• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kentucky people ~ Help get Pika and Pixel home please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eterri

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Most of you don't know me and aren't familiar with my situation, but my name is Terri (eterri on a lot of other bird forums in the past) and until a couple of years ago, birds were a huge part of my life. I had a flock of several budgies, a cockatiel, two conures, and an ekkie. I was (and still am) a huge advocate of the welfare of budgies in particular and created as well as maintained the website, budgietalk.com, which is no longer active due to the situation I'll explain below. Right now I'm just coming to fellow bird lovers for help in getting two of them home.

Nearly two years ago, I had to give up all of my pets (birds included) due to my husband deciding on a whim that he wanted to "live for himself" leaving me with very little time to get things together, hardly any money, and no place to live. Thanks to some amazing fellow bird lovers and friends they were taken to safe places and well taken care of. But I never saw them again and all my efforts to get them back have failed. It was hard enough getting my own life back on track, let alone trying to quickly put together a home and situation that allowed birds again. It was only six months ago that I finally found a better paying job and a living situation to support myself and not long after that happened, I emailed Pika and Pixel's foster to see if it might be possible to get them home.

It turns out that she has been having very serious health issues and either way, she cannot keep them. I know that they will be ok no matter what (she has gone above and beyond for them all this time) and if they don't come home they will be going to a reputable rescue, but I would much rather just have them home, obviously. :( I've said goodbye to so many things the past couple of years that it would be nice to finally see these two again. I had these two the longest out of my entire flock.

These two have to stay together and are bonded in a crazy way, as you can see from an old video below:

Trip Details:
They are being fostered in Richmond, VA. This trip must be made the first weekend in February and so far it looks like this (I apologize that I don't have time/distance details yet but this is all tentative):

Richmond, VA to Charlottesville, VA: filled

Charlottesville, VA to Lewisport, WV: NEEDED!!!

Lewisport, WV to Charleston, WV: most likely filled

Charleston, WV to Grayson, KY: most likely filled

This is NOT set in stone so if you're anywhere near these areas and could help if the route were changed a bit, please let me know. I am located in Owensboro, KY and will be doing the Grayson to Owensboro leg but if need be I can try to drive farther. It's the first part of the trip that I'm most worried about and if we can get that little part to come together, Pika and Pixel WILL be coming home.

Please share this with anyone you know who might be able to help. As mentioned, there isn't a lot of time left to get this together and we are SO CLOSE to making this happen. If you can help in any way please try. I can't put to words how much it would mean to me to FINALLY have some of what I consider my family back.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am not in that area, but I wish you God Speed and the best of luck getting your babies back.

Ginger

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
I wish I were in the area you needed help. Sure hope you get them back, they are adorable.

eterri

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks you guys, keeping my fingers crossed! :)

eterri

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Just updating, I got a better idea of what legs are needed for the trip. It's all extremely tentative so if you know anyone near any of these areas please let me know.

Richmond, VA to Charlottesville, VA: filled (?)

Charlottesville, VA to Lewisburg, WV: ***NEEDED***

Lewisburg, WV to Charleston, WV: filled (?)

Charleston, WV to Grayson, KY: filled (?)

Grayson, KY to Lexington, KY: NEEDED (but if not filled I can lengthen my drive)

Lexington, KY to Owensboro, KY: filled

The question marks mean I might have found someone but it's not set in stone so could always use back up.

Thanks for looking and for the support. :) I am keeping my fingers crossed.

eterri

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Quick update! Might have found transport for 99% of the trip via someone who just happens to be coming from VA to a town just an hour away from me that very weekend. Can't ask for much more. Fingers crossed it works out!!!!!!!!!!! :dance4:

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Hi Terri :)

Good to see you, I wish I could help but no where close.

I have faith it will all be filled :)

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Terri ~ fingers crossed that works out!

eterri

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Aleeeeex. I feel like I'm following you around at this point! Lol. :)

It's all coming together in an almost creepy fashion. I'm so excited! Just gotta get them from Richmond, VA to Stanardsville, VA and it's 100%!!! And most of it will be done by one person who was coming this way from that way on that very weekend to visit family anyway!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hope it all works out for you.

eterri

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks. :)

Still looking for part of the trip, fingers crossed.

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Its ok, I dont mind you following me :lol: Its good to see you, its been a while :)

*fingers still crossed!*

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Sounds like it's getting there. I've got fingers and toes crossed that it will work out for you to get your babies back. I know that would be great for you. Let us know what happens.

sueb45

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sue
Good luck and Welcome to the Avenue!

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Fingers and toes crossed here too!!! Good Luck!!!!

cher

Attachments

eterri

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks you guys. :) Well, it didn't really work out as I had hoped but I ran the numbers over and over, tightened my budget, and I'm going to be driving up Friday to pick them up myself. Wish me luck, it's a LONG drive, but will be very nice to be with them on their journey and see some old friends at the same time.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Glad you are going Friday. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.