• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just joined! Single parakeet owner (eager for 2nd soon!)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It's good to have a small cage , Incase needed as a hospital cage, travel cage, or quick emergency evacuation cage. I keep a few on hand .

Congratulations on the new addition! Tease!

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
The biggest thing is air fryer, popcorn maker, insta pots , other appliances , and non stick cookware with those chemicals PTFE, PTFO. They are found in so many things! And people who had birds awhile ago may not be aware of this deadly risk.

Popcorn maker? Are you talking about the old ones where you added a little cooking oil in the bottom? Or are you talking about the ones that use hot air?

Erikregul7

Moving in
Update: Mr. Doopins and "Poncho" had their first sleepover last night. She had her wings clipped when we got her, so she isn't flying yet. (Wasn't a fan of this...)

Shockingly, I had them out last night on the floor cruising around the floor. He flew up and perched on my shoulder like usual, and she climbed on to my foot, and made the trek up to see him!

Later, he flew up to his cage, and she tried following. My daughter actually got her to climb into her hand, and she just put her in with him.

When I uncovered them this morning, they were perched next to each other, and they're getting along swimmingly. I great to see my little guy so excited about a friend!

She's adjusting nicely. She even allowed me to stroke her beak a bit. It's crazy how quickly she is warming up. Perhaps seeing Mr Doopins and how he is helps.

I keep saying "she." I think it's a girl. She still has her bands on the top of the head, and judging from her eyes, I'd say she's quite young. Still all black.

And the cere? Hard to tell. It's "kinda blueish, but not quite as pick as his was." Who knows?

But we're super excited, especially Mr. Doopins.

Erikregul7

Moving in
So, I had the gang out last night. Shockingly, I got Poncho to finger perch off the floor. Once near my face, just like Mr. Doopins, Poncho immediately jumped onto my glasses, then headed upward.

Then it was Doops' turn. I told my wife to take a picture. So, I guess this is how it's gonna be from now on... IMG_20240222_192153.jpg

Erikregul7

Moving in
And....you get a good look at Poncho's cere in that pic. Anyone want to hazard a guess on sex? I'm not quite sure, yet.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
So, I had the gang out last night. Shockingly, I got Poncho to finger perch off the floor. Once near my face, just like Mr. Doopins, Poncho immediately jumped onto my glasses, then headed upward.

Then it was Doops' turn. I told my wife to take a picture. So, I guess this is how it's gonna be from now on... View attachment 443055
You have abandoned all your dignity and jumped into being a parront with both feet.
Next thing you know you will be doing a silly song and dance routine with them with the lights on and the curtains wide open.
Welcome to the club! Yes, this is how it it from now on.

Erikregul7

Moving in
Budgie question, gang.

Mr. Doopins is a young male, about a year old. He's curious, outgoing, and high energy. I used to be put off about "his biting." However, it soon became a mutual understanding that Doopers is looking to "tussle", like a puppy.

He's not always looking to wrestle, and in fact, he's often most content just being close, sitting on my shoulder or chest, close to my face. Sometimes I'm treated to one of his very wordy performances, usually saved for his "singing perch" in the evenings.

He's all about me, and things are great, but I still have a question. Is it odd that he is so hell-bent on getting to my nose?!?! Either a surprise attack from above while on top of my head, or climbing my face, he MUST perch on my nose!

Of course, doing this, he's rewarded with by a big laughing reaction from me......so there might be my answer! He even mocks my wheezing laugh, complete with the occasional "STOP IT!" (little jerk...)

Is this out of the ordinary for anyone? Must perch on face?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Budgie question, gang.

Mr. Doopins is a young male, about a year old. He's curious, outgoing, and high energy. I used to be put off about "his biting." However, it soon became a mutual understanding that Doopers is looking to "tussle", like a puppy.

He's not always looking to wrestle, and in fact, he's often most content just being close, sitting on my shoulder or chest, close to my face. Sometimes I'm treated to one of his very wordy performances, usually saved for his "singing perch" in the evenings.

He's all about me, and things are great, but I still have a question. Is it odd that he is so hell-bent on getting to my nose?!?! Either a surprise attack from above while on top of my head, or climbing my face, he MUST perch on my nose!

Of course, doing this, he's rewarded with by a big laughing reaction from me......so there might be my answer! He even mocks my wheezing laugh, complete with the occasional "STOP IT!" (little jerk...)

Is this out of the ordinary for anyone? Must perch on face?
How cute. Sounds like you’re quite loved and enjoyed!