• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jacob is at the vet (heartbreaking update post #145)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Thinking about you guys and hoping for the best.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Awww poor Jacob. Such a thoughtful big boy taking his exploding bum into the shower- easy to clean up at least. I hope he’s not feeling too crappy and the vet can find the cause. Suzie gets crook like that from time to time, I can never work out what causes it so I have my suspicions about things being thrown over the fence up the back or plant matter such as palm nuts- Jacob isn’t really exposed to the same things as Suzie so I really hope you can pin point the cause.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope he is feeling better soon

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Oh man, hope he's okay.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Hope he is feeling better soon.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
You and Jacob are in my thoughts. I’m wishing you both love and fortitude.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Such a thoughtful big boy taking his exploding bum into the shower- easy to clean up at least.
Exactly what I thought! I´m lucky to have such a good boy!

After I just posted here I loaded him in the car and took him to the woods. They´re not far off but with his bad hips he can´t get there on foot. He was wagging his tail and was just like his usual self. We got home and we´ve offered him all sorts of cured hams, mortadela and treats and he´s just not interested. No wagging his tail at all, normally he would wag when he hears me talking to him or laughing.
He drank water well, but not eating. He´s walking fine and not whipering or anything else unusual.
I guess we´ll see in the morning.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Exactly what I thought! I´m lucky to have such a good boy!

After I just posted here I loaded him in the car and took him to the woods. They´re not far off but with his bad hips he can´t get there on foot. He was wagging his tail and was just like his usual self. We got home and we´ve offered him all sorts of cured hams, mortadela and treats and he´s just not interested. No wagging his tail at all, normally he would wag when he hears me talking to him or laughing.
He drank water well, but not eating. He´s walking fine and not whipering or anything else unusual.
I guess we´ll see in the morning.
The times my girl gets crook the first thing the vet tells me if she’s still drinking and behaving ok is to starve her for 24 hrs to help rest her gut. It usually is all fine after that.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I hope that him not eating for this short while helps him. Frank filled his bowl last night before bed, and the bowl is untouched - he hasn´t eaten anything since then apart from a couple of slices of ham.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Jacob! I hope you find out what's wrong and that he feels better soon

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Maybe cooked ground hamburger and rice?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara I used pill pockets to get my dogs to take meds that refused them. I tried cheese, meat, etc & they'd spit he pills out. Then I found pill pockets. They come in different sizes & flavors. They are soft, so you can put the pill inside it & close it up. Most of the time my dogs swallowed them whole & had no idea a med was inside. Not sure if you can get these in your country tho. If you find any flavored "duck" do not get them. They smell awful. My dogs loved the peanut butter & chicken flavored kind. PILL POCKETS Dog Treats: PILL POCKETS For Dogs | GREENIES

It's not a good idea to fed your dog ham: Can Dogs Eat Ham? – American Kennel Club

I hope you can get him to take his meds & they help. It's beautiful.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, Zara! I'm sorry to hear Jacob just isn't feeling well. I hope you can get some answers for him in the morning.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
All my dogs have seriously loved ham but unfortunately all of them got real yuck tummies from eating it so I gotta say I agree with @Toy about ham being a risky choice if Jacob is already unwell. My ferrets also would end up crook if they were fed ham. Any of the deli meats like ham, bacon, salami etc were always likely to cause sloppy poop, gas and often vomiting.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Ham is too salty, that isn't good for kidneys. You can try is scrambled eggs, they are easy protein to digest. Rice with boiled chicken and broth from the water smells enticing.

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
I'm so sorry Jacob isn't feeling well, hope he gets better soon! :sadhug2:

Solly

Strolling the yard
Poor Jacob, he has a lovely face I just want to smoosh and kiss. Sending good vibes and prayers he feels better soon.
I don’t know if one of the injectable would help or even if they are available where you are.Adequan is one that’s used for degenerative joint issues in horses but is now used for dogs. It’s given in a short course and then once a month or whatever schedule suits your pet. It might be worth looking into at least?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Zara I used pill pockets to get my dogs to take meds that refused them. I tried cheese, meat, etc & they'd spit he pills out. Then I found pill pockets. They come in different sizes & flavors. They are soft, so you can put the pill inside it & close it up. Most of the time my dogs swallowed them whole & had no idea a med was inside. Not sure if you can get these in your country tho. If you find any flavored "duck" do not get them. They smell awful. My dogs loved the peanut butter & chicken flavored kind. PILL POCKETS Dog Treats: PILL POCKETS For Dogs | GREENIES

It's not a good idea to fed your dog ham: Can Dogs Eat Ham? – American Kennel Club

I hope you can get him to take his meds & they help. It's beautiful.
Thankyou this is very helpful!
Those treats look like just the thing we need. He has two pills to take daily, and I can´t put pills in rice or scrambled egg or anything like that because he digs them out and discards them. Will have a looksie online for the Greenies things for future when he´s feeling better.

When I got home this morning from my meeting, I made a coffee and thought I would have a drik and then take Jacob but he got up and started retching, so I helped him outside and he started vomiting like a person. I´ve never seen anything like it before. I got his harness on and straight in the car. We got to the vet and sat on the street outside for a few hours waiting for a gap to see Jacob. The vet asked me a tonne of questions, listened to jacobs chest and back. Took anal temp. Came to the conclusion this was Gastroenteritis but can´t be 100% sure at this time. He says it´s not likely to be because of the current meds or he would have been ill sooner.
I´ve been told to boil plain rice with extra water. Save the water and use to drink. Then offer small ¨tapas¨ of rice about 4 times durind the day. (He suggested a good quality tinned food, but Jacob doesn´t like them) If he worsens, he needs to be hospitalised. Hes´been given 3 injections, antibiotic, antinausea and something for the fever. He´s not having his due dose of Trocoxil because he´s too ill.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah poor thing hopefully it is just a virus and he improves soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.