• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Koko's feathers

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
She has 3 that look like this. All I see is her preening nothing out of the ordinary. She pulls her play towel under the couch and waits for me to pull it away from her over and over.. I'm wondering if she's banging her feathers up from doing that. Today I unscrewed the legs on the couch and took them off. It's an old couch and I was worried it might have metal she could get to. She's not happy with me. 20211124_181412.jpg

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yah, I'm really not seeing anything oddly wrong. It does not look like wear to me, if there was wear you would have thinner feathers and black wear marks.... With the surrounding feathers looking pristine I say throw her in a bath and see what comes of it.

Good soaking shower and pictures showing the whole bird. :laugh:

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Thanks Sarah, I feel better. I'll get you some pictures after she has a shower. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Looks like she needs to do some preening too.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Woah,she's absolutely gorgeous :heart:

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Thank you.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My Maxi Pionus parrots tend to be that way. Go a long time between showers and their feathers get beat up. After a good shower they preen and fix them up and they glow and look like that again. She looks awesome now and a happy girl.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gorgeous Koko! You had me worried, pretty girl!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She is perfect Carol. :) Just backed up into something under the couch or blanket and made some ruffles. Nothing a good bath every week won't mend.

Tails are hard for some macaws to keep zipped nice when ruffled. I only have two here that would mend a mess like you had. Completely normal.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Good to hear! I don't think she's really a parrot. She carries around foot toys and wants me to throw them for her to retrieve them. Lol

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Good to hear! I don't think she's really a parrot. She carries around foot toys and wants me to throw them for her to retrieve them. Lol
Floor birds are in a different league. I have two of those and I don't like when they do it. Maui and Korbel love fetching. It's a favorite game.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I don't care for it either. I would think they wouldn't feel as safe on the floor but Koko is in her own little world when she fetching... :hilarious:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't care for it either. I would think they wouldn't feel as safe on the floor but Koko is in her own little world when she fetching... :hilarious:
Some like the floor and others do not. Usually the flyers like to stay up. Korbel will get on the floor if I'm on the floor otherwise no way. Maui would live on the floor, Sakie too.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd had missing and bad feathers on one wing so he made short hops and emergency flights. He walked everywhere and had really big thighs. Lurch only ended up on the floor on accident once he got his strength and flights back. Dobby pops on the floor whenever he sees a toy or anything else he wants. He fully learned to fly down and maneuver like a jet. Nerd accidently got booted a few times and we learned to watch for him and shuffle our feet, he learned not to trust us to see him and make traveling music when he was walking on the floor. Dobby hasn't been a problem because he's in till everyone is home and settled for the rest of the day. He tends to do it as we are watching so we usually know when he's down and we aren't walking around too.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Koko is beautiful. I wish we (humans) could see all the colors they see that we can't.

JaKhu's tail feathers get looking like this too. She plays hard, so her tail is often sticking out the top of her cage or the sides, etc., as she hangs upside down or rolls around on the floor grate playing with foot toys on her back. She beat the crap out of her baby tail feathers & had them all damaged or broken. Since then she has learned to be a little more cautious with her tail, but still hasn't reached the age she remembers to move her tail to prevent damaging it. As others said a good shower usually straightens those feathers out again. New ones coming in can look like this too & a shower helps.