• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lets talk Cool Mist Humidifiers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

Coco I would say that would mean too much humidity if you are getting condensation. Is it because the vapor is close to the window or do all windows fog up? I dont go above 50% usually and when it gets really cold I struggle to keep it at 45%. I looked at my humidifier this morning, mine is a Holmes.
Hmm... it's all the windows, even at the far end of the room. How strange!! What's wrong with my room :huh::confused:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hmm... it's all the windows, even at the far end of the room. How strange!! What's wrong with my room :huh::confused:
My guess would be it has something to do with how good the windows are (energy effeciency) and how well the house is insulated. Before we got our new windows we would get condensation on the windows from having the curtains closed at night. This winter...NO condensation so it is probably the windows you have arent very energy effecient.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

My guess would be it has something to do with how good the windows are (energy effeciency) and how well the house is insulated. Before we got our new windows we would get condensation on the windows from having the curtains closed at night. This winter...NO condensation so it is probably the windows you have arent very energy effecient.
Ah, that could be very possible-- I'm renting and don't plan on replacing the windows myself :o: :p Thanks!!

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I have 2 filterless vicks cool mist ones that I've and almost a year. They use about a gallon each and put out moisture visually. It makes a fog from the unit. I also have a 2.5 gallon Holmes that uses a wick filter and a fan that I've had for more than 6 years that still works great. Got it on clearance at target with my parents for like $6.
I found out when bf cracked a tank dropping it that the replacement tanks for most models cost about as much as the entire unit.

If we know we need more moisture than that being in a split level 900 sq foot unit outside of phoenix then we put a pot of water on the stove, back burner, on low and bf throws a cinnamon stick and stuff in it because he likes spelly things since we can't use our oil burner anymore.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I also try to keep it at 50%....it is easy to do in the bird room as it is smaller. If I get much above 50 (and that is not difficult to do) I do get a bit of moisture on the windows...and they are newer replacement ones...

In the large addition, I struggle to keep it at 50....

Status
Not open for further replies.