• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Last days with Bitsy

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I am sorry for the loss of your dad. The last days with Bitsy are going to be tough. I've been on the long last walk with dogs at the farm. It is not easy. Take that trip with good memories of better days. Bitsy would only want that with you and yours.:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I'm so sorry to hear about Bitsy. It is clear that he had a wonderful life with you.
What a beautiful boy he is.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm heartbroken for you. I, too, had to say good bye to one of my precious dogs deteriorating from renal failure and it was absolutely devastating.
I will hold you in my thoughts as you help Bitsy find peace.

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
Thats so hard. I’m very sorry. I had to put down my rat Cookie recently and it was so hard, but I promise you will feel better knowing your furry friend is no longer in pain.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks everybody for all your thoughts and kind words. They really do mean a lot me.
:heart: :grouphug::heart:

We were able to take Bits out for what's probably his last car ride. It went pretty well and I think he enjoyed but I also think it took alot out him too. We had to pick up some food and pain meds at the vet's so took him there. He loves goes to vets cause he learned quickly he gets treats there, plus there's lots of interesting smells. He weights 46 pounds now, a healthy weight for him would be 55-60bls. He doesn't look super skinny but I think his deep chest and fluffy shiny coat are deceiving. Because when you pet him he feels like skin and bones now :sad1: We took him to pet store and he loved exploring it. Plus he got treats by girl who worked there. She thought he look good for his age. We got him some more treats, then went thur Tim Horton's and got him a couple of Timbits. He got so excited for those! Like a true Canadian :rofl: We headed to a park next. He's such a hound, he loves smelling all the smells :laugh:

Today was rough. I gave him a different kind of dental chew and he really struggled with it. So we took it way and gave him a different treat. Before that treat wouldn't have lasted long at all. He has such a willing spirit but his body keeps failing him. There were a couple of times he couldn't get up and he started to panic. Plus he had a really hard standing up while eating his dinner. I tried to get him to lay down to eat and he was ok with for a bit but then he wanted to stand again. He constantly needs help getting up now. He's settled now and we gave some extra pain meds.

I was a little on the fence if I doing the right thing but it's becoming very clear that it really is time to let him go. I just hope he'll be okay until the 18th. I think so but we'll take it day by day and if we need to pick up more pain meds we will. Right now he's resting and I think his meds are working well.
20221106_123330.jpg 20221101_172911.jpg 20221106_122629.jpg 20221106_122630.jpg 20221101_172900~2.jpg
In this last photo you can see his weight now. I think his front end looks ok but his back end it is really skinny. He really has zero fat there now.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
It makes my little heart happy that he's getting all sorts of tasty treats. I think it's safe to say he knows how much his family loves him, and that you all are doing everything possible to give him a big "hurrah". :hug8:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's such a handsome boy! Those eyes are mesmerizing I can just get lost in them. I'm so very sorry that you're going through this.
It's never easy to say goodbye but it's clear your giving him the best possible final days and spoiling him with all the love. I'll be thinking of yall during this trying time.
:sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This is a tough time for you all, he is such a lucky boy to have such an awesome caring family. Hugs to you all and more treats for Bits :heart:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I am so sad to read you lost your father Sarah. It’s never too late to wish All of God’s blessings for him as well as your family. It is a difficult decision to make for our companion animals but in the same time can such a blessing for them. I’m happy to hear your brother will be a part of sending Bitsy on his journey. I have no doubt your Dad will be there to greet him. Extra hugs and kisses with all the treats he wants. Big squeezin’s for you and the family dearie.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a sweet looking boy! I love how Betsy’s last days are so full of love and treats. I’m sure he’s enjoying everything. I’m so sorry that you’re going through this difficult time, and my thoughts are with you Sarah.
:sadhug2:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Prayers for you and yours.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Mom and step dad had to finally do that with their dog bear. He was the same way and it was just time as he could barely do anything and it made him miserable and scared. We all got together the afternoon before and gave him all the forbidden treats and loved him up and took pictures. He had a grand time and was happy.
I think you're doing the right thing as the end probably won't be easy otherwise and your releasing him from his pain and broken body. :bluhug:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Mom and step dad had to finally do that with their dog bear. He was the same way and it was just time as he could barely do anything and it made him miserable and scared. We all got together the afternoon before and gave him all the forbidden treats and loved him up and took pictures. He had a grand time and was happy.
I think you're doing the right thing as the end probably won't be easy otherwise and your releasing him from his pain and broken body. :bluhug:
I'm so sorry of your family's loss of Bear. I'm glad he was so loved :heart: And thank you for your kind words!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful boy ..so sorry :sorrow:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
This is my last night with Bitsy. It's so surreal, I can't believe I have to say my final goodbye tomorrow. :darkcloud: 20221117_065755.jpg 20221117_065826.jpg
He has a had a couple of good days and even play with a toy for a bit. The nights and mornings seem the worst for him. I've been giving him extra pain meds then. I'm going to miss him so much :sad1:

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
This is my last night with Bitsy. It's so surreal, I can't believe I have to say my final goodbye tomorrow. :darkcloud: View attachment 417342 View attachment 417343
He has a had a couple of good days and even play with a toy for a bit. The nights and mornings seem the worst for him. I've been giving him extra pain meds then. I'm going to miss him so much :sad1:
Aw im so sorry for whats happening.Give him somelove from me :sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez