• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lemon Has Discovered Scritches

Abigail

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
( Check out this thread to find out more about who Lemon is.
Lemon | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum )

To be honest, I'm surprised that Lemon even steps up at all. Her life has been hard, and even when my friend took her in, my friend hardly interacted with her or let her out of the cage. But even in the past few days of Lemon being in my home, I've seen such a change in her and her personality. Yes, she's still pretty grumpy. But I can tell she just seems so much happier. She really seems to love me and the home I've brought her to. She's content.

When she first came, she wouldn't come out of the cage at all. She didn't want to come out. She's very attached to it, and that's understandable. I'm sure she feels safe there. She would screech and peck at you when you asked her to step up, but would then reluctantly do it.

Now, she comes out of her cage on her own. She follows me around and doesn't throw as much of a fit when I give my finger to have her step up. Sometimes she'll do it on her own. She totally refused to be touched at all, had her own personally bubble really. But today, something very beautiful happened. Lemon was hanging out with me and came up to stand on my thigh. My arm was resting on my leg and she kept pushing her head against my arm, her eyes closed. I gently and carefully started to give her scritches and surprisingly she didn't mind at all! In fact she LOVED it. We sat there forever doing that. Whenever I'd stop, she'd beg some more. It was so precious.

I can't believe how much improvement I've seen in just a few days. It amazes me truly. There is no reason for her to trust humans, and yet she still gives us a chance. She will spend the rest of her life happy and hopefully healthy with me. I'm thankful to have her in my life, it's like it was meant to be.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Awww...so glad she is finding happiness with you. :heart:

Heather F

Oh that is just magical. What a little darling.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
As much as we're not supposed to give birds"emotions", I believe Lemon knows "she is home". You haven't pushed her to do things and as a result she is doing things at her own pace. She is realizing that you are not "the humans" she had to be subjected to in the past. :dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
:heart: :heart: :heart: I hope you get many, many loving years together.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Such wonderful news! I agree with @SandraK. She knows she is home and safe. She feels she can trust you. Such a rewarding experience. :heart: