• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kitten Has A Nasty Scab & Boogers

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
So my foster kitten has a thumbnail sized scab on his back. And it keeps opening up (probably whenever I let him out to play), around every other day. Is there something I can buy to put on it? Also he sniffles a tiny bit and has boogers. Not a lot, though. Is there something I can buy for that as well? He'll get over it with time, but it would be nice to help him along.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
A really nice cure all is manuka honey (antibacterial properties), or chestnut honey if you can't get the manuka. Honey keeps the wound dry so it heals faster.

As far as the nasal discharge... I'd feel better if it were checked by a vet. A newely fostered kitten we had, had it butwas also malnourished etc.. It turned out to be pneumonia :(. The kitty was too weak to beat the disease.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Please get her looked at by the vet so he/she can prescribe a good antibiotic for what sounds like an upper respiratory infection. If her nose gets too congested she won't be able to smell her food and that will lead to her not eating and going downhill quickly.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
A really nice cure all is manuka honey (antibacterial properties), or chestnut honey if you can't get the manuka. Honey keeps the wound dry so it heals faster.

As far as the nasal discharge... I'd feel better if it were checked by a vet. A newely fostered kitten we had, had it butwas also malnourished etc.. It turned out to be pneumonia :(. The kitty was too weak to beat the disease.
My brother had mentioned honey has healing properties, I didn't know you could put it on a cat. I'll get some. Thanks. I mentioned it to the rescue, but they haven't said much. He will get a checkup at least before he's ready to be adopted. Don't worry, kitten is very strong. He was in very bad shape when he was rescued, but is making up for lost time now.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Please get her looked at by the vet so he/she can prescribe a good antibiotic for what sounds like an upper respiratory infection.
I asked the shelter. It's a few boogers and small sniffles/sneezes. Couldn't it be a cold? Or do cats not get colds? It is mild.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
My brother had mentioned honey has healing properties, I didn't know you could put it on a cat. I'll get some. Thanks. I mentioned it to the rescue, but they haven't said much. He will get a checkup at least before he's ready to be adopted. Don't worry, kitten is very strong. He was in very bad shape when he was rescued, but is making up for lost time now.

You didn't read the rest of my comment. If a cat/kitten can't smell it's food it will stop eating and then it is only a matter of time before the body shuts down. You also might want to take him into a steamy bathroom to loosen up the mucus.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
You didn't read the rest of my comment. If a cat/kitten can't smell it's food it will stop eating and then it is only a matter of time before the body shuts down. You also might want to take him into a steamy bathroom to loosen up the mucus.
Sorry! I'm afraid the bathroom would scare him, but I'll think on it if necessary. How long is a matter of time? I will keep a closer eye until he can get to a vet.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
Sorry! I'm afraid the bathroom would scare him, but I'll think on it if necessary. How long is a matter of time? I will keep a closer eye until he can get to a vet.
Going downhill after they stop eating? I was told by my vet 72 hours, plus these damn things do linger.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
This is a photo of a little kitten that someone had rescued. As you can see this an upper respiratory issue gone a muck. This is not to say that your little guy would have gotten anywhere close to this but I am glad he is going to the vet.

Attachments

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
This is a photo of a little kitten that someone had rescued. As you can see this an upper respiratory issue gone a muck. This is not to say that your little guy would have gotten anywhere close to this but I am glad he is going to the vet.
Oh wow. Poor thing. Did he recover fully?
My little one was rescued on my vacation. Found him, starving, weak, covered in scabs, and missing hair. He looks brand new, now. He's a fighter.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
To piggyback on what @GoDucks said, cats not eating can quickly become a medical emergency.

My cat Luna was on a very long stretch of antibiotics to fight an upper respiratory infection that she just couldn't seem to shake. The antibiotics screwed up her gut flora and she lost her appetite, which resulted in a $900 vet bill (emergency + feeding tube insertion), and we had to feed her a slurry of food through a feeding tube inserted in her neck over the next week. She bounced back pretty quickly with a different antibiotic (doxycycline vs. long-term amoxicillin) and thrice-daily tube feedings with a high-calorie "critical care" food.

She had gone from normal to early fatty liver in about 48-60 hours.

I cannot stress to cat owners enough how important it is to watch their food intake and to monitor for changes in appetite and litterbox habits. Not eating and trouble urinating (urinary blockage/bladder stones) can become life-threatening emergencies incredibly quickly.

If your cat is put on antibiotics for a respiratory infection, please ask your vet about pro/pre-biotics, and monitor your cat's food intake closely for the duration of the antibiotic treatment.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
[/QUOTE]
Oh wow. Poor thing. Did he recover fully?
My little one was rescued on my vacation. Found him, starving, weak, covered in scabs, and missing hair. He looks brand new, now. He's a fighter.

Yes, she did. She was put on three different antibiotics. This is her latest photo on top, you can compare the two.

Your little guy would have perished if not for your compassion. Thank you for rescuing him.

Attachments

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Kitty cold:

IF symptoms are mild and any discharge is clear, I usually give l-lysine and take to the vet if symptoms still persist.

Close eye should be kept on open wounds, they can abscess.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
To piggyback on what @GoDucks said, cats not eating can quickly become a medical emergency.

My cat Luna was on a very long stretch of antibiotics to fight an upper respiratory infection that she just couldn't seem to shake. The antibiotics screwed up her gut flora and she lost her appetite, which resulted in a $900 vet bill (emergency + feeding tube insertion), and we had to feed her a slurry of food through a feeding tube inserted in her neck over the next week. She bounced back pretty quickly with a different antibiotic (doxycycline vs. long-term amoxicillin) and thrice-daily tube feedings with a high-calorie "critical care" food.

She had gone from normal to early fatty liver in about 48-60 hours.

I cannot stress to cat owners enough how important it is to watch their food intake and to monitor for changes in appetite and litterbox habits. Not eating and trouble urinating (urinary blockage/bladder stones) can become life-threatening emergencies incredibly quickly.

If your cat is put on antibiotics for a respiratory infection, please ask your vet about pro/pre-biotics, and monitor your cat's food intake closely for the duration of the antibiotic treatment.
Thank you. I am saving this message so i will definitely mention it if it is a respiratory infection. I appreciate the help.

Last edited:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Yes, she did. She was put on three different antibiotics. This is her latest photo on top, you can compare the two.

Your little guy would have perished if not for your compassion. Thank you for rescuing him.
Aw, I wish her the best! She deserves it!
I really appreciate that. Animals are my passion. I always want to have the resources to rescue animals in need.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Okay so the vet visit went great. They told us he was good. They gave us some Feline L-Lysine Paste. He just needs some more time to heal. :heart:
Thank you guys for all your help! I am very happy he is going to be okay.