• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leaving the boys for the weekend for the first time

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I know it happens since, people have lives, but this is the first time we've left for longer than just errands since getting any of my guys. My husband keeps saying they'll be fine but I'm really anxious about the idea of leaving them. My Mom is going to care for them, but I know Slade isn't going to be happy with anyone besides me going in his cage, even for a water change. I also don't want him to get upset with me like I abandoned him. I just hope it'll all be ok. I am setting up the wifi camera before we leave so I can check in on them, I just wish my nerves would calm about this.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I get nervous too when I leave mine, but I'm sure it will be fine. I always leave my sitter a list of instruction and emergency numbers just in case.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I get nervous too when I leave mine, but I'm sure it will be fine. I always leave my sitter a list of instruction and emergency numbers just in case.
My mom is my emergency, and she knows their vet since I technically go under her name since they didn't have room for new clients. I trust her for the most part, I more so don't want her getting hurt cause Slade gets super territorial of our "nest".

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I understand the feeling. I'm anxious any time I have to leave my CAG or two dogs for a trip. That said, I think it's very healthy for us not to baby our birds too much. We will need to be away throughout our/their lives for vacations, weddings, emergencies, work purposes, holidays, etc. I think it's great to teach birds how to cope with our short absences. (Or long absences. I've gone on two week vacations.) And to learn how to cope with it ourselves.

Sounds like you have a great plan in place. Good luck.

Last edited:

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I completely understand! In fact, its the people who ask how long their bird can go without someone changing their food/water bowls when they want to go away for a few days that I dont understand!

A good part about returning from a trip is how excited my birds and me are to see each other again :excited1:

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I have left Burt for a couple weekends before and I'm always thinking about him when I'm gone. Sometimes I wonder if he misses me more or if I just miss him more :hilarious:He is always happy when I come home, and hasn't acted bitter about me leaving him. My bird watcher isn't so thrilled when I leave though because when Burt thinks he's more being taken out enough, he intentionally poops in his water bowl so someone will have to come in to clean in :rofl: I'm sure your birdies will be just fine and look forward to your happy reunion when you get home

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I'm currently obsessively checking the camera because no one has turned their lights off yet and Slade is getting upset. I texted everyone but no one has answered. I really hope they aren't left with the lights on all night :(

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I know it happens since, people have lives, but this is the first time we've left for longer than just errands since getting any of my guys. My husband keeps saying they'll be fine but I'm really anxious about the idea of leaving them. My Mom is going to care for them, but I know Slade isn't going to be happy with anyone besides me going in his cage, even for a water change. I also don't want him to get upset with me like I abandoned him. I just hope it'll all be ok. I am setting up the wifi camera before we leave so I can check in on them, I just wish my nerves would calm about this.
It is going to be OK, I just had the same experience last week end, and it was my 11-year old kid taking care of the animals so I was a little worried he'd forget something (he is very lunatic sometimes!), but it went just fine and the animals were happy to see me back on Sunday evening. You worrying will not do anything better for them, just spoil your own time. Enjoy your fid-free time and trust your mum to take good care of your birds! Even with the light on he will go to sleep at some point. Leave the camera and chill out, it is just ONE night, he can stand not having everything perfect just for once ;-)

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
My brother ended up turning the light off at 3:30 am, but now their lights aren't on and my dog was howling (never does this when we're home). My husband keeps telling me they're fine, but I am just mad I take such good care of my parents animals when they go away and they're ignoring mine.

DocWurst

Moving in
FYI I have a wifi camera and a smart-bulb I can control from my phone that comes in handy when I'm away for the night. The smart bulb is also a life-saver when I leave early for class but want to let Diego sleep in for a while. Maybe if the situation comes up again you can look into that as option for your own peace of mind. The color can also be adjusted to be more festive. The one I have was about $25 on amazon.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
No one will ever take care of your birds the way that you do, which makes leaving for a bit so darn difficult.
I think that the first trip away is the most stressful one. Once you come back and see that your babies are okay and thrilled to see you, you'll feel better the next time you can get away.

Enjoy yourselves on your little get away. You deserve it!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
FYI I have a wifi camera and a smart-bulb I can control from my phone that comes in handy when I'm away for the night. The smart bulb is also a life-saver when I leave early for class but want to let Diego sleep in for a while. Maybe if the situation comes up again you can look into that as option for your own peace of mind. The color can also be adjusted to be more festive. The one I have was about $25 on amazon.
I actually just ordered some so at least one thing won't worry me next time. I'm surprised how inexpensive they've gotten.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I feel your pain. It’s incredibly irritating to leave detailed instructions, and then have something as simple as turning on/off a light not be done correctly. That’s just not paying attention, and it makes you wonder what else isn’t being done right. And the texting without a response is simply infuriating. Like others have said, however, all you can do is enjoy your time away, and I’m sure everything will be fine once you get home.
:hug8:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
You guys were right, everything was fine. Roka, our dog, lost it when we got home and wouldn't stop running back and forth between us. Ollie and Diggle, they didn't care much :lol:. Slade got really excited then went and moped for a while. Eventually he came and got really flirty with me rapid fire regurgitating. Everything now seems to be back to normal besides Slade getting uber excited when I talk to him or pet him, big wings fluffy boy style.