• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Koko and macadamia nuts

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I've been trying to get Koko to open a macadamia nut and after the 4th time of her getting mad and throwing it she wouldn't even look at me. She can ignore me so well! 20201110_154606.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Awww Koko... no one is judging you! Patience and persistence my dear will get you all the goodies in the world!

Lol, poor Koko, you need to drill a hole in it to start it for her ;)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
So beautiful!

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I'm going to have my husband drill a small hole for her. I just love her look when I said you want to try again? :laugh:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Bowser hates macadamia nuts! They don’t come in our house lol. He’s on team Koko. :p
Hates them? Even when opened?

Carol, have your husband use a vice to crack it. Even drilling a hole will frustrate her.
When we were Hyacinth newbies... OMG I had never ordered shelled macadamias... THe hy's would break them so easy but we wanted to try one. I took a hammer and headed to the garage. Yah, it's like hitting a rubber ball! I hit that thing and almost took the hammer to the face! :rofl: If you try a hammer you have to put it in a towel and set it in something that will hold it steady. A vice is best.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Are there any birds that can crack them without someone starting it for them? Just curious.

She's beautiful!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Are there any birds that can crack them without someone starting it for them? Just curious.

She's beautiful!
Hy’s

Burt also can crack them but some of them are too tough for him so he either bores a hole to eat it out of or grinds a line into those ones to weaken them. Some he can crack in a few minutes and some he will have to work on for quite some time.

Last edited:

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just a FYI: Macadamia nuts are highly toxic to dogs. I had to stop buying them, because even a tiny piece caused my poodle to froth at the mouth, get dizzy, throw up & be very lethargic. So if you also have a dog try to avoid them from scarfing any bits of macadamia nuts off the floor.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I didn't know about the toxicity issue with dogs, so thank you. My green wing can open some of them, like Burt can - by boring a hole or grinding a crack in them. I can take her a couple days to break into one. I'm not sure it's worth it for her. I usually just give her walnuts, almonds, brazils and hazelnuts instead.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh dear! I didn’t know about the dog issue either. My dog eats them (a lot) and I have never had an issue, same with grapes! Maybe I need to read up some more.

Edit to add: Had a quick read and my guess is that maybe I’ve been lucky as my dog is huge. I knew about pecans, almonds, walnuts and pistachio (all of which my dog also scrounges and gulps down with gusto!) bring problematic but not macadamias- thank you for the information.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hank could open a macadamia without too much problem, but Jasper would just roll them around and around in her beak like a toy and finally just abandon them.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Oh dear! I didn’t know about the dog issue either. My dog eats them (a lot) and I have never had an issue, same with grapes! Maybe I need to read up some more.

Edit to add: Had a quick read and my guess is that maybe I’ve been lucky as my dog is huge. I knew about pecans, almonds, walnuts and pistachio (all of which my dog also scrounges and gulps down with gusto!) bring problematic but not macadamias- thank you for the information.
Almonds, pecans and walnuts are also bad for dogs?? My dogs both eat whatever gets dropped, including the shells. It would be really hard to stop this entirely, although I do try to grab them when I see them on the floor.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Almonds, pecans and walnuts are also bad for dogs?? My dogs both eat whatever gets dropped, including the shells. It would be really hard to stop this entirely, although I do try to grab them when I see them on the floor.
Yes there’s a heap of them that are no good and grapes are also bad but all my dogs loved grapes and never showed any issues after eating them. The floor in Burt’s areas is where my dog gets hers from too! She is over 50kg so maybe I’ve got lucky due to her size.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwwww, Koko. :heart: Mac nuts in the shell are tough breaking for our Winged Victory boy and can chip his beak even trying. You can buy unsalted shelled Mac nuts online. Older nuts are very tough and the best time for softer shell (although still not SOFT!!) is autumn to spring time frame during harvest.