• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping a Quick Move Stress Free

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
I am moving to the apartment across the hall. Tweety and cage be one of the last things I would be moving.

I plan to put him in the little cage for traveling I have (I need a better one eventually). Then I would have someone help me lift the cage (hey, I can lift it but my arms not wide enough to carry it) off the wheeled frame and carry it over to the new place. Then bring the frame and let Tweety back in. That is my plan.

The layout of the next apartment is exactly the same. Just cosmetically a bit different but I do not think he cares about the look of the faucets.

What I am wondering is how to make this stress free for him. I was told I should cover his cage so he does not see a lot of activity going on during the day (but he will hear it), and then bring him over at night.
Another thing I was told was to keep him covered for a couple of days after the move.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would not keep him covered for a couple of days after the move- in fact, I would not cover him at all, I would give him a safety corner in his cage but covering totally is crazy mean for a bird during the day no matter what the reason may be.

My last move had me bring Burt to the new home first and let him watch all the familiar furniture arrive but my current move is not going to happen anywhere near as easily or as organised due to numerous issues out of my control so he is currently sitting in a near empty room (loving the echo and making a tonne of noises and sounds lol) and will be taken to a house full of familiar stuff which will be unpacked and sorted out right under his beak- The thing I have learned during this extremely stressful and unpleasant time (crazy crap happening at my current home) is that my mood, energy, behaviour and interactions with them seems to mean more to all my birds (in their totally different situations and relationships with me) than the changes happening around them- Sure they get stressed when huge things are being moved or strange sounds occur but my encouragement and constant reassurances, explanations and time with them is what seems to offer them all the most comfort so I have been focussing more on my stress levels and noticing all birds are taking things in their stride really well.

Hope your move goes without the hiccups mine has had lol.

Reactions: tka

grafton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Grafton
You mention 'a wheeled frame.' Is it possible to just slowly roll the whole setup with Tweety in it to the new place?

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
@Shezbug, thank you for that information. I may do that. As of now, he is in a corner of my bedroom and going to the same corner as the other. Maybe he would like to be moved and see things "just coming back" as they were. I should also pull out my radio or boom box (yes, still have those) and play some relaxing music too. I got some good tapes and CDs he can listen to.

@grafton, I originally would have but I can not easily because of the sills of the doors. Easier for me and someone (of my three kids) to carry the top part and spend a minute walking it over. The top part of the cage is heavy where I would not want it shaking too much. I was originally thinking of wheeling it over (got a link to cage in my profile) but we will carry it and someone will carry the frame. Put the two together and let Tweety out of the carry cage.

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
Move done. He seems fine. Being Tweety, eating a lot and doing it proudly.
We moved his cage over to the spot, then I transferred him back in from the mini cage. I kept his cage closed all day and even night. Did not open it until this morning. He just flying around and chirping loudly as he normally does.
Bedroom looks 95% as it did before, minus posters hanging and view for window, but I do not think he notices. If he does, he not translating it to me. :)
I never had to move with a bird before. I founds it hard not to sanitize everything by (my) normal means. Still working out adjusting to how to clean things and not affect him.
Thanks, all, for your moving thoughts.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
Tweety doing his things as normal.
He gets to hear more birds outside, closer as there is a tree near the back deck outside the bedroom window.
Is it cold in your house? He looks a little fluffed up.

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
He does that sometimes. those shots were a couple of hours after the move. It is not freezing. I can not take heat so I only use heather if he needs it, or kids come over. Rarely gets cold in my place. Thermostat always a summer hot 70F. Terrible! I have to lock him in his cage when I need to use my fans. Heck, I use my fans even when it would say 40 or 50 because not warm blooded like you all.
Last night he was not fluffed. Just chirping and eating and swinging.