• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just joined! Single parakeet owner (eager for 2nd soon!)

Erikregul7

Moving in
Hello. After years of "being a cat person", my family got our first parakeet in May of '23. It was a Petsmart bird, and we upgraded to a large cage, and before you knew, we got a 2nd one. A week later, the first suddenly died. (I was SOOOOO upset.) But, I moved on, and made it my mission to tame and bond with this little lonely bird. Originally, the birds were "for the family", but I put in the time, and now...well? It's "Daddy's bird."

The kids named him "Eagle", but with all my babytalk and nonsense, he somehow became "Mr. Doopins", and that's how HE refers to himself now. He even head-bangs sometimes, like it's a little song he wrote, and goes "Mr. Doopins....Man! Mr. Doopins.....Man!" over and over again. It's a riot.

So, yeah....I'm a bird owner now, and I couldn't be happier about it. I've literally said----more than once----"this little dude's like the coolest thing to ever happen to me!"

I've since heard and learned terrible things about Petsmart birds. Unfortunately, that's where he came from. After being a parakeet owner longer, I think it was clear that our first bird wasn't healthy. But, so far, this little guy seems super healthy and happy. I'm guessing he's around 9-10 months.

He's nuts. He makes me laugh more frequently than any pet I've ever had, and he sure likes me! He loves being nose to beak, and beelines for my shoulder as soon as his cage opens. I try to give him a least an hour or more out a day, and he loves just playing in his cage, too. He bounces around from perch to perch, talking to everything like it's a drum set, and he plays on all of the toys we make him. There's plenty of natural stuff for him to tear up in there, too.

I'm feeding him now an APPA parakeet blend which I cut in a fruit and vegetable mix. I also encourage foraging, and try to offer him fresh fruit and vegetables whenever we're eating them. He always wants to eat what I'm eating, even belly-flopping into a small slice of coffee cake I was about to eat with my coffee! Like I said, he's nuts.

We're heading out of town for a few days soon, and after we return, I'm seriously considering a second bird. I'm planning on getting a 2nd large cage, and keeping them separate for a bit. I just wanna make sure my little guy doesn't get sick! I live in PA, but I'll probably consider getting future birds from a more reputable supplier than a chain store, perhaps Birds Paradise in Burlington, NJ. That's where I get my food, toys, and supplies.

So...here I am! Saying hello. I'll attach a few pics later. He's just a basic Petsmart parakeet....but Mr. Doopins is one cool bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue and
:wow: what a fantastic introduction you gave. :)
Congratulations on your Mr. Doopins becoming such a great part of your life.
I can't wait to see pics when you get time, and also your next wee one which you will be getting soon.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
:welcomesign::congrats5: Your baby sounds amazing

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum! I can't wait for the pictures.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I loved reading your introduction and I always enjoy that moment when people realize how very very cool these littles guys, and all parrots, are.
Congratulations on becoming a really great "parront" and I look forward to hearing more from you!

Erikregul7

Moving in
Thanks for the warm welcome. I peeled the skin off a grape to see if he wanted to bite on it. Not really. He prefers trying to rip my fingernails off. ( I play fingerstyle guitar, so I keep a few longer.)

So, here he is!

He's starting to go a little ape every time he finger perches now, and he just loves to bite at my fingers. He's enjoying himself. I'm not. I think this is kinda my fault. I occasionally will break a teensy bit of cracker in my palm and let him crunch. So he's just looking,
digging around, always looking. He'll sometimes beak down a little, like he's just trying to shred bark. I don't think he's trying to hurt me. He loves to climb my glasses, and it becomes my own personal scene from Jurrasic Park. (That scene when the kids are in the car in the rain with the T-rex outside?) He also always wants to perch on my nose and will always attempt it. Like I've said before, he's nuts.

That's another reason I want a 2nd. I give him as much time as possible, but I think he'd be happier with a more constant companion. And.....well, if it wasn't for the cat....I'd probably already have like 4 of them.
erik bird.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Erikregul7 what a cutie!

I agree with you. We can provide a lot of friendship for our companion birds, but there is always a limit. We are simply not birds. Another bird ensures they are never totally alone and they have someone who can help them with things humans may not pick up on. Keep in mind that bird politics are also unpredictable. Flock doesn't always mean bbfs it is often more like a community. I have two parrotlets who often squabble when in the free flight area. It can get violent sometimes. But in the bird room they each have their own cage and can relax and have a flock dynamic. They frequently eat at the same time in their respective cubby. I tend to think of flock as more like community, not everyone will get along perfectly, but that doesn't mean they don't gain anything from being around others of their own kind. (mind you some birds can really hate each other and that may lead to a need to rehome if one bird is being bullied etc). From my understanding of budgies they are very social and generally accepting of new friends after the proper quarantine period.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomesign:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Erikregul7

Moving in
I loved reading your introduction and I always enjoy that moment when people realize how very very cool these littles guys, and all parrots, are.
Congratulations on becoming a really great "parront" and I look forward to hearing more from you!
He's SUPER cool! lol

I routinely catch myself giving the kids the "he's a perfect role model"-speech. He's simple. He's always happy and eager to be with the family. Little guy wakes up and picks joy....everyday.

And he's a talker. My Goodness, he's a talker. Late in the afternoon, he often goes up to his "singing perch" and puts on his show. His latest is him mocking my wheezing big laugh----which he's heard plenty of times as he tried to perch on my face. "Whatcha doin'? Mr. Doopins. BOOPINS man! C'mere!" And I always laugh, because he'll always interrupt all of this with this little fast "BipBipBipBipBipBipBipBipBipBip"-noise that he REALLY LIKES. (You can see his eyes all pinned up every time.) It's sounds so silly. It gets me every time.

Erikregul7

Moving in
So, gang....we're going out of town for a few days. My wife surprised me by telling me her friend is going to watch the bird.

I immediately got nervous about transporting him in the cold. She tried to assure me that her friend had birds growing up, and that they'd have the van warmed up and we'd wrap the cage.

So........thoughts?!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
yes, you warm up the car and wrap the cage. Nothing to worry about there.
I'd worry more about if your friend has experience with budgies. Do they? Now that is something we could give you a list to worry about!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
He will be fine go and enjoy yourself write a list of things his routine food he likes etc

Erikregul7

Moving in
yes, you warm up the car and wrap the cage. Nothing to worry about there.
I'd worry more about if your friend has experience with budgies. Do they? Now that is something we could give you a list to worry about!
It's one of her best friends from school. She's known her for over 30 years. She's a teacher and "super mom". Her mother has cockatiels growing up, and her husband had a conure in college.

(I'm still worried about my little guy...lol)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Last edited: