• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lafayette had a crash landing and cut himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Lafayette just had a rather rough crash. He was flying around and tried to fly into the TV before there was a clatter and crash and he dropped down hitting the entertainment center on the way down. I picked him up and he's got a cut on the right side of his cheek right near his beak that's bleeding and he seemed a bit dazed. I cleaned it off and it looks like it's just a scrape possibly from the edge of the entertainment center. I put some cayenne pepper on it to stop the bleeding and he's angry and cussing now, he seems alert. I want to get a better look just to make sure that it's okay (paranoid..this is the first time any of my birds have been hurt). How long do you think I should wait to make sure the bleeding has stopped before I wash the area and get the feathers out of the way so I can get a clearer look?

I don't think there's a great deal of damage, but the spot it right beneath the eye and behind the beak so I'm worried. I checked him over quickly afterwards, but I don't want to fuss with him until I can wash the area entirely once the bleeding has stopped to make sure he's not taken any real injury. I just want to make sure when I wash the cayenne off it won't start bleeding again, not sure how fast it works since I lightly dabbed the paste on the cut and it's kind of hanging out there annoying him I think. :o: Sorry nervous bird mother.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8::hug8: Awww Poor Lafayette, I would probably look sooner than later to make sure he is not bleeding, they can bleed to death very quickly. I hope he is ok:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I'm sorry He got hurt:hug8:If He were one of Mine,I would just wait awhile,let Him (and Yourself) calm down. See if He eats/drinks/goes potty.Maybe after an hour or so--with NO bleeding You could clean Him up and check the damage.IF He is showing ANY signs of Not being totally normal-Please get him to a QAV! But For now-Keep Him warm and quiet:hug8:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi try and relax.

If you looked once and cleaned it off it is the same now. Leave the cayenne on unless it is causing a problem, it will stop the bleeding, ease any pain and promote faster healing. Keep an eye on your little one to make sure everything is ok. If in doubt call or head to your avian vet.

Gary

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Yeah. It's stopped now from the paste, I'm just wondering if it'll start bleeding again if I wash it off now or if it'll take a bit to clot and stop bleeding so I can safely get a look. He's unhappy in the smaller travel cage and cussing up a storm, but he's chowing down on nutriberries in between telling me how horrible I am for making him be somewhere other then plastered against the front window.

Yeah I need to relax. It shook me up picking him up and seeing him bleeding. I didn't get a good look because I wanted to stop the bleeding asap and got a paste of the cayenne pepper on it. I'll keep an eye on him in the small cage and let him relax before I take him out to wash it off to get a clear look on the wound itself.

Last edited:

Deej

Real Name
Deena
Kristen go somewhere (to another room) and calm the energy level down. If he's eating and yelling at you about how awful you are, that's a good thing. Big hugs to the little guy, he is ALL boy. :hug8:

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Poor little baby....I think it hurt YOU more than HIM......I agree w/Deena, sounds like he's doing just fine....Take a few swigs of wine (i prefer gulps myself) and just keep an eye on him....he needs his mommy SANE, not INSANE!!:hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Yeah I'm going to get some lunch and stop fretting over him while he enjoys some apple slices and corn all to himself. After lunch I'll wash his cheek off and make sure he's checks out alright and there's nothing deeper wrong with him. And yeah it scared me more then him! We've had a rough year with losing two pets to unexpected illness and one to old age, I think I've hit paranoia for the rest of the way.

Wait..I gotta be sane? Crap, why did no one tell me this when I first got birds! Right, lunch and to stop worrying over him and probably making him question my sanity.

Deej

Real Name
Deena
How's he doing Kristen?

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
He's got a pretty decently deep cut on his cheek. Not as bad as I fretted about and it's stopped bleeding so I got a good look. It's also thankfully closer to the beak then I thought it was, I thought it was higher up towards the eye because he rubbed his head I think and drug the blood upwards. If it was closer to the eye I'd be a lot more worried. I don't think he needs to go to the vet, I'm going to keep him in the smaller cage for this evening just to be sure he didn't rattle his head or some such with the impact and I can keep a better eye on him for my own peace of mind. I was going to take a picture of it, but wiggle worm was very angry I was poking at him and wetting down his feathers so I could see beneath them more clearly. :rolleyes: Thanks for answering the question about when the bleeding should stop. I was worried I'd do it too early and have it start bleeding again. He's still cussing up a storm at his 'entrapment' with only three toys and four perches and snacks, hopefully he's learned his lesson about trying to fly into the TV and scaring me.

Last edited:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
:hug8::hug8:Glad things are looking Ok.... :hug8::hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Feel better Lafayette!! And you too! Animal injuries can very upsetting, especially when there's blood involved!

alys

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alice
Glad to hear he's looking better! :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How scary,so glad he is doing better.

Deej

Real Name
Deena
Oh geez, just pick him up, brush him off put a band-aid on it and send him back into the game coach!! :D Don't make him into a wussy bird, there's no crying in baseball. Seriously, I'm glad the little cutie seems to be alright. He sure is going to give his momma a run for her money. Might want to pick up some valium and wine for YOU, and stick in the bird emergency kit. ;)

Last edited:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Well he's back on his game today. What was his first move? He flew to the top of the TV and started flapping his wings and posturing at it. Apparently he now needs to prove he's tougher then ANY TV that might knock him down. *sighs* Well at least he didn't fly into it hehehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.