• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Legbands? Keep OR don't keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Just playing devils advicate. Sorry, have too. But evenone is saying that they are keeping them on incase they get out or stolen. If someone finds the birds, they can just cut the bad off and clam the bird as theres. Now, I know it's not easy to "just" cut off the band. I'm just saying.

True, however unless the person is a Actual Bird person they're not even going to know what the band is for - most non bird people (or people new to birds) call them "bracelets" they have no clue it can ID a bird and I don't think they can be removed with normal Every day tools , I don't even think Wire cutters or bolt cutters would remove it - well it may but i don't think even a non bird person would risk Doing some massive damage.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I did hear a story of a lady who stole a parrot from a pet store and then cut off it's foot to get the band off because she thought nobody could prove that it was the stolen bird. They did catch her though, and she was charged with animal cruelty.
BUT that lady was disturbed. And if someone steels a bird, it's likely that you will not get it back anyways (though it can happen). I'm talking more about identifying that it is your bird if it flies out the door or something like that.
And I agree, they are most likely not going to know what a band is.
Found the story:
http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/11642/RI/US/

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
I did hear a story of a lady who stole a parrot from a pet store and then cut off it's foot to get the band off because she thought nobody could prove that it was the stolen bird. They did catch her though, and she was charged with animal cruelty.
BUT that lady was disturbed. And if someone steels a bird, it's likely that you will not get it back anyways (though it can happen). I'm talking more about identifying that it is your bird if it flies out the door or something like that.
Found the story:
Pet-Abuse.Com - Animal Abuse Case Details: Parrot stolen from pet store, foot cut off - Warwick, RI (US)
That is such a sad story. There are some sick people out there.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Found the story:
Pet-Abuse.Com - Animal Abuse Case Details: Parrot stolen from pet store, foot cut off - Warwick, RI (US)
Wow, that is disgusting! How can anyone call her a human, she is more like a disgrace.

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Its definitley by opnion.....I rather no leg bands...I think leg bands are just asking for tangled trouble....But a lot of times you can learn a lot or even for identification puproses.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't like leg bands. I had a Plum-headed Parakeet that constantly chewed on his band. He eventually chewed holes in his leg and that's when I took him to my vet to have it removed.

LittleBirdAirlines

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey "Lynz"

ETA: just wanted to add, if this comes down to "safety" it is our job to make sure the cage is safe and the bird(s) cannot get their legband caught on anything.
This is what I came here to say along with my opinion.

Accidents to happen though, and sometimes they can get caught on something no matter what you do. But, personally, I agree with bands. No one likes having anything on them. You wear your wedding ring, but you get used to it. Dogs have collars, and they get used to it. Cats do sometimes too.

When birds get lost it's hard for them to come back home. Not their fault, just people. A lot of people I noticed, if they don't see the bird belongs to someone they won't pick it up or try to catch it. Because bird bites HURT.

When I get my bird banded, I' going to make sure it's well made and doesn't rub on her at all and is lose enough to move. I know she's going to dislike it at first, but she will have to get used to it. She's flew away twice already. Since then I've liked the idea of banding more. I just want it for that reason. Otherwise, there's no need. I don't so much agree with putting them on for "bar code and count" reasons.

As far as stolen things go. A band won't do a thing. If they have intention to steal anything, they will keep it.

Last edited:

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
of all our birds only Nugget(p'let) and Soto(OWA) have bands.

i'm thinking maybe getting Nuggets removed because theres one toy in her cage that the band gets caught on. its her favorite toy so i dont wont to get rid of it.

Soto has never(that i've seen) played or ever messed with his band and is doesn't seem to bother him either so enlse something happens i think i'll leave his on. i like that if were to escape it might help get him back to me.

levi(gcc) will have a band also and i will watch him closely once he's home to see if he'd be better off with it on or taken off.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Definitely removed. I Had a couple of scares with then on. And once nanis ride up an her leg and was really hurting her. It happened during her shower. I Had it revived right away.
For never its not worth the risk off keeping them on. Only a few of my birds had then anyway
If so bird is stolen they can easily snip the band anyway
A good vet should be able to remove them with no injuries
Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

This is what I came here to say along with my opinion.

Accidents to happen though, and sometimes they can get caught on something no matter what you do. But, personally, I agree with bands. No one likes having anything on them. You wear your wedding ring, but you get used to it. Dogs have collars, and they get used to it. Cats do sometimes too.

When birds get lost it's hard for them to come back home. Not their fault, just people. A lot of people I noticed, if they don't see the bird belongs to someone they won't pick it up or try to catch it. Because bird bites HURT.

When I get my bird banded, I' going to make sure it's well made and doesn't rub on her at all and is lose enough to move. I know she's going to dislike it at first, but she will have to get used to it. She's flew away twice already. Since then I've liked the idea of banding more. I just want it for that reason. Otherwise, there's no need. I don't so much agree with putting them on for "bar code and count" reasons.

As far as stolen things go. A band won't do a thing. If they have intention to steal anything, they will keep it.

If your bird is is past 14 days old you can NOT get a close band put on it will not fit, no way no how unless you get one that is way too big - then that defeats the purpose . and the Open (split) bands is the ones that cause the most harm they are well known to get caught in things because they are slightly open, and bigger birds who like to chew such as Quakers, Conures and bigger are not supposed to have open(Split) bands on because they can use their beak to Close them into their leg, causing sever damage if not amputation of their own leg, Or like one member on here has a parottlet with a open band on it and it's getting it OPEN which can cause sever issues as well

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
None of my birds have ever had bands. I think I prefer to keep it that way. I would always have that fear in the back of my head that the leg band would get caught on something.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I prefer to have legbands removed if they do seem to be bothering the bird in question. I do have a couple birds here at home who have legbands and dont seem to be bothered by them.. But I do feel they are unsafe so sooner or later those bands will come off.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Boogie is banded - it doesn't seem to bother him

I will leave it on him unless it becomes a problem

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Of my 2 only Skittles is banded,I have talked to my vet and a breeder friend and they both say to leave it on,unless it becomes a problem. Skittles doesnt even seem to notice it and Iv never had any issues.

In fact I wish that Nala was banded,cause if god fobid she ever got lost,there is honestly nothing about her to prove that she is mine. She has no diffrent marks than other Green Cheeks and she doesnt speak,so I would have no real way to prove she is mine to someone over the phone.

Now if I was premitted to go and see her,then she would be all over and me and it would be case closed. But a lot of people wouldnt let a stranger come and look at a bird they found unless they were sure it was the owner.

So Skittles band will stay,unless it starts to cause a problem.

Last edited:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
My birds have been banded their whole lives, and nothing has ever gone wrong with them. And many of the birds at the rescue are also banded, we actually band all the tiels so we can keep them straight, and we have never had an issue. We also have a few birds with the open quarantine bands, and again, haven't had any issues with them either.
I believe it can happen, but it's not as common as you think.

Last edited:

tibanks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tina
I have 3 banded birds and never had any problems, and the birds don't seem to even pay attention to them. Unless there are problems that arise from the bands I plan on keeping them. I do like them for id purposes just in case of an escape..I doubt anyone that wanted to keep my bird would go for the leg band w/o getting a serious bite.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I say take them off.Hiram never had one.I just think they could be a safety hazard.Maybe I'm wrong, but if given a choice, I'd prefer not to have them on.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If anyone really wants to know what it's like to be banded, get a metal ring and weld it around your ankle for a month or two. I'll bet they will be cutting it off long before the time is up. Just sayin'.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If anyone really wants to know what it's like to be banded, get a metal ring and weld it around your ankle for a month or two. I'll bet they will be cutting it off long before the time is up. Just sayin'.
So John, are your birds still banded or do you wear a welded metal ring around your ankle?:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.