• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie napping more than usual. Season Change?

ked

Moving in
My linnie (18 months old) is preening and napping more than usual lately. She also seems more tired than usual.
She's eating fine and her droppings look normal too.
We live in Toronto, Canada.

Is this a particular seasonal thing?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A lot of birds are molting right now with warmer temperatures and longer daylight hours. This means more time spent preening, and it can equal more time napping as it is an energy heavy body process.

I have not noticed my Linnie napping more here in Michigan.

I would consider how much is "more than usual" for your bird. If they are napping a lot, then I would be concerned and schedule a vet visit. Peace of mind is worth a lot to me.

ked

Moving in
A lot of birds are molting right now with warmer temperatures and longer daylight hours. This means more time spent preening, and it can equal more time napping as it is an energy heavy body process.

I have not noticed my Linnie napping more here in Michigan.

I would consider how much is "more than usual" for your bird. If they are napping a lot, then I would be concerned and schedule a vet visit. Peace of mind is worth a lot to me.
Thanks.
She has been getting up early because of the longer daylight.

We have booked an appointment for tomorrow. For our peace of mind. :)

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
If you're sure she's a female, she could be getting ready to start producing eggs. I think mine laid her first when she was 15 months. Can't say about any extra preening, but she definitely got less active during that time.

ked

Moving in
@NorthernGannet She is a female for sure. I am trying to understand the egg-laying better.
What to do if she does lay eggs? On some other threads, people have been mentioning about boiling the eggs. :shocking:
Noob question: Do they not need to mate with a male linnie to be able to lay eggs?

Last edited:

ked

Moving in
Update from the vet's visit:
We got her poop examined. No bacterial or gastric yeast infection. Only gram positive bacteria, which is good.
The vet recommended us against a more invasive test like blood test in this case.
The root cause is not diagnosed. But, the vet has given anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial out of precaution.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
For myself, my macaw is molting right now,and with the change in weather and longer daylight hours, he wants to have a quick nap in the afternoons now.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Yikes on the meds with no real reason. I've only had one experience with antibacterial/anti inflammatory, for a linnie who really was sick, and they actually made him worse, more lethargic than without. It was really hard on him. Just my one experience though, I'm sure others have had better!

For the eggs, no males needed to produce eggs, although obviously they will not be fertile if she's alone or with another female.

I don't have much experience, what has worked best for me so far is to let the egg stay on the grate overnight where she protects it (she usually lays it there in the evening or overnight), then I remove it in the morning without ado when she moves off to eat. This goes on for 4-6 eggs, one about every 48 hours, then she's done and life goes on. She does have linnie buddies in with her, but I don't have any nests or nesting material in there.

If she starts acting territorial, that's a pretty good egg indicator as well. But don't fret, the behavior will pass!

Right now mine have just finished molting and are slowly beginning to come into hormone time again.

ked

Moving in
"although obviously they will not be fertile if she's alone or with another female."
@NorthernGannet Can you plz elaborate on this? She is the only bird we have.

And also, I have seen other posts mentioning ways to get rid of the eggs. Is it because the eggs don't hatch successfully or just to not want new birds?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@NorthernGannet Can you plz elaborate on this? She is the only bird we have.

And also, I have seen other posts mentioning ways to get rid of the eggs. Is it because the eggs don't hatch successfully or just to not want new birds?
Birds can lay eggs without a mate. Parrots can not reproduce without being fertilized by a mate, so if she does lay eggs, they would be infertile.

Most people don't want fertilized eggs to hatch if they are not equipped to deal with 1-5 new birds suddenly. So there are ways to take care of them before an embryo develops.

ked

Moving in
@Mizzely Thanks for the clarification.

Do all/most female linnies lay eggs? If yes, at what age and how often?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely Thanks for the clarification.

Do all/most female linnies lay eggs? If yes, at what age and how often?
All parrots have the capacity to lay eggs without a mate. Whether they will lay, and how often, depends on many factors, including diet, how they are handled, length of day, etc. They reach sexual maturity around a year, but some may start earlier or later.