• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

KAKARIKI - which gender to choose

Jenny93

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all,

I'm totaly obsessed with parrots! I started with one and now I'm about to get a 5th one. I have 2 conures and 2 budgies. I'm going to get a kakariki this saturday, but I don't know which gender to choose.
I built big cages for all my parots and I have a separate cage for the kakariki, but my intention is to try housing it with my budgies as it will have more space this way and I think they'll love it, because they're super energetic as well. I let them out twice a day every day. I've seen many people housing them together and I have a space for it if this doesn't work out so that's not the problem.
I just don't know what gender to get. From my experience the female parrots are always a bit more bossy and nippy and the males are more outgoing and friendly, but I don't know if that's the case with this species as well. I know it depends on the individual bird, but the breeder said the same thing and joked it's the same with people haha. He has 13 babies, so I'll have a lot to choose from. I just want to know what's their personality and if there are some gender specific traits I can take into account.
Please share your experience and help me choose the right one for me.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Omgoodness how exciting!!! I don't know anything about Kakariki, but for other parrots, I tend prefer female birds. :) Sorry that I couldn't help you, but congrats!!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Darklotus555 @Mark & Da Boyz I would say just go and see which bird seems to gravitate the most towards you and who you liked, but I tagged some members with Kakariki experience for further advice

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I had a Female, Riti, she was a wild thing and I couldn't ever really tame her down. But I haven't had anything to do with a Male Kakariki so I can't say if the guys are any better on whole that she was. I do remember reading that Kakarikis were brought in as Avery birds but we found them so appealing that we started trying to make pets of them. Some it works with and some are "Wild Child" birds.

Even though Riti wasn't a "Step Up" scritch me please kind of girl she was fun to watch and she would interact when food was involved. And I do mess her, she passed from cancer.

HangingoutonCheddarscage.jpg