• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

June 2010 Mayor of the Avenue......... Vicki (Braveheartdogs)!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I'm pleased to announce Vicki (Braveheartdogs) as June's "Mayor of the Avenue"

She is truly an asset to our community, please join me in welcoming her
:)

[FONT=&quot]

1. What kind of birds do you have, age, species and names.

I have 8 budgies - Oliver, Atticus, Lucille, Shamrock, Buck, Chiquita, Melanie, Elliot. 3 cockatiels - Poupon, Pegasus and Feather. A rosy bourke, Willow. A Cinnamon GCC, Autumn. A linnie, Argyle. A regent parrot, Papaya. A White Fronted Amazon, Merlin. And, 3 ringneck doves - Harmony, Freebird and Relic.

2. what got you interested in birds?

I have had budgies since I was in elementary school. About 18 years ago my best friend wanted a baby cockatiel and I went with her and of course brought one home too. I have always been interested in birds.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

My birds have brought so much to my life. They live in my office where I spend a lot of my time. I consider them family members and friends. I spend more time with my birds than I do with most people.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I have learned how amazing they are. I appreciate how complex and intelligent they are and that they are all incredibly individual.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

I think probably when I first met Merlin, my WF Amazon. I was so unsure about having an Amazon but when I met him he was so cute and small (well, small by Amazon standards) and I knew that we would be ok together.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

All my birds live in my home office where I spend a lot of time except for two of my doves who have a flight cage outside.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Absolutely! I am changing things in my home office constantly to make sure that they are happy. I have hanging play gyms all over the office. I pulled out the carpet so that it would easier to clean.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I am interested in bird behavior and training. I train dogs professional and do behavior consulting and hope to add parrot consulting in the future. I also do some bird rescue on a very small scale and I write articles for Mickaboo small bird rescue.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

An outdoor aviary and huge bird room.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

My "realistic" dream bird, meaning one I actually hope to have one day is a white capped Pionus. I thought Pionus were kind of plain until I met a few in person. I love how they look and I think that their temperaments would be a good fit for me.

11.Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I get up in the morning and feed my dogs and then my birds. While my birds are eating I am in here with them having my coffee and working on the computer. Merlin, my Amazon comes out to eat first thing. Usually Autumn and Argyle come out while I am in here. Then, they are put away while I leave. Typically, when I am home, I am in here, or in and out hanging out with them.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

How important a good diet, enrichment and enough space is to them. They are incredibly intelligent and have a right to be stimulated mentally.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Two things. If I knew then what I know now I would still have the bird I rehomed years ago. Second, I would not have "trained" my budgies as a kid by chasing them around the bathroom trying to catch them.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Dog shows and dog training

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I am very grateful to AA and everyone on it. I have learned so much that I can't even begin to tell you here. I have a lot of friends, all of which are dog people but I have very few friends that have birds or even like them. It is very good for me to have AA because even though I don't "know" everyone I "know" everyone and I love being able to come here with other bird people who "get it".
[/FONT]

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Congratulations Vicki!!! You deserve this! yay!!! :)

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
YEEEAAAAHHHH...CONGRATS,You deserve it!!!!!!!! LOVE reading your posts:laughing12:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Congratulations on being Mayor, and what a wonderful interview!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I loved your interview. Sorry, but I had a little chuckle about chasing the budgies lol

Congrats on being Mayor :D
I think it's funny too when I think of my stupid little self as a kid wanting so badly to be close to them and not knowing that I really wasn't helping. But, it's funny to think of now:)

Congratulations Vicki!!! You deserve this! yay!!! :)
Thank you!

YEEEAAAAHHHH...CONGRATS,You deserve it!!!!!!!! LOVE reading your posts:laughing12:
Thanks Tanya, I love reading your posts too!

Congratulations on being Mayor, and what a wonderful interview!
congratulations
Thanks you guys so much!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love reading your posts and deliberately look to see if you have posted anything...you are awesome and extra beak rubs for :heart: Merlin...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Matt

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Congrats

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Congratulations Vicki! Loved reading about you. You are a wonderful asset to the forum! :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
:chipmunks::Congratwav::chipmunks:

Congratulations Vickie! could not go to a more deserving person.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Congrats!!!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Congratulations Vicki!!!
:Congratwav:
:chickendance:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Great interview. Congrats!!

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats, Vicki, on winning this award! I loved reading your interview and getting to know you a little better. :D

Attachments

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
You are an amazing choice. You do your best to help and impart great information to all. Congratulations.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
YAYAYAYAYAY Vicki! CONGRATS. You're just awesome, and I learn so much from you. Thanks for all you do for this forum!:heart::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.