• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lifespan?

Oldest poi you've met or owned?

• 20+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30+

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 40+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sydney Harris

Moving in
Real Name
Sydney Harris
So i was doing research about the poi's more specifically the Senegal and meyers parrot and I was seeing a huge age range. Various sources said 20 to 30 years while others said 30 to 50 years. I get very attached to my pets so I'm hoping 30+ years! Can any poi owners tell me the oldest Poi you've seen or owned?

JLcribber

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Crash Test Dummy
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you have super husbandry skills your bird may live to be 50. If you have terrible husbandry skills you could probably kill that bird under 10 years old.

You can have the best husbandry skills in the world but your bird has a genetic disposition causing it to die at a young age. You can be a hoarder and keep that bird in terrible conditions and yet is (reasonably) healthy and lives a long life because it comes from a very strong bloodline.

So you see this has more to do with the genetic cards you were dealt. Super husbandry is a bonus.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Crash Test Dummy
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna
Also accidents... You can be the best bird keeper in the world with the most genetically perfect bird in the world and still lose them to an accident, sadly!