• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leg Bands

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I've been worried that Spearmints leg band is too tight. I'm not able to swivel in on his leg and it's very flush to the skin. Would people be able to take a photo of how much space is left between the band and their leg? I'd like to remove it though as he does chew it and it seems to cause him discomfort.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
That would worry me too. I can get a pic of my GCCs leg band in the morning but it twists around his leg easily and has a bit of space between his leg and the band.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Your description above says it is too tight... It should not be flush to the skin, if your bird has the slightest of injuries that would leave no room at all for swelling as the circulation would be instantly cut off. If you can not move that band easily, like slip it up and down and spin it round then I suggest you book an AV appointment asap and get it removed.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I've already had Marvin's leg band removed -- in her case it was loose enough for her to occasionally get a rear toe latched inside it.

How does the procedure work?

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Your description above says it is too tight... It should not be flush to the skin, if your bird has the slightest of injuries that would leave no room at all for swelling as the circulation would be instantly cut off. If you can not move that band easily, like slip it up and down and spin it round then I suggest you book an AV appointment asap and get it removed.
Yeah i'll 100% look to get it off. I literally cannot move it at all. I'll book an apt soon and will ask them to take it off.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Pics of his band:
1683802406688.png
1683802419972.png
1683802433763.png
1683802444596.png

1683802455722.png

1683802470132.png
1683802483528.png

He wasn't too happy with me holding his like this, so these were about the best I could do.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd have that taken off too. I've helped remove a couple - there are band cutters that make it easy and safe. I totally meant to have my Quaker's removed at his vet visit and I forgot :/ but luckily it's ok for now.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
How does the procedure work?
Marvin's was very different than Spearmint's -- round/narrow/ring material vs flat/wide/band, and loose rather than tight.
In Marvin's case it was a simple cut of the band with a hand tool (like side cutters) since there was ample room to keep it away from her leg and the round material is easier to cut without distorting.
For overly tight bands, I've seen a Dremel-type rotary tool used to cut them off.

I'm glad you're getting an avian vet to look at Spearmint's situation because it's definitely too tight and will require a delicate hand to remedy.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Spearmint’s band is definitely way too tight. It also appears to be an open band- is it? If Spearmint was my bird I would be getting that band off like yesterday.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It's tough to tell from the photos, but to me it looks like an open band that was over tightened so the ends are overlapping rather than just abutting.
That is what I am thinking too which is why I asked. I am wondering if Spearmint may have actually crushed it while fiddling with it- I have heard of that happening too many times now with open bands.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Spearmint’s band is definitely way too tight. It also appears to be an open band- is it? If Spearmint was my bird I would be getting that band off like yesterday.

There's no gap on it, but like Flyzipper said, its been overlapped. I've scheduled the soonest appointment possible. I'm so annoyed i didn't notice this earlier! It just never occured to me that it was too tight until I saw a photo of it on another bird.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
That is what I am thinking too which is why I asked. I am wondering if Spearmint may have actually crushed it while fiddling with it- I have heard of that happening too many times now with open bands.
I looked at some old photos of his band and it looks like it was always overlapping like this. His breeder was not ethical at all, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was done on purpose.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I'll also be getting his nails trimmed while i'm there, two of his toes lift off the ground and he's been very touchy about me trying to clip them recently so i'll leave it for the vets.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There's no gap on it, but like Flyzipper said, its been overlapped. I've scheduled the soonest appointment possible. I'm so annoyed i didn't notice this earlier! It just never occured to me that it was too tight until I saw a photo of it on another bird.
I can see there is no gap but I still believe it is an open band going on how it has been overlapped. Has it always fit so snug or was it looser when you first got Spearmint?