• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Large Glass Bird Aviary?

pmeadfournier

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Patty
Hi Everyone,

Can you put a bird in a all glass bird aviary? It seems like there wouldn't be enough airflow? Please advise?

Thanks
Patty

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I wouldn’t, even still if there was enough airflow, I just couldn’t imagine confining them in a glass aviary, not to mention the cleaning. :straightface: But, that is me.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
between lack of airflow, the fact it would hold in the heat, and the danger of them flying into the glass and injuring themselves... it just sounds like an accident waiting to happen. :huh:

pmeadfournier

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Patty
That was my thought. The bird wouldn't be able to climb around. It's beautiful but I think a bad idea. Maybe for finches but not my BH Baby Pionus :laughing12:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I had the rescue tiels in a bow front plexi cage and they constantly tried to fly through. I wouldn't recommend it.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No, no and no.....I compltley agree with Tozie 12.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I wouldn't recommend it. Birds smashing into the glass, the heat, the cleaning. Just about everything said above is enough to put anybody off haha! But when I was last at Loro Parque I couldn't help but admire one of their conure aviaries. It was all glass except for the roof which was domed and made of mesh. It had loads of real trees in there, loads of foraging opportunities, the ground was covered in sand and they all mingled together. They had golden conures, golden capped conures, blue crowned conures and peach fronted in there if I can remember correctly. I got a video of the golden conures playing in the sand...

Golden conures - YouTube

None of the birds were hitting the glass at all

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've seen plenty of glass and acrylic aviaries sold... mostly large cages like aviaries designed to go in nursing homes, ect. Since birds can't climb on the sides there is less functional space for the birds so you really would need a larger cage than you normally would. I think a large glass aviary with some silk plants or other items to hide in is fine for finches, small softbills, ect.
Parrot Island (a parrot supply store) used to sell acrylic cages designed for parrots, although it looks like they only sell carriers now - they were acrylic with large slots to allow airflow and some climbing. They didn't look too bad but I still think cages with bars are better for most parrots, if only for the extra climbing.