• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keep Tahlia in your thoughts (sad update #18)

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
This evening Tahlia, my Bullmastiff, was breathing very heavily along with restlessness and this went on for about 3 hours.
At about 1 am she was up to 135bpm, nonstop, so I made the call that it couldn’t wait till the morning & drove in. The office was very kind and understanding, definitely one of the best I’ve been to in my part of South Florida.

She immediately had an ultrasound done and it showed possible fluid/air in the abdomen. Cue my panic. They went ahead and drew a sample to get an idea of what it was, which turned out to be blood.
The diagnosis tonight is she has a small tumor on her spleen, either a cyst that ruptured or a mass of some kind.
This is what caused the internal bleeding. The better news is it’s not a severe bleed, she’s not anemic at all & is stable for tonight. In addition to the good news, she had her senior panel about 2 months ago and it was perfect, so I think we may have caught this very early. The mass couldn’t be palpated which is typically the number one symptom of this ailment; a distended stomach, and mass can be felt.

We’ll be heading to her primary vet in the morning for X-rays and more diagnostics on what we’re dealing with. I want to be as hopeful as possible for her but the high possibility of it being a Hemangiosarcoma is frightening. They don’t commonly have great outcomes and she’ll be turning 7 next month. So many stories have dogs who have a splenectomy lasting months at most.
I adore her and she’s been nothing but an angel for these 6 years. My number one concern is what’s best for her and what is reasonable for us to do for her.
Surgery to repair the bleed I think is the only option, but I’ll have to wait for the discussion tomorrow and what kind of tumor this is. She’s been put on cerenia, ondansetron and gabapentin to keep her comfortable and safe till tomorrow.

Keep her in your prayers y’all. She’s the best girl I could of ever asked to have & all my hope is going to her being the exception here. 4A3EAC4D-9CF9-4938-9220-EEC8FC73AC1E.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oh no, I´m so sorry this is happening! Poor Tahlia! But it sounds like you did catch it early - I hope the outcome is a positive one.
I will keep you all in my thoughts!!

Ps, she is beautiful!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sending prayers.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:sadhug2:
I'll keep Tahlia in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad she's in such good hands :heart:

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Oooooh I'm so sorry. Poor Thalia and poor you. She is beautiful dog and it sounds like she has a great personality. I really hope she will be ok. I'm sending to both of you good thoughts and positive energy. I wish her fast recovery.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that Tahlia will be OK.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Today is a devastating day. She was scheduled in for surgery earlier and as we were dotting the i’s for the diagnostics, her chest x-ray came back. Multiple masses on her lungs so the cancer metastasized. Because of the internal bleed near her spleen, it’s potentially two kinds of aggressive cancers. Would be selfish on our part to subject her and her case to any type of repair surgery or chemo.

She’d be 7 in September, but I know in my heart this is her time. It feels like I’m swallowing glass just considering saying goodbye tomorrow or the next day, but she needs me right now. She’s a wonderful dog and deserves the most comfortable situation possible. I’d give anything for her but now this is the best gift I can give

I’ve brought her home till she lets me know she’s ready or when her health tips me off. Her breathing settled down after being home. She’s on some good meds and had a whole steak tonight. Currently snoring away while I settle to sleep by her tonight. But in the next day or two we’ll be losing an amazing dog.
Keep us in your thoughts, she’s been my baby for 6 years and while this is beyond painful; I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat for her.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine what you are going through.
Enjoy every single moment together you have left.
Wishing you strength :sadhug:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry :sadhug2:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'll be holding you in my thoughts.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
She’s now at rest and while my heart is broken, I know this was the right choice. Once they tell you they’re ready, you just have to have faith and hold them tight in your heart.

Thank you everyone for keeping her in your thoughts, it means a lot. She will forever and always be treasured by myself and my family. She was one in a million. E07626EB-C99D-48DB-9806-F5488A0E5E56.jpeg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m so sorry, I truly am :( :sadhug:

rockoko