• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just some questions....

Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeana
Hi everybody!! I have an African Grey and have had birds before. I have a couple of questions however about what is and should not be allowed around them. I have always had an air freshener (one of those that only sprays intermittently) but was told this was toxic to my bird. I did move the freshener to a different room, just in case. Then I was perusing a website and saw that there are only certain types of cookware we should use as to not harm our birds, and other off the wall things that I have never had a problem with having around my bird. I would love to hear from somebody knowledgeable about this...I do want to have the safest environment I can for my bird, but don't want fall for myths either. Any input welcome here....thanks!!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
It was good you moved the air freshener. It's true what you heard about cookware. Using any brand of nonstick cookware can kill your bird. Scented candles is another. Just because you never had a problem doesn't mean you won't in the future. A birds respiratory system is quite delicate. There a lots of other safety concerns that you will come across on the forum. I seem to be senile at the moment but someone else will surely chime in. Smoking goes without saying. Never let someone smoke around your bird. If they are a smoker, be aware that their hands will likely have tar even if they wash their hands. Good for you for being responsible and seeking out this advice to keep your beloved companion safe. Good luck.

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi there,

Yes air fresheners are a no go, as are candles :)

It's important to remember that a bird may not show instant distress from these things, but damage is being done.
Another thing to remember is if you can smell something, particles from that thing are present.
Smoking is a great example, being able to smell the smoke on clothing means particles from the cigarette are present.
Seems obvious but I state it as people often dont seem to make the connection that the smell of something is just as dangerous.

As for cookware,
New, overheated, old, and scratched non stick surfaces can emitt fumes that you wont smell, but will harm or even kill your bird.
Remember these arent just on cookware, ovens, toaster ovens, hair dryers, straighteners, heaters etc can all contain these compounds.
Also remember Teflon is a BRAND. Items can have toxic non stick coatings, but not contain "Teflon"

These threads may be useful to you

http://forums.avianavenue.com/showthread.php?t=93494

http://forums.avianavenue.com/showthread.php?t=383