• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

June 2023 Mayor of the Avenue... Spearmint

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Spearmint is June's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Spearmint is my green cheek conure, turning three in December.

2. What got you interested in birds?

Pigeons and ducks! As a kid, I would always go feed the pigeons, ducks, mud hens etc at the pond. Then it moved to cockatoos, lorikeets, and eventually Spearmint :)

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

A lot more than could ever be listed, but he's helped me so so much through many low mental, and physical health times. And of course lots of happiness (and empty wallets).

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Spearmint definitely taught me to appreciate the little things. There's so much around us that we take for granted, and Spearmint manages to show me those little things every day, whether that's how happy he gets when it rains, or his excitement when he notices a flower outside the window has bloomed.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

When I was doing pretty bad, and feeling down one day, and he picked up on it. He was so gentle that day, preening my hair, quietly sitting by my neck, and just being there for me.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Spearmints' cage is sat in the dining room, a good space away from the window that he loves to look out of, but he spends most of his time with me in my office.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Nearly everything! Threw out all my pots and pans to get ones that I was sure didn't have non-stick chemicals, bird-proofed my room, gave away some of my plants which were a danger to him (I think they were peace lilies).

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Not too much, but I do volunteer work at a conservation centre and a zoo, specifically with the birds. And bird-watching!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A proper bird room, with perches in the walls, from the roof, play stands, etc.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Unrealistically, I'd love to have an Aracari. But my logical dream bird is a Linnie :blinnie:.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

On weekends... I wake up at 7, go downstairs, get his food ready for later, and at 8:30 he wakes up, he gets his food, clean water and pellets, then he will spend the day with me from 9am until 5pm, then he gets dinner, and at 7 he's lights out :sleeping5:.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

There's no perfectly correct way of doing things! There's a lot of pressure to be the 'perfect bird parent', but really, none of us are. We can all always learn, and improve how we do things, and not every bird is exactly the same! It takes a while, but find what works best for both you, and your fids.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

If I had the knowledge now back when I got Spearmint, I would have prepared better in terms of finding a vet, bird-proofing, not clipping him, and recall training from the start!

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Art, and non-competitive horse riding. I draw almost daily, and go to an art studio weekly to paint and sculpt. I help out at a stable, and go riding there too, I've been going there for 5 years now, and it's one of my biggest hobbies.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Just my thanks to this wonderful forum, and the even better people that are in it! I'd never be where I am today with Spearmint if it wasn't for all of you :)

1685761031158.png

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations!! Well deserved :) Awesome interview!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congrats5:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I loved this interview! And what a soulful photo!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Congratulations @Spearmint - what a GREAT interview, I loved all your answers!