• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi having problems again.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
We have had Snow and freezing rain Since like last Sun. Got up Tuesday and found her laying on the floor of her small cage. I thought she was dead but she was looking back at me and sorta reacting. I woke my sister up and told her Kiwi was leaving us and I scooped her up and went to my recliner to hold her and try to get her food and water. She kept drifting off and waking back up. She decided Apples were yummy and was taking big bites, then drift away again. Got her to occasionally drink and eat different things between just flopping down and sleeping.
No vets open and unsafe to drive.
Later in the evening she was mostly sleeping and we let Dobby out and I think he scared her and she started jerking and her right foot curled up, thought she was having a stroke and she fell onto the crook of my arm and fell asleep. After about 45 minutes she just suddenly popped up and wanted food and water.
I remember hearing somebody thrashing around in their cage early in the morning but nobody started screaming so figured they had a fright and gathered themselves up and went back to sleep :sad8:
I'm not sure if she fell and bonked her head or a stroke but something happened.
We turned up the heat, lost power for part of the day, and kept trying to feed and water her. Whatever she would eat or drink she got. I did force some water and pop in her with a syringe when she was refused anything. Over night she hung in there and I kept wandering out to check on her.
We put a towel down and put her favorite perch down low but as soon as we put her in she climbed up to the normal perches and wobbly stayed put. She started being more active and going down to eat and drink on her own. She clicks and makes the chicken crow noise she loves and her feet are working better etc.
Our main vet hasn't called back yet, probably closed for the storm, and another one texted back that they still don't do birds.
I also had to go under last Saturday to thaw out the frozen pipe to the master bathroom then had to fix the drive through gate that got slammed by a 45 mph gust in 12 degrees with 45 gusts before all this happened. Hoping for the best but she seems to be getting better on her own and definitely getting more vocal and eating, she is over 20, we know that much. Keep her in your good thoughts and hopefully the vet opens back up and can check her out again as they were supposed to check on her from the last visit till the storm hit.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry Kiwi is having problems. That's so scary! Having horrible weather can make medical emergencies so much harder to deal with. I hope she feels better and you can get her checked out at vet's soon.

If possible I recommend putting in some kind of "hospital" cage even if it's travel carrier. If not possible I'd lower all her perches down. I'd also keep her as warm as possible. In a health crisis with Birds keeping them warmer can helps them recover faster. This link explains why better than I could

Nursing Care for Sick Pet Birds | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals.

Sadly I know that's easier said than done during power outages. I so sorry you both are dealing with this. My best wishes go out to you! :bighug:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh no! Keep us updated, sending Kiwi lots of love :heart:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no so sorry to hear this. I hope she'll continue to show improvement and be feeling better.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Sorry to hear this I hope she’s ok sending positive vibes

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Wow, Terry, you sure have had enough on your plate this week. My worst nightmare is bad weather and a sick bird.
Sounds like you've been taking care of everything as well as anyone ever could.
My thoughts are with both you and Kiwi. I hope she continues to improve.
:sadhug2: :sadhug2:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Sending well wishes for Kiwi! :heart:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Kiwi seems to be slowly getting better. Her feet still bother her a bit but she's eating, vocal, and active most of the time. She's eating and drinking and begging for treats. The vet still hasn't called us back but weekend and still iffy. I no longer feel like she could just check out now and she seems to remember me holding her and cuddling and feeding her. She doing the crazy chicken and hanging from the bars and shaking her feet up and down real fast like she did when was feeling OK.
Hopefully she keeps doing better and I bet the vet will call tomorrow.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Vet called back today and said they had only went into the office a few times to make sure everything was OK during the storm and did we want to bring her in. Considering she seems to be coming around more each day we all decided to just keep an eye on her and bring her in if she has a relapse. She was quite vocal and excited as sister talked to them on the phone and allowed me to scritch the top of her head through the bars. She also grabbed my finger and tried to put pressure on it so I took it away and told her to be good. She never really tries to just do a immediate bad bite, she kinda works up to it and sometimes just licks your finger while she hangs on.