• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping the wings in check

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
So E (B&G Macaw) has learned how to fly, land not so well, but he's got the flying thing down really well lol.

The problem I'm having right now is that every time I pick him up he wants to start flapping his wings! Its not a balance issue any more its more of a "I can, therefore I will" issue.

Most times if I raise my free hand and tell him no flapping he will stop, but any ideas on how to keep him from doing this in the first place?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
to keep Percy from flying off I would cover his back with my other hand I do not know since your bird is a lot bigger

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Ray will occassionally decide he wants to "take off" in an inappropriate place. I turn him to face me - they kind of need an open path to take off, usually. I talk to him and get his attention as well, they need to look in the direction they plan to go so keeping his attention on my face helps. Reassuring that it's ok to stay put, distract and block the flight path.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I'll just hover my hand over Jasper's back and face him towards me when I need him to not flap. Seems to work. I do the same thing with the budgies, but they sometimes just launch themselves anyway unless I'm actually touching their wings.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Wen that is a good idea!

The larger birds need more of a path than the shorties do.;)

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
With Koba I also just place my hand on her back and that usually works. But sometimes they just do what they wanna. :lol:

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Well I tried that this morning and it worked, until I took my hand away lol. But I think with enough practice he will get the idea! Thanks everyone!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Why would you want to stop it? Flapping is GREAT excersize and much much needed. And if he is fully flighted, th ebetter, more excersize and you'll have a well behaved bird.

He is still young, correct? So give him time to settle down and get used to flying and get used to his wings. Flying isnt 100% down yet for him as he is still acting like they are a new thing to him. I say in another 3-5months, he'll have it 100% down, as he'll know how to maneuver in flight, etc, and he'll be much calmer.:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Also with Gra, my scarlet macaw (rip), If I didnt want her taking off(which she never did, but as precautions I would) I would just hold my fingers over her toes, until I gave her the cue to fly, and then she'd fly :)

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
The only time I want him to stop Mercedez is when I pick him up to move him somewhere else or am holding him. His wing span is huge lol. A lot of times I will be getting him down from the net on the ceiling and that's when I get whacked in the face. I do have my fingers over his toes, and he knows he's not going anywhere but will still just flap away!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It will take time for him to get used to his wings :) How old is he?

Perhaps he is a bit off balance, so he flaps his wings to keep balance? Are you moving too fast? Do you have a restless quick energy about you (impatience?)?

I know if I was running late, or was a bit impatient to get my fids back into my room, I'd walk a bit faster. And all my fids who I was handling at the time being, would flap their wings, just because I was walking a bit faster, and it helps keep their balance.

Give him tim,e he'll get over it :)

Opa will still open up his wings if I grab him by his toes and scoop him up:heart: he feels he is losing balance, but soon realizes he is ok, his momma has him :D

It just takes time.:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Does he allow you to just scoop him up? I know I could never do that with Gra without a squawk of protest:rolleyes: But she'd allow me to.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
lol Mercedez, I've raised 6 kids. I learned years ago impatience itself is a waste of energy! He's really kinda cute when he does it because he looks at me as if to say "look Ma look what I can do!" He is still young, he is only 6 mos old. I just didn't want it to become one of those bad habits that should have been taken care of earlier KWIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.