• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leaving for three days - Tips?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
In a month, I’ll be leaving for a 3 day trip for a baby shower, leaving the boyfriend to care for the kids (human and not) on his own.

Tteok, the tiel, is no issue. He loves Jay. The only problem Tteok has is that he never ever ever wants to go back to his cage for bedtime.

Isadora, the SC2, miiiiiight have some difficulty. She’s very much my bird. She’s cool with Jay, from a respectable distance. She’ll step from me to him, but she won’t step up for him on her own. She’ll tolerate a scritch from him for a few seconds, and then lean well away.

He’s good with reading her body language and backs off as soon as she makes it clear, but even after having him spend time with her, she’d just… rather not.

What can I do to ensure as easy of a few days for them?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you have him do a few trial days before you go where only he takes care of them? That way you can know what any possible unexpected issues maybe and have time to hopefully work on them a bit before the actual time arrives.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm going to guess that he already knows and helps with the feeding/cleaning routine? If not, supervise him doing that a few times. If necessary, the birds can stay in their cages while you are gone to avoid any difficulty in getting them in for the night.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The above two comments are exactly what I would have said and I also totally agree that if there is likely to be any issues or stress with safety and or re caging them then it is probably best the birds are not let out, they will be fine for a few days not being allowed out for free time- always better safe than sorry.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
He helps with the cleaning and feeding, and I’ve been having him hang out with her alone for about 20-30 minutes at a time, just being in the room while she’s out without me being there. I figured maybe him doing what I did when I first brought her home - just hang out and read a book or something while she’s out, without directly interacting - might help. That way she can get used to him.