• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Jacob is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Sending positive thoughts and healing prayers to you and Jacob. Hope he feels better soon, poor sweetie.

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
Best wishes for Jacob

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Jacob threw up while I was uncovering his cage. It was like a white foam. I tried feeling his crop but didn't feel much. I took him into the kitchen to prepare some food for him. He drank allot of water and then threw up most of it. The vomit was clear but had gray speckles in it, looked like oatmeal broth. It had no smell. There is no smell from Jacobs mouth. He seemed hungry and drank fair amount of the harrisons/oatmeal broth, but doesn't want the mash. I weighed him and he is 228 grams of 10 grams lighter then yesterday. He is sitting with me and received 20 min of scritches and snuggles and had a short nap. He has twice gone over to the table to drink some broth but is not interested in the mash. I'm waiting for the pharmacy and store to open. I will buy some apples to make a sauce and ACV. I'm going to try and find aloe vera and slippery elm.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
oh and he is pooping. The green is not as solid as yesterday and there are white urates.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Maybe you can email or call Dr. B who can work with your local vet.

Ask the Board Certified <BR>Avian Veterinarian

This is serious and you must have some kind of assistance from an avian vet. Dr. B is wonderful and I know he will help you if he can.

I would call him and/or set up a email chat.

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I don't know what time it is there but it's almost 5 a.m. here. I would call them and leave a message that your going to be getting in touch this morning.

Ginger

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so so sorry Jacob is sick. I am sending healing thoughts and energy for his complete recovery.:hug8:
Perhaps when this is over, you might consider making an emergency kit. In it put all of the things that are hard to find in your country, but might need for certain ailments. You could find them online, or maybe I could send you whatever you cannot get?
Wishing you all the best. Thanks to our wonderful AA members for always being there to help.:hug8:

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Thank you for those links Ginger. :)

I went to the store and bought some apples and organic, unfiltered and unheated ACV. I also found echinacea tablets made from 100% organic echinacea. I put some ACV into the oatmeal broth and in his drinking water and am making apple sauce now. The pharmacy hadn't opened yet so I will have to go there later to see if I can find aloe vera and slippery elm.

He hasn't vomited since this morning (for about 2 1/2 hours) I've tried feeling his crop and it feels soft, it might have some liquid to it.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So glad you were able to find some of the things you need. Please keep us updated.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good Morning, 3AM here.

Things to look for at the pharmacy or other store in town. I added to the list from reviewing your posts.

ACV, Slippery elm, (Icelandic name is different),
A probiotic like Lactobacillus Sporogenes, (Icelandic may be different), Aloe-gel (a version that you drink), Applesauce or fresh apples, Cinnamon, digestive enzymes like Prozyme (Icelandic may be different), a childrens electrolyte replacement drink, ask pharmacy, a sports electrolyte drink will work.

Check with vet Ginger or the avian vet on antibiotics and antifungal. Again even if you do not use them you have them!

Start feeding small amounts of foods and water more often, it will be easier for Jacob to keep it down. Remember every time he throws ups he dehydrates himself and should have fluids with electrolytes.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, you will need to watch what he eats and drinks after the ACV. A few drops in oatmeal is good, 5 drops in 100ml of water to start. If he likes it you can do a few more drops. You can also mix 1 tsp per pint of water.

He needs to keep the food and water down for the ACV to work, have him drink small amounts at a time. The ACV will help should there be yeast or sour food in his crop and will also change the PH in his GI tract.

Please call the avian vet and discuss what we have been telling you. Ask the vet about Sub-Q fluids and antibiotics if needed. Is there a person where you live that breeds or rehabs birds?

gary

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Here is also a link to a vet who's actually worked with vets in Iceland who wanted to learn more about birds.

Maybe she can give you the name of a vet she worked with.

Photo Gallery | The Bird and Exotic Hospital

Ginger
I know one of the vets in the photos. She was studying veterinary medicine at the same time I was. She works at the animal hospital I phoned, but I didn't talk to her I talked to another one which is the most experienced one with birds.

Hi, you will need to watch what he eats and drinks after the ACV. A few drops in oatmeal is good, 5 drops in 100ml of water to start. If he likes it you can do a few more drops. You can also mix 1 tsp per pint of water.

He needs to keep the food and water down for the ACV to work, have him drink small amounts at a time. The ACV will help should there be yeast or sour food in his crop and will also change the PH in his GI tract.

Please call the avian vet and discuss what we have been telling you. Ask the vet about Sub-Q fluids and antibiotics if needed. Is there a person where you live that breeds or rehabs birds?

gary
Jacob's been sleeping since he drank the oatmeal broth this morning. He's lying on his toy shelf, with his head tucked under his wing. Which I didn't see him do yesterday, he would just stand with his eyes closed. So that's an improvement. I got aloe vera and slippery elm in the pharmacy. I mixed acv and aloe in his drinking water and made the apple sauce mix with harrisons, slippery elm and echinacea. I placed the bowls next to him but he wasn't interested and continued sleeping. So he hasn't drunk any of the acv yet. I will call the vet if Jacob takes a turn to the worse. Right now he seems to be on the mends. The vet told me yesterday that he would take a few days to recover and normally there is no need for antibiotics. If he is not doing better on monday then she felt we should start giving antibiotics.

There is no rehabilitation for birds in Iceland. There is a small petting zoo in the capital city (there is only one city in Iceland, which is the capital) if birds of prey like falcons or eagles (which are endangered here) are found injured they are taken there. As for bird breeders there are none, or not like the ones you have in the states.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Still sending good thoughts to Jacob and you Herdis. :hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, a bird his size will only need 1 drop of echinacea and it needs to be alcohol free. Make sure you do not give to much slippery elm dry as it sucks the moisture out of everything.

Jacob has lost weight because of dehydration, he needs a electrolyte supplement in his water to help rehydrate him. The best thing to do is give the electrolyte mixture one time and the ACV the next and aloe and water the next. If you put to much stuff in his water he will not drink, so start out slow with anything added to his water as he needs to keep drinking on his own. Find out what he likes to drink the best. The others you can put in his food should you have to.

Limit his food at one time until he stops vomiting. Make sure he is eating, he may not like the flavor of one supplement or another be aware of that.

You are doing a great job!

gary
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&ved=0CB8QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.umm.edu%2Faltmed%2Farticles%2Fechinacea-000239.htm&rct=j&q=echinacea&ei=pvBaS9bNHYf-sgOBkcmfAw&usg=AFQjCNG-RHKLv6isBGQxDu6pWIQGk8GWfQ&sig2=lmRmW4KpqKyE6_mpaJPRlw

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I mixed the apple sauce with the recipe you gave in your first post. The echinacea is in tablets but pure echinacea, I ground one tablet to a powder and put 1/8 of a teaspoon into the mixture, I put same amount of slippery elm. I bought a sports drink. He hasn't vomited since this morning so all the liquid he ingested after that should be getting into his system. He is still sleeping. He wakes up and preens a little and then tucks his head back under the wing and continues to sleep. I will keep you updated.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, since your bird weigh about 250g and an average human about 150lbs, there is about a 300-1 ratio, meaning your bird should get about 1-300th of the dosage listed for a human. check to make sure you are in that range for the echinacea.

gary

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Many healing prayers for you and Jacob today. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.