• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kidney damage in Rainbow lorikeet

Lillith

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lilly
Hi Guys, I'm looking for support and hope for my beautiful rainbow Lucky who recently recovered from heavy metal poisoning last week. Unfortunately, this has severely damaged his kidneys and he has high uric acid (around 7) and possible grout. He is back in hospital on fluids to attempt to give his kidneys another chance to recover but the vet doesn't seem too optimistic. (If treatment doesn't work he was given a life expectancy of a few weeks to months). I've been researching diet and medications that may help in his recovery when he gets home in 3 days. I would love to hear your thoughts on what I can do to give him the best chance to heal and/or prolong his life. I would love even more to hear amazing recovery stories of birds who recovered from kidney disease as hope is all I have right now.
I was told as this is his second round of fluids his kidneys are less likely to recover (but some birds pull though)... 3ed round is again less likely but I don't want to quit on my baby... at the same time I don't want to miss out on quality time with him while he's in hospital. I'm soo lost.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have no experience with this health issue, but wanted to say that I am sorry that you and Lucky are going through this.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I am so sorry you and Lucky have had this happen! :sadhug: Hopefully someone with experience with Kidney disease will post soon!