• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

July 2022 Mayor of the Avenue... Sparkles99

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Sparkles99 is July's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have eight male budgies: Pistachio and Marzipan (unknown ages), Aurelius (1), Winston (3), Marigold, Frosting, Cloud and Ernest (all under a year).

Pistachio

Pistachio.JPG

Marzipan
Marzipan.JPG

Aurelius
Aurelius.JPG

Winston
Winston.JPG

Marigold & Frosting
Marigold & Frosting.JPG

Cloud
Cloud.JPG

Ernest
Ernest.JPG

2. What got you interested in birds?

Many things contributed to my interest in birds. Watching the birds outside growing up and hearing their songs, which I still enjoy, contributed from the cradle. My parents have never used pesticides, so their property is a beacon for wildlife. They also taught me to respect all living things. I stick up for the downtrodden; this led to learning more about crows and seagulls (my favourite birds, but don't tell my octet!), so as to rationally defend them from the wrath of people.

As for parrots, pirate stories first piqued my interest in Amazons. I never did make it through "Treasure Island" (what a terrifying children's book :roflmao:), but I loved the parrot and the first pet I ever asked for was a "large, green parrot". Thank goodness no one agreed! I admire the beauty and intelligence of birds, like many people.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Intellectual conversation during the pandemic, music & chatter. My home is no longer silent. In truth, I owe Pistachio & Marzipan, my first, much more than that. In the darkest moments of the pandemic, they came.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I have learned better debating skills and the value of being an early riser. Like all living things, they have also helped teach me about myself and life itself, and what it means.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

When Pistachio and Marzipan first came home, I had a name picked for Pistachio. I remember the look of wonder, trust and intelligence on his face when I liberated them from their filthy cage and told him, "Your name is Pistachio. You are loved. And you will fly over the bridge bearing that name, just as it is now written on my soul." He understood and knew he was home. I've never seen such an intelligent look on any animal's face as I have on my budgies'.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

My birds live in a separate room. I used to have them where I work, but as they grew in number, they disrupted calls with clients. Most found it charming. A few did not and sometimes I couldn't hear people. My neighbours also smoke a variety of 'stuff', so this was safer. Having a separate bird room makes it easier to clean, especially with multiples.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes, I emptied a room of furniture, got rid of it and gave the room to them. I didn't have to change anything cleaner, cooking, etc. related, because I already led a pretty non-toxin filled life.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I am not. That would be nice though!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

It'd be amazing to have a posh aviary! I'd have it planted, with fountains, streams and fake rain.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Yes, I'd like to have more budgies (I have a bit of a budgie problem) and a canary. I've always liked canaries and I like that they're domestic. My pick would be an American Singer or any colour of the colourbreds.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Our day is pretty simple. I open their curtains and remove their blankets in the morning. Later, I clean cages and offer fresh food and water. I leave the seed mix and water down overnight, just in case someone gets snacky in the wee hours of the morning. Most of mine are psychologically cage bound. Cloud will come out and perch on a painting. It's the best painting in my home; I think he knows it. Lately, Aurelius has taken to sitting on the door when it swings out. Winston disapproves though and wields great influence over him, so he has yet to actually leave it.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

They are fast and flighty, not ideal for impatient people. They may be small, but they take up a great deal of space, time, energy and money. Just because someone on YouTube thinks this is the 'it' species, doesn't mean it'd be ideal for you. Most people would experience more longterm success if they were to stick with the so called 'littles'.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would've gotten an indoor aviary to begin with, but I remember thinking, "I'm only going to have two...". Right. :rofl:

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I have a lot of hobbies, so generally cycle through most of them. After all, I'm also employed full time. I'm my father's assistant in their gardens. My favourite are the rose gardens. I also play music and sing. I'm a miniaturist who works mainly in half scale. I enjoy walking, hiking and caring for other pets too. I dabble in oil painting, used to ride regularly & still do when I get the chance.

Most recently, I tried my hand at millinery. I'm attending a wedding this summer where fascinators/hats are encouraged. But I didn't want to buy an off the rack one, in part because of my budgies. I thought of the other birds and wondered whether the feathers used were moulted or plucked. I think it turned out great, thanks to Marzipan, Frosting & Cloud!

Fascinator.JPG

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Thank you for selecting me and my budgies for this honour. :) May your blessings be many and your troubles be few.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! :starshower:

Love the fascinator btw! Very cool :)

AussieBird