• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Kiwi is not okay

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
Hi. Kiwi all of a sudden has become lethargic. He is not eating offered foods and treats, he is not getting out of the cage readily, he is not moving very much, He is not preening, all of his feathers are flat, his eyes are half closed, breathing is hard, he is silent versus his usual running around and screaming at the top of his lungs. Lemony, our other bird who has eaten the same foods, and been in the same places is absolutely fine. Our regular vet is not picking up the phone, we are emailing her. We have gotten in touch with another vet clinic and have a 8:30AM appointment. What should we do tonight? Should we take him to the emergency vet? Is lemony safe? He is out now, should we put him back in the cage?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If they’re not well it’s usually keep them quiet in a smaller area for that is warm and quiet.
I really hope everything will be ok.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If you were to go to a vet tonight, would that vet have bird experience? That should be your deciding factor. Your bird is not well. As you know. :(

If you have electrolytes, put that in his water. Thrive is one. I can't seem to think of the name of the one I use. If no birdie ones, go to the grocery and get pedialyte from the kids' section, and dilute it in water.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry to hear this, I hope Kiwi will be okay!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
If they’re not well it’s usually keep them quiet in a smaller area for that is warm and quiet.
I really hope everything will be ok.
Completely agree with this. I once read keeping sick birds warm helps the most while you wait/get them to a vet. That way their energy can be use to fight whatever sickness they have instead trying to keep warm.

Such a difficult situation, I hope Kiwi will be okay and recover.

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
I’m sorry to worry all of you, but it appears he got better as fast as he got sick. He had two odd droppings (watery and lots of it despite not eating and drinking in a while) and proceeded to preen and sing at the same time. All symptoms seem have subsided- thank you for all of the quick responses. We will continue to keep an eye on him. Please let me know if you still think that the vet is needed, because we don’t want to hold the vets up, only taking emergencies now, and don’t want to go out during this time.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m sorry to worry all of you, but it appears he got better as fast as he got sick. He had two odd droppings (watery and lots of it despite not eating and drinking in a while) and proceeded to preen and sing at the same time. All symptoms seem have subsided- thank you for all of the quick responses. We will continue to keep an eye on him. Please let me know if you still think that the vet is needed, because we don’t want to hold the vets up, only taking emergencies now, and don’t want to go out during this time.
Well, shut my mouth! (Southern saying)

Kiwi, you little rascal. We're glad you are better. :heart:

Honestly, I'd still keep him warm and quiet, and probably do the electrolytes.

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
Well, shut my mouth! (Southern saying)

Kiwi, you little rascal. We're glad you are better. :heart:

Honestly, I'd still keep him warm and quiet, and probably do the electrolytes.
should I also keep him and lemony separated? They are a bonded pair and not seeing each other for that long will cause a lot of stress to both, something we don’t want for either of them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
should I also keep him and lemony separated? They are a bonded pair and not seeing each other for that long will cause a lot of stress to both, something we don’t want for either of them.
Boy that's a tough one. I probably wouldn't, but a smart person probably would. :laugh:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Honestly I still would, how you describe him really had me worried. I'm grateful he's doing better but I'm not sure Kiwi is out the woods yet.
Boy that's a tough one. I probably wouldn't, but a smart person probably would. :laugh:
Yeah I'm torn on this too. It's probably best to keep them separate but added stress is never a good thing

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
Okay, so we are going to keep them apart for now, but that’s subject to change. We will cancel the vet, seeing as they had appointments within hours. And hope that kiwi is well. (Separation being cages on opposite ends of the room so they can still see each other and not be overly stressed, and letting them out of the cage at separate times) as good news, he is singing, preening, dancing, and running around. To brighten the mood here is a cute picture of I’m from a while ago.

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Okay, so we are going to keep them apart for now,
Separation being cages on opposite ends of the room so they can still see each other and not be overly stressed, and letting them out of the cage at separate times
...sounds like a good plan... and, as always, closely monitoring the situation...;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So glad Kiwi is ok!
Similar thing happened to my Sydney recently and turned out to be nothing.