• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Let's talk water... What do you give your birds?

What type of water do your birds drink?

• City tap

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • Well

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Spring (bottled)

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Purified with added minerals (bottled)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Distilled

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bree

Walking the driveway
Being on a well for the first time, I have been looking around for information to make sure this was okay for the birds. All I found is a whole lot of controversy, so I want your input!

From what I can gather, depending on the sources, here are the pros and cons of various water types:

City tap
Pros: Tested regularly, treated for yuckies. Cons: Added chemicals (flouride, chlorine, etc.)
General consensus: Probably fine as long as it is considered safe for people, unless you want to avoid the added chemicals. (Letting tap water sit out does get rid of chlorine, but not other additives, including chloramines.)

Well
Pros: Not usually any added chemicals, natural, full of minerals. Cons: Not tested regularly.
General consensus: When it is good, it is very, very good, but if something happens to the water source (chemicals, waste, etc. seeping into ground water, or other bacterial contaminants taking hold, etc.) you will not likely know until the effects become apparent. May be great or risky, depending on well.

Spring water
Pros: Natural, full of minerals, some treated for yuckies. Cons: Not very well-regulated.
General consensus: Some think this is a safer alternative to well water because it has to go through some processing yet is still natural, but others do not see it being any better than well water because the quality of the source/treatment is not guaranteed.

Purified with minerals added
Pros: Chemicals/yuckies removed, contains healthy minerals. Cons: Not very well-regulated.
General consensus: Some think this is a good, safe option, but others think that it is not worth the money because quality/truth of purity is not guaranteed.

Distilled water
Pros: H2O, nothing else. Cons: Potential for negative health effects with long-term consumption.
General consensus: Seems generally to NOT be a recommended drinking source for living things because minerals may be leached from the body to make up for the lack of minerals in the water. (However, the recent vet recommended I give my birds distilled water, so some do disagree.)

Please add your thoughts and facts about different water types. What do you give your birds?

Kmurph43

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kim
I use the water right from out tap. It tastes fine to me and I read our water report. It travels so far that a lot of the additives are far less when they reach me then when the water begins its travels.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
you can call your county extension office and get a sample of your well water tested to see what's in it - that might help you to decide if you want to give it to your birds or not

we have city water here and I have an on-tap Brita filter that I use for everyone

we have a camp in the country that is on well water and when we are there, we use bottled water because of the mineral content in the well water

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I put my tap water through a Brita filter. It's what I drink. If we go to my mom's (she has well water), Kiwi gets bottled.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Our water goes through a filter too, I drink it right out of the tap sometimes.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I use tap water - we have very, very good water in my city!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Our tap water used to be horrible, but now has a filter so I use the tap water. I used to use boiled water. (it was cooled down obviously before given to the birds)

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My fridge has a filter, but Portland's water is from the glacier fed Bull Run reservoir. The filter gets Guiardia, as well as the usual suspects.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tap water run through a Brita filter :)

Crackaleen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I feel tap water is quite safe and that's what I give my birds. I also have a brita filter (the pitcher) which I use primarily for my own taste preferences, but I don't usually give filtered water to my birds simply because I keep the pitcher in the fridge and I don't like to give them ice cold water. I don't really have an opinion on any of the other options aside from distilled - I wouldn't give that to anyone, pet or human, since it can cause massive electrolyte imbalances.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Since I found out our water has .08 ppm fluoride, and no filtering will take it out, I went back to using bottled spring water. Even for my dog.

Last edited:

southernbirds

I use tap water. We have a filter on the fridge water and my husband just told me that I should be using that. "Put it in a bottle" he told me. So far the bird seems fine after 3 years. Just shows when you ask a question you will always get an answer:)

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
The public water supply here is heavily chlorinated-- it smells almost like laundry bleach. :( I won't drink it, and won't give it to Ralph, either to drink or to bathe in. I use bottled spring water-- a brand that is genuinely spring water and not simply bottled tap water, as many kinds are.

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
Hawaii has the second cleanest water in the nation. I love our tap water - it tastes great!!

Raptor gets regular tap, while Mika currently gets distilled water with Avitech Electrolytes. Mika normally gets regular tap as well, but with the way his kidneys are functioning (or not functioning, according to the CBC) he is in need of electrolytes. This was suggested to me by one of the few people I truly trust when it comes to lovebird care. Once his kidneys get better, he'll go back to tap.

Bree

Walking the driveway
Whoops, it looks like I should have had another option on there: city tap run through a home filter!

Thanks for the feedback. :D

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I did not vote since I have a Pur water filtration system on my sink and always give my birds filtered water, never tap.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Nicky (SC) & Atticus Finch get either Distilata or Whole Foods spring water. Even for baths.

Last edited:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Tap water... except now where I've moved to, the tap water is gross. It's got a really high mineral content and smells heavily chlorinated, so I don't know what I want to do yet. I'll probably just go with the 'drinking water' from walmart- basically tap water, but from somewhere else where it's not nasty! Either that or I'll give the Brita a whirl and see how it tastes after.

Status
Not open for further replies.