• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lineolated Parakeets?

Budgies or Linnies?

• Lineolated Parakeet

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Budgie

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

ThatBirdGirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Scarlet
Do you have any rescues near you? Often you can find birds there and sadly, often on Craig's list. Many come with a cage, etc. Although not all the cages are the best, I have seen really nice cages.
Yeah. BUT, even though they can have birds, they never do, and haven't for years...

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
Petfinder Maybe petfinder would be of use to you.

Last edited:

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
How long of a distance did you check? I would check within 50 miles. 50 miles is a bit of a drive, but you'll likely find something closer than that. I did find a bird rescue in Iowa, but they don't offer lineolated parakeets for adoption... Just African greys, cockatoos, cockatiels, macaws, ecletuses... You know, the usual popular bunch.

ThatBirdGirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Scarlet
How long of a distance did you check? I would check within 50 miles. 50 miles is a bit of a drive, but you'll likely find something closer than that. I did find a bird rescue in Iowa, but they don't offer lineolated parakeets for adoption... Just African greys, cockatoos, cockatiels, macaws, ecletuses... You know, the usual popular bunch.
I need a budgie or small bird...the closest wasn't even in Iowa :depressed:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
For sure you will do better with a breeder bird. One that is hand fed/tamed will be more friendly and easy on you Mom. Please do not get a bird in Pet Smart of Petco. I know first hand these birds have had minimal contact with humans if any. Many are impossible to train because of the prior handling they have had. If you have to save up money do so. A breeder bird will be healthier also.

ThatBirdGirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Scarlet
For sure you will do better with a breeder bird. One that is hand fed/tamed will be more friendly and easy on you Mom. Please do not get a bird in Pet Smart of Petco. I know first hand these birds have had minimal contact with humans if any. Many are impossible to train because of the prior handling they have had. If you have to save up money do so. A breeder bird will be healthier also.
I cant seem to find any breeders close. There was only one, and it closed...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
See your other thread for breeder suggestions.

Prices

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
Maybe you could also consider different breeders from further away around the country that offer to ship the bird (sounds bad, I know, but good breeders use a shipping service specifically for pets that takes good care of them). I think Micro-Brood Aviary in Oak Park, IL ships (from what I remember--I could be wrong) and the aviary has an excellent reputation. They have budgies for sale (and they are adorable! I am looking to adopt one if my mom will allow a second bird soon :) ). It's worth asking around for good breeders that ship since there aren't any close by.

ThatBirdGirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Scarlet
Maybe you could also consider different breeders from further away around the country that offer to ship the bird (sounds bad, I know, but good breeders use a shipping service specifically for pets that takes good care of them). I think Micro-Brood Aviary in Oak Park, IL ships (from what I remember--I could be wrong) and the aviary has an excellent reputation. They have budgies for sale (and they are adorable! I am looking to adopt one if my mom will allow a second bird soon :) ). It's worth asking around for good breeders that ship since there aren't any close by.
Good idea, I'll look into that. It just makes me nervous because the weather here is very very quick switching. It can go from tornado, to ice storm, to 112 in an hour! (Okay maybe not quite....but still...) I worry that Im not home ALL day EVERY day, so what if it got dropped off while I was gone????

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
Look into the shipping information. I have not done a full check on really how good this aviary is, but Cute Little Birdies aviary seems fairly reputable, and the breeder runs TalkBudgies forums to boot. I have seen a lot of her posts and she seems caring and knowledgeable. Cute Little Birdies Aviary Shipping Information - Cute Little Birdies Aviary
If you look at the site, you'll notice that you have to go to the airport to pick up your budgie, so you'll know exactly when your birdie arrives. And you should be on time, too, so your bird doesn't spend too much extra time in the crate, so watch out for that.
Something to watch out for, though, is how expensive hand-fed and/or shipped birds can be.

Last edited: