• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lineolated Parakeets, where are you?!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Awww Gus :heart::heart::heart: I think there might be a protest if Remy doesn't make an appearance soon!!!;)

Tomsde

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tom Santomartino
I like Linnies, but haven't had the chance to interact with one. They are awfully cute. That Gus looks like a real sweetie.

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
I like tomsde love the IDEA of Linnies, but I have yet to meet one in person.. I figure aside from parakeets these are probably one of the only birds Felix might tolerate

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
I have seen some Linnies in person, but I had no direct interaction with them. They are very exotic to me like Rosie Bourkes and Bee Bee Parakeets and English Budgies, very rare and difficult to find. I'm sure they all have their endearing qualities.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
My Linnies are amazing!! They are definitely laid back but active little birds. They love to eat, shred, and swing. They are by FAR my #1 favorite small bird!

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
I love my linnies also and I have babies they hatched 12 days ago. Mom and dad are still feeding them but I will start soon.

Attachments

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I love my linnies also and I have babies they hatched 12 days ago. Mom and dad are still feeding them but I will start soon.
AWW!!!! They are so teeny!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
OMG - Joannas Linnies are what got me introduced to the cute little guys right here on AA and since then I have fallen in love with them!!!! So Cute!
They look like babies forever!

I saw one at a pet store last week, and my husband had to tear me away!

I would like one some day :)

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
I think I would really enjoy one's company but having never seen one in person I am nervous.
Felix LOVES little birds (the parakeet that lived with us is the ONLY bird he has let preen him or preened himself, and we have had several species in and out the door)...
I guess my biggest concern see is if they are more hand off (my experience with budgies was without several hours of handling a day they seemed to revert back to a much more "hands off" approach which was fine, except she was flighted and we'd let her out ((good luck putting her back, we had to ask Felix to get her in her cage and I bet you can guess how far we got with THAT)) *grin*)
Or parrotlets which I know can get quite the tude, but I have also not worked with these cuties...

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Parrotlets have a reputation of not liking other FIDS, I think they tend to get very jealous. Definitely do your homework before buying one of those little darlings. One parrotlet site states:

Although parrotlets enjoy being around lots of different people, they do not always enjoy interaction with other birds. Very often a parrotlet, especially a Pacific, will attack much larger birds without regard for their own small size. Particularly when they become mature enough to breed, they can become especially hostile toward other birds. Parrotlets have been reported to attack much larger birds. For example, I've heard of a parrotlet attack a Rosella more than three times her size, which resulted in the Rosella losing a toe. Do not allow parrotlets to be unsupervised around other birds.

I have also read similar things in other sources including Parrots for Dummies. Not to rain on your parade, just something to consider.

I thought that our Connie would absolutely love Sammy, she is also a yellow sided GCC, but although she's made deceptive beckoning gestures to Ollie and Sammy (and Ollile is too powerful for me to let them come in direct contact)--she has tried to attack Sammy although he's made no threatening gestures to her at all.

Although I hate to give advice in this matter, I feel I must give a word of caution. People warned me to get another bird because I wanted one, not because I wanted a friend for Connie. Although I picked the species that seemed best for us, another Conure to boot, Connie hates Sammy (most likely a little birdie rivalry going on there). Get another bird first and foremost because you want another friend. That having been said I think they do benefit from living near one and the flock-like environment even if they don't want to play and preen one another it does them good to be a family. I did a lot of research before we got Sammy and he was selected among many other choices because of the Blue Crown Conure's well deserved reputation of being mello and non-aggressive.

Last edited:

southernbirds

I have an English Budgie but he is very lay back and not as playful as you describe the linnies. Can you show a photo of the cage they are in?

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Awww, GusGus is so cute!!:heart:

I wish there was a trustworthy breeder close to us.

More pictures :dance4:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
That having been said I think they do benefit from living near one and the flock-like environment even if they don't want to play and preen one another it does them good to be a family.
Agreed. When I decided to take Penny in, I told the woman who was offering her that I was excited for Prudence to have a buddy. She instantly went into lecturing me about the unlikelyhood of them being friends. I had to stop her and explain that even if they dont ever get along I think its good for them to even just hear eachothers noises, and be near eachother. Its good for thier sould to have some sort of flock environment in my opinion.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What a great thread. Weird dates though..is it two threads merged together?
The Linnies are amazing!!! I love their eyes.:)
I agree with birds benefiting from another's company. Holly and Cochise have big size differences, and will most likely never become preening buddies, but they can be inches apart. If you remove one from the bird room, the other pitches a fit.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Gus wants to say Hello!!!!

Gus is my 2 month old mauve Linnie (Lineolated Parakeet).

This is MY FAVORITE tiny bird! He is so agreeable, funny, and cuddly! I absolutely can't believe how sweet he is!
They are SERIOUSLY incredible!
I hear they are sweet natured,is that true?♥
Gus is the sweetest bird.. he has never used his beak for evil :)
He sits on my shoulder 90% of the time he's with me and has never even chewed my clothes or bitten my ears. And he's a BABY! He should get a trophy!!
My Linnies are amazing!! They are definitely laid back but active little birds. They love to eat, shred, and swing. They are by FAR my #1 favorite small bird!
If Linnies are as amazing and sweet as you say, how come we don't recommend them more as a first bird for someone wanted a parrot? People lean towards Parrotlets. And sad to say, Parrotlets have been so bred for color, they are ruining them. Many do not live long lives. They are getting smaller and smaller{real bad sign} And they have a big bird attitude, which can get them in big trouble.
Can you tell more about their personalities? Can they talk? Do they play with toys,are they good eaters...etc? Is it true they are sexually dimorphic?

Last edited:

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I will always recommend a Linnie as a first bird. They're just not as common, finding a good breeder is hard.
Remy talks- he says "baby baby baby" and "Mia" (typical) and makes kissy noises.

They are my ONLY birds that looooove their greens: Kale, Collards, Dandelions- I stick 'em through the bars and they go nuts. They're also huge fans of plums, mango, peppers, pomegranate, and papaya.

They are pretty curious and love to climb around. Even lil Bernard who has only one foot can manage to climb upside down on his swing!!

They are genuinely sweet little birds. None of my 3 boys have ever nipped me. Even all the times I held Bernard to do hydrotherapy with his foot or shove meds in his mouth. Even the vet was amazed by his calmness.

Their noises are endearing and not at all screechy. I have 3 in my kitchen and sometimes I forget they are there. They're so quiet!! I've heard of people reporting loud Linnies... but my 3 boys are lil mice!!!

They easily shredable toys and the lil bagels to shred. THey also love bells and little things to manipulate with their beaks.

I love just watching my boys sometimes. They always make me smile.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Agree with all Joanna has just said and also with what others have said about how wonderful Linnies are. One of my favorite species. Would make a great "first" bird or second bird or whatever # bird it is in your collection/flock, when you get one or two or three or more. I do feel it is always best to give them company of their own species.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Great info, thanks Joanna and PTB. Do you know the sexual dimorphic question? Are the females prone to egg-binding?

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Not sure about females and the egg binding, but they are not sexually dimorphic.

Status
Not open for further replies.