you have more than one living in the same room/space? Our Linnie now is nearly silent with the exception of her lovely little chortles and an occasional contact call when she hears something outside.

Mine are really quiet!! My budgies are "louder" than the linnies, if budgies are considered loud lol

My mother has two as well and she thinks their contact call can be quite loud to each other if they aren't together.

NorthernGannet

Mine are really quiet!! My budgies are "louder" than the linnies, if budgies are considered loud lol

My mother has two as well and she thinks their contact call can be quite loud to each other if they aren't together.
I agree with both you and your mom! :D