• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leroy still having seizures : (

faeryphoebe1

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Oh, I'm crossing my fingers too, for you and Leroy and hoping for a speedy recovery and some definitive answers.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's like my expensive CAV he's not bad with his bedside manner, he does take a lot of time for you but he says it how it is there is no bull5hit and does things straight away no messing around.

All the best for Leroy. Sounds very promising. :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive thoughts for Leroy.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good news. Hope you finally get a solution as to the cause of the seizures and also a beneficial treatment regimen.

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
Happiest news of the last 24 hours – This is even better Than Ethiopian Christmas(It's this weekend people! Get your Birdie Christmas stockings backup!).....My friend Tsion is originally from there,So her kids give us the coolest excuses to have extra holidays for the holidays :)

Here's what I'm going to do:I'm telling the kids about Leroy. We're going to add an extra stocking and write his name on it( just like the Other birds And the cat have).The girls are six Are 10 years old Respectively..... My personal Valkyrie's sliding door curtains have the stockings pinned to them,And the girls Are Filling them{each one contains a toy to start with,And we Started Internet shopping For possible birdie outfits}.Anyway, let me know what Leroy likes{I'll have the girls pick up the actual object(s) from that}, and I'll throw the stocking in the mail When the girls Leave here on Friday--P.m. me where to send it. the gift of life for Another day is pretty damn cool :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:highfive: good news..hope Leroy continues to improve.

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:dance4: So glad things are looking up! Keeping you guys in my thoughts and hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Great news :hug8:

I will still ask today what seizure meds Merlin was on just in case you or anyone else wants to know.

Reactions: JAM

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Ok, here's what Merlin was on. Dr O told me the fast acting injection is Midazolam, which is in the same family as Valium. Valium is stronger, and I guess she felt in Merlin's case that using the Midazolam was fine.

The preventative medication was Gabapentin. She also does use Phenabarbitol for some birds though. She said her choice in meds depends on the types of seizures and severity.

She thinks you should run an ABV test if you haven't done so yet.

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Atropine blocks some nervous system receptors throughout the body and that's why they use it for seizures.

Roo bird

Meeting neighbors
Ok.....new update on Leroy. We are still waiting for his blood/fecal results. We changed his diet a lot, still giving phenobarbital three times per day. He has had a few more seizures but not nearly as often as they were. It seems like they usually happen right when he wakes up and goes to bed. Today he only had one, which was around 9 am so hopefully the pheno is building up in his system. He is doing a new strange thing though......it seems like he lost his 'voice' or 'schreech' he gears up like he is going to sing or scream but this really strange little meep or squeak comes out. :bored: I wonder if it's a side effect of the meds.....hopefully he doesn't have neurological issues from all the seizing. I ordered vetri-DMG and it came today but I am too afraid to introduce anything new right now. All in all he definitely seems better to me, hopefully he will continue to progress. :smug:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Keep getting better Leroy :hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:hug8:
Phenobarbital can be a really heavy drug on birds and the dosing can take some time to get it right. If you are having new symptoms or having questions about reactions call the vet tomorrow and ask before the weekend arrives. Also ask the vet about weekend hours and emergency services in case something happens over the weekend and he needs to be seen. While they are on the phone ask your vet about DMG, he should be able to answer your questions about that as well. If it were me, my vet would have recommended it already but ask so you feel safe about it.

She thinks you should run an ABV test if you haven't done so yet.

I'm sorry Audrey, :( I don't agree with your vet. I know that you have MUCH first hand experience with this, but I would exhaust all other possibilites before testing for Borna. JMO :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You have my total empathy. It's so hard.

Phenobarbitol is hard on a bird's liver and that is why my vet said that he couldn't take it for his seizures. Hank's liver had already been severely damaged by the fungicidal medications to whip his aspergillosis. Just mentioned this because I don't know if Leroy has had a Chem Panel.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
:hug8:
Phenobarbital can be a really heavy drug on birds and the dosing can take some time to get it right. If you are having new symptoms or having questions about reactions call the vet tomorrow and ask before the weekend arrives. Also ask the vet about weekend hours and emergency services in case something happens over the weekend and he needs to be seen. While they are on the phone ask your vet about DMG, he should be able to answer your questions about that as well. If it were me, my vet would have recommended it already but ask so you feel safe about it.

I'm sorry Audrey, :( I don't agree with your vet. I know that you have MUCH first hand experience with this, but I would exhaust all other possibilites before testing for Borna. JMO :)

Because they've already looked at more common causes like HMT and infection. I can't remember now if they looked at calcium levels between her 2 threads. I thought she said so in the first thread?

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good job Leroy!! Keep on recovering!

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Yes, pheno is VERY hard on the liver and that's why all animals taking it need a bile acids test every six months (and why it's recommended that you try to reduce the dosage by using other stuff). DMG is a natural occurring element, a derivative of an amino acid (I forget the name), synthetized by the body and usually found in the liver. It's used for seizures because it enhances the neurotransmission capabilities of brain cells (and seizures been something like a short circuit between neurotrasmitters and receptors it works in reducing the threshold). See this: DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium