• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kale and spinach flowers edible?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I’ve let some of my vegetables in the garden go to seed and the kale and spinach as well as the cilantro and arugula have produced flowers or buds. Can my GCC eat these? I’ve found info online that makes it seem safe but does not specify the plants I’ve listed.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Kale flowers should be fine. Kale is in the same family as broccoli and cauliflower. Broccoli florets are just immature flower buds, which we typically harvest and eat before they open. But the flowers are still edible, even after they mature. They can be used as a colorful garnish and eaten raw or cooked. The same is true for bolted kale.

Spinach and lettuce leaves become quite bitter when the plant bolts. But the leaves and flowers are also still edible. Not sure how palatable the flowers would be, but they are safe to eat.

My chickens seem to like them. But the girls are not exactly picky eaters. :laugh:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Kale flowers should be fine. Kale is in the same family as broccoli and cauliflower. Broccoli florets are just immature flower buds, which we typically harvest and eat before they open. But the flowers are still edible, even after they mature. They can be used as a colorful garnish and eaten raw or cooked. The same is true for bolted kale.

Spinach and lettuce leaves become quite bitter when the plant bolts. But the leaves and flowers are also still edible. Not sure how palatable the flowers would be, but they are safe to eat.

My chickens seem to like them. But the girls are not exactly picky eaters. :laugh:
Super helpful; thank you!