• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leg Bands- Where to purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

boysmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather Haywood
Can anyone tell me where they purchase their leg bands for babies ? Thanks

henpecked

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Richard
L&M is first class, i'm a member of the AFA and get my bands though the AFA. Either custom though L&M or being on a national registry with the AFA , it's up to you and your situation/goals.

boysmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather Haywood
Richard, I know this will be a dumb question, what is normally used for the number sequence ? This will be my first clutch produced ( hopefully ) and I want to do it right. I was leaning toward AFA for my bands, but wanted opinions.

henpecked

Real Name
Richard
With the AFA bands you get what they have, no special choices for numbers. It works out OK for me, they also send 'hatch certificates' that you fill out to keep track of info on the bird. PS however many bands(of one size) you order,they will be sequential, the next batch you order will be different. Also different numbers on different sizes. With L&M you can get what ever you want on the bands,within reason.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I never used the AFA leg bands. I did use the L&M leg bands for many years. How I worked my leg bands was my initials which was JMR , the state being CA for California and the number and color of the band. I never put the year on my bands because if I did not use them within a season then the bands go to waste after that breeding season is over ... because if you use a band the following year then it is not accurate if you use it in the following year. If you know for sure you will use all your bands in a season that have the year on it then you can order with the year ... or if you do not mind tossing them out after the season is over then do it that way.

So like if you have 5 different pairs of the same specie, you can use 1 color per pair, you can start out at any number but when you order with L&M it has to be ordered in multiples of 10 bands per color. So if you need to order more bands for the next coming year then you can start the band number that follows after the last number of your previously ordered bands that you want. So I did have sometimes have like 2 different pairs but not if it was the same specie... so like I might of had Blue Front Amazons with a blue band a Maximilian pair with a blue band and numbering might have or can be the same because in the end it is all about god record keeping. So it is always important when someone is looking for a breeder of the bird they have to tell you what color of band it is as well as the info on it.

Last edited:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Bands are not too expensive from L&M so if you do want to include the hatch year and don't use up all 10, it isn't a huge waste of money. I wish the breeder of my Jackie would have included the hatch year. He is a mature male who was bred in TX but other than some initials and a number, no info. I have a strong feeling his breeder died and therefore no records are available. I found a name on a web page with a list of eclectus breeders in 2001 whose initials would be the same as those on Jackie's band who was from Texas, but no searches have resulted in an address, phone number or email address. The only question I have for this breeder is Jackie's age. If they had included that on the band I wouldn't even be looking for them.

henpecked

Real Name
Richard
When researching banded birds that i wanted to buy, I have contacted L&M. If they made the band they can help. L&M won't give you the breeders info but will pass on your info to the breeder who has the option of contacting you. A few times this has worked out but not always. I am always very polite when talking to L&M because they are doing me a favor , First Class folks there.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
When researching banded birds that i wanted to buy, I have contacted L&M. If they made the band they can help. L&M won't give you the breeders info but will pass on your info to the breeder who has the option of contacting you. A few times this has worked out but not always. I am always very polite when talking to L&M because they are doing me a favor , First Class folks there.
Yes, that is what I heard a few years ago that they do not give out breeder info any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.