• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Levoit air purifier teflon free?

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
Hi I'm here in NYC, currently we have the world's worst air quality of any city, due to the Quebec wildfires. I want to get an air purifier, I was going to anyway but now I find my need more pressing. I've closed all the windows but smells like someone's been smoking cigars! I've heard good things about this Levoit unit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VVK39F...colid=2UWKMGJ7YTBL9&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

this one in particular but do I have to worry about teflon in that thing? I wouldn't have asked but I found out blenders have teflon sometimes, so ya never know!

Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Teflon is only a concern in our birds air space when it is heated, as your air purifier is not a warming appliance in any way you will be fine.

Teflon in heaters, irons and ironing board covers, hair straighteners, hair dryers, cooking pots, pans and appliances, coffee makers etc are a concern as they are meant to be heated and if they malfunction or get too hot then the teflon releases gas.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I have 2 of them, bought them in July, they are both running non stop.
So far I'm happy with them, though I'm not fighting New York air like you are.
I'm just fighting Too dust.
I don't believe these are as heavy duty as some others you can get.

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
@macawpower58 How close to your cages do you have them set up? I have a large floor model HEPA in the corner of Tikal's room but I'd like to have something closer to his cage as well.

Jay

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
These are fairly small models (table top size), one is right next to a cage, the other is across the room from the cages.
They are in different rooms too.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I have a couple Levoits! I love them, they're super great.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I have been running one of this exact model in my bedroom with two budgies for two years. I don't think it is as powerful as some others, so room size will matter, but I have anecdotally noticed a slower accumulation of dust on my bookcase/other smooth furniture. That's really the only thing I can observe (besides the dirty filter) to know it's working! I also love the silent mode and the birds have grown to expect the white noise when I turn it up at bedtime.

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
Last night I used one in an unusual spot- the bathroom! We couldn't open the windows or light a candle so I put an air purifier in there. Let me just say it worked in seconds! Way faster than the parrot safe candles I've been using. I didn't know it could be used for that purpose so I'm glad I tried it.