• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
I'm not sure if this is in the right area or not, but I am in the process of building a bird room for some of my babies and pets. What lighting is the best to have for them? I had heard full spectrum lighting, which is what I had before; but I read another article and now have mixed feelings.
TIA for any help or advice!!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I prefer full spectrum for my eyes but you are the one that makes the final choice:hug8:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
The best would be lots of windows :thumbsup: But FS lighting is also great for rainy days and such. There are a lot of misconceptions about it, however. Personally I don't believe that most FS lighting is able to mimic UV properly to help with Vitamin D-- I use it because it helps the birds see better. Probably the most knowledgeable bird person I know said that she also does not believe that it does much for Vitamin D production but rather is necessary for birds to see properly-- their eyes are very different from ours and need flourescent tubes with a high CRI, proper Kelvin rating, and some UV output to see well. She's convinced that the lack of proper lighting is the reason why so many birds fly into walls and such. Compact fluorescent bulbs, like the Zoomed ones or Featherbrite, don't actually have the capability to produce the proper kind of light that is necessary. I would go with full tubes with a CRI of at least 93, a Kelvin rating of 5000 to 5500, and a guaranteed UV output.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The best would be lots of windows :thumbsup: But FS lighting is also great for rainy days and such. There are a lot of misconceptions about it, however. Personally I don't believe that most FS lighting is able to mimic UV properly to help with Vitamin D-- I use it because it helps the birds see better. Probably the most knowledgeable bird person I know said that she also does not believe that it does much for Vitamin D production but rather is necessary for birds to see properly-- their eyes are very different from ours and need flourescent tubes with a high CRI, proper Kelvin rating, and some UV output to see well. She's convinced that the lack of proper lighting is the reason why so many birds fly into walls and such. Compact fluorescent bulbs, like the Zoomed ones or Featherbrite, don't actually have the capability to produce the proper kind of light that is necessary. I would go with full tubes with a CRI of at least 93, a Kelvin rating of 5000 to 5500, and a guaranteed UV output.
Ditto. My birds are much more active and vocal under the FS lighting.

20 minutes a day in direct sunlight does more for vitamin D production than a whole week under those lights.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I would love to add even more skylights to my home as I do love that natural light.

I use FS lights, but they are not above the cages anymore so I am not sure how much benfit they are getting but I do like the type of light they emit.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Compact fluorescent bulbs, like the Zoomed ones or Featherbrite, don't actually have the capability to produce the proper kind of light that is necessary. I would go with full tubes with a CRI of at least 93, a Kelvin rating of 5000 to 5500, and a guaranteed UV output.
:sad1: Darn. I have Featherbrites. I wonder if they help at all?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:sad1: Darn. I have Featherbrites. I wonder if they help at all?
Hmm, I'm not too sure, but I wouldn't think too much. I was using them too until I found out :( I know somebody who had them tested and the CRI was actually only 88 and there was pretty much no UVB output at all, very little UVA, and that was only when they were brand new (UV output degrades very quickly, much more quickly than the light bulb itself).

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Ditto. My birds are much more active and vocal under the FS lighting.

20 minutes a day in direct sunlight does more for vitamin D production than a whole week under those lights.
I agree with JL,just make sure if you choose this path that the window is open. Window being shut doesn't allow for the benefit of the UV lighting.

Even on an overcast day as long as the window is open they will still benefit. It can be indirect sunlight as long as you don't have glass filtering the sunlight, the only thing the glass will do is to intensify the heat coming through the window.

Luck!:dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.