• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi going through a hard molt

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Hey guys,

I know I have made many threads today, but this time, I really need advice! My budgie kiwi has been molting for about a week and a half now, and everyday, it seems to get worse with more pin feathers growing. He sleeps a lot more since molting takes up a lot of energy. He sleeps, eats, flies and plays normally. Although, he is not as active and is most of the time puffed up and sleeping. While he sleeps, he always grinds his beak and sleeps in a good position. He sings, tail wags and head bobs a lot! I hate seeing my little girl in such condition and I feel like the pin feathers aren’t going anywhere! She’s taken a few baths, but not that much. What else can I do to make her feel better? Any suggestions? Thanks

(Btw, the pictures do not show all the other pin feathers on his neck. There are A LOT more on his tail, neck and cheeks)

Attachments

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Commenting so I get info too! Preeno is moulting a lot now as well but he's still very active.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Commenting so I get info too! Preeno is moulting a lot now as well but he's still very active.
Budgies being sleeping during a molt is normal right? It says so online...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh my goodness is he ever cute.

when Murphy was with me his molts were beyond bad. Especially his big poofy head. He rubbed it on perches sometimes to the point of bleeding. I took him to the vet but not much could be done. I mixed a bit of aloe in water and squirted his head gently.

clarousel

I can't remember if I read this about moulting but is it advised to give calcium during moults? Like egg shells?

Preeno currently has a lot of pinnies on his head and cheeks but he doesn't seem that fussed. It's his first moult and my first time experiencing this so I'm not too sure about being more sleepy!

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
I can't remember if I read this about moulting but is it advised to give calcium during moults? Like egg shells?

Preeno currently has a lot of pinnies on his head and cheeks but he doesn't seem that fussed. It's his first moult and my first time experiencing this so I'm not too sure about being more sleepy!
Yes, I like to give them cuttlebone (same as calcium), not sure about egg shells (sounds unusual to feed a bird). I am not sure if it helps, but I feel as though it’s necessary

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Oh my goodness is he ever cute.

when Murphy was with me his molts were beyond bad. Especially his big poofy head. He rubbed it on perches sometimes to the point of bleeding. I took him to the vet but not much could be done. I mixed a bit of aloe in water and squirted his head gently.
Lol! My budgies LOVE to itch their head on their rope perches. Especially now since their moulting. I am curious if anyone has experienced a sleepy bird during a moult as well?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Just give her lots of bathing opportunities to help soften the sheaths, my budgies are both molting right now, and have been taking more baths and rubbing their heads on their perches (not that the rope perch Kiwi always rubs his head on helps :roflmao:)

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Just give her lots of bathing opportunities to help soften the sheaths, my budgies are both molting right now, and have been taking more baths and rubbing their heads on their perches (not that the rope perch Kiwi always rubs his head on helps :roflmao:)
I put out a cup of water and kiwi just dived in!! She LOVES bathing!:laughing6:

Attachments

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Oh, kiwi! You are so cute. Monaco was miserable too, especially with those big tail feathers and coverts. I did take her to the bathroom for higher humidity. She didn't want a shower, so we hung out with steam a few times, until she got interested in a shower. I bet those big ones hurt, but the porcupine head was her worst mood yet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is advisable to offer protein foods during molts such as eggs. Protein helps new feathers to grow just as it does for humans. Not so much for calcium.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
It is advisable to offer protein foods during molts such as eggs. Protein helps new feathers to grow just as it does for humans. Not so much for calcium.
I've tried many times offering my budgies egg, but they don't like it! Any advice on how I can trick them into eating it?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've tried many times offering my budgies egg, but they don't like it! Any advice on how I can trick them into eating it?
Maybe stick some seed in it? I’ve never had any issues giving it to mine, they wanted it the moment they saw it :lol:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Millet seeds may work.