• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jute rope. It smells. Is this normal or fixable?

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
It smells so bad.. im not sure if should use it on my birds toys or not. Im thinking not because if i think it stinks they have to for sure too right?? If it is safe is there any way can take that awful smell out of the rope??? And if it's unusable does, any one have a store they buy theirs at that I might have here too( Canada)thanks all i appreciate the help and more info!:tieln::ysgcc:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
It smells so bad.. im not sure if should use it on my birds toys or not. Im thinking not because if i think it stinks they have to for sure too right?? If it is safe is there any way can take that awful smell out of the rope??? And if it's unusable does, any one have a store they buy theirs at that I might have here too( Canada)thanks all i appreciate the help and more info!:tieln::ysgcc:
You say that the rope stinks.. Is it a natural earthy smell or oil/gasoline smell. Earthy smell is fine. Anything else don't use it. Did you get it from a bird store?

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
@calibird
From Walmart. I can't decide if it's a musky earthy oder or if it's a oil smell. Im just not gonna use it. Any suggestions on where to buy some?? Maybe craft store ?? I took apart the toys tho not taking chances on giving them to the birdie's i would be so devastated if hurt them. So guess I have some jute to try to make my self something lol. Maybe use it gardening :hehepink:

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
What about hemp rope I've read different things on it and im not sure of that stuff either after Butter's I've become the literal nervous nanny over every thing

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
If it smells like kerosene, chuck it. Most jute/sisal rope sold at stores is coated with crap to make it softer and to deter bugs and rodents.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
I use Jute all the time and it does NOT have a smell so throw yours out for sure. I get mine at a craft store. It's not treated with anything.