• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

JoJo and Chickie going on a diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
And I need help from y'all! It's my fault they are so chunky :o: They love to eat, and while I'm cleaning cages or handfeeding someone I need to know they will stay put and not go exploring. So for that whole hour they pig out. They are seriously overweight. Chickie at 200 grams, and JoJo at 195. They need to be in the 170-180 range.
I know I give them too much fruit, so I will cut back on that to start with. They also LOVE their TOP pellets and will eat as much as I care to give them. It feels like an impossible goal but I need to accomplish it. They do fly around some, and play high energy games, but evidently I'm feeding them too much. I'm also afraid of my vet's wrath :lol:
Okay so everyone, please help me in this effort!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Perhaps you can try measuring out their pellets and daily foods? They will be less likely to gorge if they can't just stuff their face all day :lol:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I should have fat Cakes, they eat non stop!! However, last weight on them was 148 and 151 .. I have shrimpy Cakes .. lol. :lol:

I know Enki and Ayeko would eat 10x their weight in fruit if I let them .. but I try to give them a ton more veggies and grains .. they give me the stink eye over it, but .. fruit is for "dessert", must eat veggies and grains first.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
You need to show those Cakes some though love when it comes to eating...good luck!
And to think my vet called Piper chubby when he only had 1-2 grams to lose! :lol:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Whoa, a 200 gram cake. :eek: I agree with the others, portion out the food (especially energy dense things like pellets) and perhaps eliminate fruit or other treats for a while. Would recall training be an option for them? It could get them flying more. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well..
it would be a good idea to stop with the All day all you can eat buffet portions.:) Let them work up a hearty appetite.

When it comes to fruit each of my parrots receive one modest portion of 1or 2 fruit varieties a day. I stick to papaya, mango, banana, pommies. Sometimes apple and pear.

Once they've consumed their fruit, that's it that's all for that day. Fruit and highly valued nuts are only offered after they've eaten their mash, vegetable and or their pellets. We treat it as something special.:)

Mabel ` 4 nuts per day.
Emma ` 4 nuts per day
Sachi` 1.5-2 nuts per day
Thomas 1-2 nuts per day

On weekends they all get an extra nut just for the heck of it.

Yes. I'm pretty strict. :D Good luck!:hug8:

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh gosh, I never had much luck with Abigail...I'm no help but I can wish you luck.:)

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Hmmmm...I was told by my vet today that I need to cut back on Ziggy's calories. Must be a trend. :o:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
They would lose some weight flying to Texas:huh:

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Hmm also guilty but I plead extenuating circunstances. Most of the gang eat like, well, caiques, but chase each other round the aviary all day burning it off.

However Soentjie and Jack Jack are clipped and I've noticed them getting chunkier. Guess I will have to get them on Weightwatchers too!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I am surprised with all the flying that they do, considering how much flying space they have, that they are chunky. :eek:

Maybe give them some pellets one day, and some fruit the next day? Or, save them for snacks and give them other foods (that they don’t pig out on like pellets and fruits) that are not going to make them chunky monkeys. :p

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I'm surprised they weigh that much, as they look so active and energetic!

I would start offering measured pellets so they aren't pigging out all day. Most people feed once in the morning, and then once again in the evening, and then take the dishes out at night.

Fruit are favourites of the caiques, and I do let them indulge since they are pretty high energy (well Douglas... Bella is a perch potato) but I would cut back on them as they are very sugary! Lot's of veggies me thinks to make up for the lack of pellets that they would usually gorge on!

I'm really jealous, my guys HATE TOPs! haha

Also! I would cut back on seeds and nuts... only as treats and in very SMALL portion. I admit, I let my guys have a lot of nuts. I give them a piece of walnut every time I leave the house, so they don't freak out at me lol, but those are very high in fat, etc.
An alternative to dry seed would be... sprouts! Which are fantastic :D

Last edited:

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Alsooo....
this stuff can also be from genetics.
Did you feel their keel bone etc? Did you feel fat? They could just be very large birds, and you got them from the same breeder no?
Maybe her birds are very large??? haha

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They aren't fat......just fluffy:o:lol:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Alsooo....
this stuff can also be from genetics.
Did you feel their keel bone etc? Did you feel fat? They could just be very large birds, and you got them from the same breeder no?
Maybe her birds are very large??? haha
Their breast is so plump, the keelbone is embedded in it. Can't feel it at all!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks for the ideas and moral support, everybody!:)

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
I'm like Saemma, VERY strict with food. In summer they get a bit more fruit because, it's in season. I try to feed them what's in season, so this way I don't go over board with it. I make Chop for winter months, because I can't get as much in winter (being covered with snow and all ) as I can in the fall, so I make it than. Winter months means- papaya, mango and apples, as that's what I have available, from local organic farmers. Spring- berry fruit, summer- what ever I have at home, fall- apples, bananas, etc. I try to be rational- 2-3 pieces of fruit per day and 1-2 nuts a day. They *can* get more, but that means that their food is WELL hidden in their foraging toys, so if they want more...well, they'll have to work for it.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Ming had a great suggestions - more sprouts!
And of course the obvious: cut back on seeds & nuts. Increase the veggies (and sprouts!)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yes. Lots of foraging opportunities and if they want their nut badly enough they must work for it as much as possible.:)
Here they always want it VERY much because although they count on the fact that there will be a nuts offered, there's a certain scarcity.:)

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse

Their breast is so plump, the keelbone is embedded in it. Can't feel it at all!
Well, on the bright side, their keelbones will be protected if they have a crash landing. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.