• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

K&H heating panels and perches

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Does anyone here use these cage snuggle up heaters and heating perches?

I’d like to hear of others experiences with them as the reviews I’ve found seem to have equal really poor reviews and awesome ones leaving me no wiser on how good or bad they are lol.

Are they even safe to use?

I’ve checked them out and it seems I can get them here or shipped here (not sure which) but I can’t see what kind of plug they have. I know that most countries have different plugs for the power supply so I don’t want to buy one only to find out they’re not compatible to our power points or they’re a crappy or dangerous product.

Any personal experiences with them would be helpful :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've had a K&H perch in my cages since the beginning! I did finally have to replace Ripley's a year or two ago as it just stopped getting warm. I've used them with all my birds and have never had an issue :) that's 4 different perches in that time span, and only 1 that has died.

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
I’ve heard of heated perches but never bought one because of a bad review I read about a heated perch burning a poor Sun conors feet.

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I have purchased both the medium and small K&H Snuggle-UP Bird Warmers. I only put it in in the fall/winter/spring months. Winters get cold where I live so I wanted to give Bowie and Rayleigh the option for additional warmth (we keep the house at 70-72 in winter for them). Rayleigh never used hers and Bowie was so terrified of his for several months. Once he figured his out he used it every now and then. Sometimes he put his feet directly on the plate itself as if it were a perch. Some of the reviews say these plates get dangerously hot so when I used them I would put the back of my hand on it occasionally to check the heat and never found that to be the case with mine.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I’ve heard of heated perches but never bought one because of a bad review I read about a heated perch burning a poor Sun conors feet.
I've seen videos where people wrap their heating perches with vet wrap for purposes of cleanliness. I wound if that would reduce heat if it is too hot? I once saw a review that the perch was "too slippery" and their budgies fell off the the perch. If this is the case vet wrap and to add texture for bird's to better grip.

Gabby22

Meeting neighbors
My parrotlet LOVES the K&G Snuggle Up Bird Warmer (heater). I have had it for going on four years and it still works great. I have to keep it up in her cage all year, even though it is unplugged in the warmer months, because she has a conniption fit if I try to remove it! She loves it that much! And, the really weird thing is that she took to it right away! She was not scared of it at all. From my experience I found it safe and it just gives off enough of a gentle warmth to keep your bird warm. So, I give it a thumbs up!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My newest one is the one covered in sand which makes it a lot less slippery. Ripley likes it more than the original

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
We've used the Snuggle Up heating plates for several years. They've worked perfectly.
For me, the trouble has been protecting the cords, as with anything electrical around birds. I'm electrically inclined so I've been able to to replace the cords a couple of times. I tried putting metal sheathing around the cords but there's always a little bit of exposed cord where it enters the back of the plate. Not sure what can be done about that.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks!!
I guess maybe I’ll contact the company and ask about the plug.

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Thanks!!
I guess maybe I’ll contact the company and ask about the plug.
It is just that the birds eventually find and chew through the cords, even though the cards are wrapped in "protective" sheathing. No fault of the manufacturer, IMO, it is just the nature of our little friends to seek and destroy... destroy, Destroy, DESTROY, DESTROY!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is just that the birds eventually find and chew through the cords, even though the cards are wrapped in "protective" sheathing. No fault of the manufacturer, IMO, it is just the nature of our little friends to seek and destroy... destroy, Destroy, DESTROY, DESTROY!
Definitely depends on the birds! None of mine mess with the cords and the one Jingo has is about 9 to 10 years old

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have one of the snuggle up heaters and it works pretty well, downside is you need to contact it to feel the heat, but there isn’t a burning risk from my experience

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I've found that most of the accusations of burning were caused by improper use, such as wrapping the perch in vet wrap, which can cause it to overheat.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Had them for a while and I prefer a heated perch. My two budgies never got close enough to them to get warm. Tried different areas in the cage too. For me it was a waste of $$.

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
As for the plug, it's just a DC converter -- takes the AC in the walls and steps it down. What's traveling in the wire is lowly 12v like what's running the lights and radio in your car. If the bird damages a wire, you repair/replace the wire -- non-lethal, even to birds ;)

As for regional AC plugs, that part of the wall-wart itself can be swapped to pretty much any AC plug -- the adaptors snap on -- or replaced with any 12v power supply with sufficient wattage (heating elements usually draw a healthy chunk of power, though these don't draw a lot).

The cord itself on ours was broken about half way with a barrel jack connector, and then about 10cm from the jack the remaining 1/2m of cord was encased in a 1/2" steel flex conduit, and shrink-wrapped with a plastic coating. hefty stuff. the big birds might crimp it badly, but they'd have a hard time snipping through it to get to the wire inside.

As far as electrically, as long as the heating controller doesn't fail (and overheat) all the peets and beaks should be safe. Not sure what they're using for thermal regulation -- the perch is potted up pretty well, keeping both bird and users out of the innards -- but considering the intended market, it's neither hard nor expensive to build up a VERY reliable thermal controller that trips off at the right temp, and fails safe (off) when something goes wrong.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
this is interesting gets quite cold here in the winter so might be something i could consider

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
As for the plug, it's just a DC converter -- takes the AC in the walls and steps it down. What's traveling in the wire is lowly 12v like what's running the lights and radio in your car. If the bird damages a wire, you repair/replace the wire -- non-lethal, even to birds ;)

As for regional AC plugs, that part of the wall-wart itself can be swapped to pretty much any AC plug -- the adaptors snap on -- or replaced with any 12v power supply with sufficient wattage (heating elements usually draw a healthy chunk of power, though these don't draw a lot).

The cord itself on ours was broken about half way with a barrel jack connector, and then about 10cm from the jack the remaining 1/2m of cord was encased in a 1/2" steel flex conduit, and shrink-wrapped with a plastic coating. hefty stuff. the big birds might crimp it badly, but they'd have a hard time snipping through it to get to the wire inside.

As far as electrically, as long as the heating controller doesn't fail (and overheat) all the peets and beaks should be safe. Not sure what they're using for thermal regulation -- the perch is potted up pretty well, keeping both bird and users out of the innards -- but considering the intended market, it's neither hard nor expensive to build up a VERY reliable thermal controller that trips off at the right temp, and fails safe (off) when something goes wrong.
Good to know that if they do chew through it they won’t be harmed! Thanks for that information :)
Your second paragraph totally confuses me though… please explain what a wall-wart is.
The wall plates/power points we have cannot be swapped out for something different- it’s illegal because it’s really dangerous. I know that adapters are available for the plugs though I’ve heard many complain that most things used with the adapter plugs burn out pretty fast so it’s not worth buying stuff that’s not straight up wired for our power outlets.
Think if I choose to get one I’ll contact the company or supplier first to find some answers.