• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kicking myself. Could have killed my birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

di_dee1

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Di
I have not put this in the emergency section as one and a half hours have passed and all seems well.

As usual, with most accidents or near accidents it was inattention.

I was doing about 3 things at once in the kitchen. (nothing cooking on the stove as birds were out)
I put some spinach in a microwave rice cooker (I always do veges in the microwave) put it in, put it on for 4mts and off I went to cut dogs meat. The spinach was for her too, she hates it raw and as she is near whelping I am adding it to her diet well cooked. Birds were out happily with hubby in the loungeroom. I smelled burning plastic, opened microwave. I had put no water in with the spinach :omg: A hole had melted on the base of this microwave container. Smoke and fumes billowed out.

Windows were closed as we had the aircon on (a wall one)

I yelled to hubby to get the birds back to cage and open the window behind them, turn on ceiling fan there and other one other side of room. I stopped the smoking plastic or whatever it is cookware that was fuming the place up. All doors open, all windows open (have good cross flow) and 4 ceiling fans on. Their cage is too big to move.

One and a half hours later all seems to be well with the birds and I think my heartbeat is back to normal.

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
oh I am so glad everything is all right thanks for the reminder:hug8:

di_dee1

Real Name
Di
No problem. I think it is good we post things that our inattention causes as reminders. They are roosting now and doing the usual nightly squabble. It is 8pm, dusk.

di_dee1

Real Name
Di
Yea, hasn't to me though, lol. All still good and sleeping well.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
:jawdrop: I'm so relieved everyone is alright. Bet you didn't know you could move so fast. Thanks for the reminder.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I DO NOT heat ANYTHING in plastic in the micowave!
"The concern is that if you heat up plastic food containers, utensils or plastic wrap, some of these chemicals could be released into food or beverage." taken from:
Cooking with Plastics
I just think it is easier to use glass products and be on the safe side...:hug8:
So glad you posted this and GLAD everything is OK:dancing:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
thanks for the reminder - and glad all are ok there!

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
OMG, I am glad that all is well! You must have been beside yourself! Time to settle down with a good cuppa and relax! :hug8:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
your not alone hun i have a bad habit of putting something on stove come in to comp as its going to take 20 39 min well i get lost in comp
and all of a sudden i smell its burnt or very dry , so now i use a timer or use my rice cooker
i been very lucky been able to catch it befor to bad

im thankfull your birds are safe and alls well like bety said i use dishes in mike and place a plate on top extra to wash but i like it better than plastic
doll mango

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I have done this too while cooking something on the stove..(just another reason not to use teflon as we do get distracted. ) The odor of the burning and smoke is soooo bad.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
When accidents happen they happen so suddenly and when we least expect them to. That is why they are called Accidents I suppose!
We can never be careful enough and they still sometimes go wrong.
Thank goodness all is well with you and your birds. :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
One of th ebest things you can do, if you have microwave smoke (just smoke, not a real fire or something to be TOO worried about), put the birds in a bedroom that has been closed up with NO smoke. And then air out the house with windows/doors wide open.

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
Well Im glad all is well. and hug's for the scare you got!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:omg: how scary..t hanks for the reminder.

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Woohoo! Glad everyones ok. Little bit of a scare, but accidents happened and you reacted quickly!

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Oh that is so scary! I am glad that all is well.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
omg, I'm glad all is well!! :hug8:

di_dee1

Real Name
Di
Thank you all. It is now 10. 23 am and all is well. The cooking container was a made for the microwave one, not just a plastic one from the cupboard and the bird's cage is too big to move fast. I do have a holiday cage in the other room but running to open doors, put fans on took first priority. My birds would have been caught easily in cage but boofhead is another story. Thank goodness he had gone back into cage to pig out. In hindsight though, taking mine to the other end of house by hubby when I yelled then getting him would have been better but it happened so fast. I wanted the fans on fast and could not do that with Angel and Bub out of cage.As the air cleared very quickly I preferred them in an airflowing environment as I know they do 100pc air intake with every breath and I needed it diluted as fast as possible. Luckily they were not in the kitchen. They never are when I am even microwaving but they are when I am at times preparing, they adore hubby and stick to him when he is around.
Our house is 70ft long and windows and doors each side in the openish plan living, lounge, dining areas with the kitchen area in the middle and ceiling fans each area. You are right, I have never moved so fast and neither has he.lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.