• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've wanted a Hyacinth for a long time and I'm being offered one to rehome. What other questions should I be asking?

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Hi everyone!
I hope this is the right place to put this, I was just trying to get people with Hyacinth experience opinions and expertise. Long story short I have been contacted by someone who knew I had been looking for a Hyacinth. She lives in the same area as me and currently has a few parrots, two of which are Hyacinths. She asked if I was still interested, which I was, and said she was rehoming him as he loves her husband but dislikes her. Here's the information I have so far:

. He is 27 years old. She got him when he was 25 from a middle-aged woman who raised him and he grew up with her children. She had a fair amount of parrots and needed to downsize due to health issues.
. He never bonded with her, often trying to bite her while he is loving and goofy with her husband. If he does go to bite the husband it's due to being scared and is more of a warning.
. She isn't 100% sure she wants to rehome him yet and it largely depends on who he goes to.
. He is missing a few tail feathers. When she got him, she was told he was molting but they have never grown back in two years. She has asked vets and they think it was due to an injury, most likely a bite from another macaw. I asked if it seemed to affect him in any way, like flying and playing (knowing that they require a fair amount of exercise and stimulation), but she told me he really doesn't fly and that Hyacinths are lazy and even in the wild they prefer walking over flying. (I heard they were calmer but not sure about laziness? Do they really prefer to not fly? I was actually hoping to flight train whenever I got one so I'm lost on this question).
. I asked about travel carriers and harnesses. He goes to the vet regularly to get nail trims and seems to crate pretty well. She said he isn't harness trained and doesn't think he would ever allow it (another thing I've found weird as I've worked with tough birds before and with the right training they end up enjoying things included going for walks on harnesses. I currently go for a lot of walks with my two conures and plan on getting outdoor aviaries in the summer. All of which would require a harness to do, so want to know what everyone's experience is like with training them).
. She mentioned diet of course. I know a fair amount already but would like to know what everyone's Hyacinth diet is like!

I'm still asking different questions and along with getting information on what I've already asked, I would love to know of any other questions I should be asking! I really appreciate everyone's time. I'm really excited but want to make sure I'm thorough with everything.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That's so exciting! I can't speak for hyacinths, but the smaller species I've known were able to fly just fine even with quite a few missing tailfeathers, so mechanically I wouldn't think it's a dealbreaker. It makes sense, really. In the wild, a predator is liable to grab the tail of a fleeing parrot and end up with a mouthful of feathers - seems like most birds would adapt to handle the occasional naked bum.

Regarding the "prefer to walk" thing. I was told basically the same thing with my grey, that she "chose" not to fly. In reality, she was probably clipped early and never fledged properly. She had serious muscle atrophy in her wings from lack of use and basically NEVER spread her wings except to (poorly) break a fall. She didn't flap for fun, or do that typical one leg/wing stretch. Nothing. The good news is that with time and the right setup, she's slowly learning that wings are actually good for something. She still struggles with the most basic, simple flights (she hasn't worked out turning or ascending yet, and it's been two years), but there is real, definite progress. We're currently working on takeoffs from a vertical surface, and last week, for the first time, she had the confidence to flap-jump from my hand to her cage, which was a HUGE deal for her.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
No real experience but be sure you have the time & funds available. Cages, toys & vets etc.

A bit odd she has 2 hyacinths & this one for only 2 years. I guess since the bird does not like her would be a good reason to rehome esp if the husband whom he likes has little to do with the birds.

Have you met the bird? Seems the original owner was a woman & suppose there was a good relationship
so perhaps its not that he does not like women.

I'd say meet the bird & ask as many questions as you can think of as you want to be as sure as she wants to be sure
if she rehomes him. Still I think you really should meet the bird as really all you know about behavior is he does not like this woman.

I guess you have asked the important ones such as diet & health/vets.

There are a few hys on the forum & hopefully they can glue you in on more specifics

Good Luck.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'd want to meet the bird (bring another person with you) before paying a rehoming fee (which you need to pay to make the hyacinth legally yours). Perhaps the number of scams reported to this forum are making me paranoid, but I'd want to verify it exists & secure my bird, in case she later changes her mind.

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
That's so exciting! I can't speak for hyacinths, but the smaller species I've known were able to fly just fine even with quite a few missing tailfeathers, so mechanically I wouldn't think it's a dealbreaker. It makes sense, really. In the wild, a predator is liable to grab the tail of a fleeing parrot and end up with a mouthful of feathers - seems like most birds would adapt to handle the occasional naked bum.

Regarding the "prefer to walk" thing. I was told basically the same thing with my grey, that she "chose" not to fly. In reality, she was probably clipped early and never fledged properly. She had serious muscle atrophy in her wings from lack of use and basically NEVER spread her wings except to (poorly) break a fall. She didn't flap for fun, or do that typical one leg/wing stretch. Nothing. The good news is that with time and the right setup, she's slowly learning that wings are actually good for something. She still struggles with the most basic, simple flights (she hasn't worked out turning or ascending yet, and it's been two years), but there is real, definite progress. We're currently working on takeoffs from a vertical surface, and last week, for the first time, she had the confidence to flap-jump from my hand to her cage, which was a HUGE deal for her.
Oh good to hear! When I thought about it, I've seen a few minor issues that haven't affected many birds so I figured it wasn't a big deal. I worry though that he was clipped (She said he hasn't been and doesn't need to be, wouldn't want to clip him anyways). I do really worry about the muscle atrophy, but it seems that it can be "fixed" or at least helped. Glad to hear your little one is doing better! It really is wonderful to see them fly, have fun and be happy. My conure lacked the confidence to fly but I'l worked with her enough that she now does it a little bit. She still prefers to be taken everywhere but it's a start! It's always so exciting when they take that step forward, so happy for her. Thanks for your help!
No real experience but be sure you have the time & funds available. Cages, toys & vets etc.

A bit odd she has 2 hyacinths & this one for only 2 years. I guess since the bird does not like her would be a good reason to rehome esp if the husband whom he likes has little to do with the birds.

Have you met the bird? Seems the original owner was a woman & suppose there was a good relationship
so perhaps its not that he does not like women.

I'd say meet the bird & ask as many questions as you can think of as you want to be as sure as she wants to be sure
if she rehomes him. Still I think you really should meet the bird as really all you know about behavior is he does not like this woman.

I guess you have asked the important ones such as diet & health/vets.

There are a few hys on the forum & hopefully they can glue you in on more specifics

Good Luck.
Oh yea, I've really made sure. Years ago I felt I wanted one and have spent so much time making sure I have everything I need, it's so important! I had asked her if he was frightened easily. She said it's mainly when the rest of her flock gets scared of something they all get going. I knew she had a handful of parrots but she told me she has 15... now I know she lives in the same area as me so I'm assuming she has a farm or something like I do. I've never heard 15 parrots in the city as I can imagine that would be really loud! It seems like she rescues a ton of parrots. I have not met her in person but found her on a local parrot form on Facebook. I had no clue someone had Hyicanths near me and we talked a little bit. I have no clue how anyone has the time for 15 parrots but it does seem like the husband doesn't to do much with them. I haven't met the bird in person but already said I would want to before purchase. I was worried he didn't like females, I think I'll ask if she new if he was bonded with his original owner which was a female. She said the original owner had a husband and kids so I'm wondering if it's a gender thing. Thanks for your help!
I'd want to meet the bird (bring another person with you) before paying a rehoming fee (which you need to pay to make the hyacinth legally yours). Perhaps the number of scams reported to this forum are making me paranoid, but I'd want to verify it exists & secure my bird, in case she later changes her mind.
No I totally agree! I've heard so many stories just like you have, it's crazy. I defietnly already said I would want to see him in person first, which she didn't really say much on, and I currently have two photos. I know she doesn't live to far so if she wasn't willing to do that, I just woudln't do it! Thanks for your help!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never had a hyacinth macaw, but I did rescue an abused/neglected B&G Macaw. The owners couldn't even handle her. To her being handled meant being hit & shoved in a tiny cage & kept in the dark 24/7. It took 6 weeks to get her to step up without fear. She was 2 years old when I got her. She ACKED a lot the first few weeks. Most will carry baggage with them from their past, so you need to work around it. She finally settled down & became an amazing companion full of life, a good talker, fun loving & very happy. Sadly she passed away last August at the age of almost 22 years. She also preferred to walk instead of fly, as does our CAG too. My new B&G macaw (age 1 year 6 months) prefers to be carried, often by her feet upside down (I swear she's part bat, LOL), instead of walk or fly.

With a lot of time & patience you could get him to settle in & become a great companion. He will need to learn to trust you, his new home, etc. It could take a few weeks or months or even longer.

If this deal goes thru make sure you get it in writing that she sold you the bird, how much you paid, dates, names, address/phone, vets name, etc. Does he come with his cage, perches, toys, any papers or detailed info on his history, is he micro-chipped, etc.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would proceed very cautiously. I find it strange that she has 2 Hys but is only rehoming one. Are they not bonded? Do they not get along? It's usually a plus for a bird to be with its own species and the odds of getting a second Hy isn't good. So if these are together, I would be loathe to separate them. I would try to find out more about this bird's background too. And definitely meet him before you make a decision- or pay any money.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good point if they are bonded it would be a big decision to separate them but that's up to the owner.
If she wants to rehome the Hy then it makes not much difference if its to you or someone else as its going to happen anyway. I'd expect a Hy removed from a bonded bird might show more depression & need more time to adjust
so it is something to consider behavior wise least in the short term.

I would ask what the relationship was between the Hy's or if the bird was bonded to another bird as sometime
birds will just pick whom they want & the Hy;s might not even get along that well for all we know.

15 birds is alot of birds.
Definitely look to see how they are being cared for & if something is not off with this.
Unusual for someone to have 2 Hy's & 13 other birds but its a challange so that might be why
she wants to part with one Hy. Maybe its just not getting enough time & not liking her makes it more difficult
& this woman must be busy with all those birds/

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
I've never had a hyacinth macaw, but I did rescue an abused/neglected B&G Macaw. The owners couldn't even handle her. To her being handled meant being hit & shoved in a tiny cage & kept in the dark 24/7. It took 6 weeks to get her to step up without fear. She was 2 years old when I got her. She ACKED a lot the first few weeks. Most will carry baggage with them from their past, so you need to work around it. She finally settled down & became an amazing companion full of life, a good talker, fun loving & very happy. Sadly she passed away last August at the age of almost 22 years. She also preferred to walk instead of fly, as does our CAG too. My new B&G macaw (age 1 year 6 months) prefers to be carried, often by her feet upside down (I swear she's part bat, LOL), instead of walk or fly.

With a lot of time & patience you could get him to settle in & become a great companion. He will need to learn to trust you, his new home, etc. It could take a few weeks or months or even longer.

If this deal goes thru make sure you get it in writing that she sold you the bird, how much you paid, dates, names, address/phone, vets name, etc. Does he come with his cage, perches, toys, any papers or detailed info on his history, is he micro-chipped, etc.
Sorry for your loss. My Sun Conure, Mango, is kind of the same. He came from a place that mistreated him and would scare the living hell out of him. Took so long to get him use to us let alone step up nicely, trust my hands and eventually allow pets. Do you think they just prefer to walk because they have learned that way? Or is it something more natural that they just prefer to walk?
She says she's still in contact with the previous owner and that he came from a good breeder. I would assume there would be papers but he was also never DNA tested but she was certain he was male. I would for sure want paper and stuff, so I'll have to ask that! Thanks for your help.

I would proceed very cautiously. I find it strange that she has 2 Hys but is only rehoming one. Are they not bonded? Do they not get along? It's usually a plus for a bird to be with its own species and the odds of getting a second Hy isn't good. So if these are together, I would be loathe to separate them. I would try to find out more about this bird's background too. And definitely meet him before you make a decision- or pay any money.
I never even thought of that, I'll have to ask but who knows if I'll get an honest answer. She's told me a little about his history. It seems he was bounded with the original owner's son who sadly passed away. And when she picked him up, the husband was the first one to see him, hence why she thought the bird bounded with him. She said she thought he was treated fine other than a slightly poor diet and that him and the other birds probably didn't have much attention as the owners traveled a lot (which made me think, that isn't being treated well????, just made me feel bad for the thing sadly). I don't know what the other hy is like but it seems like it likes her just fine. Going to for sure find out some more stuff, thanks for your help!

Good point if they are bonded it would be a big decision to separate them but that's up to the owner.
If she wants to rehome the Hy then it makes not much difference if its to you or someone else as its going to happen anyway. I'd expect a Hy removed from a bonded bird might show more depression & need more time to adjust
so it is something to consider behavior wise least in the short term.

I would ask what the relationship was between the Hy's or if the bird was bonded to another bird as sometime
birds will just pick whom they want & the Hy;s might not even get along that well for all we know.

15 birds is alot of birds.
Definitely look to see how they are being cared for & if something is not off with this.
Unusual for someone to have 2 Hy's & 13 other birds but its a challange so that might be why
she wants to part with one Hy. Maybe its just not getting enough time & not liking her makes it more difficult
& this woman must be busy with all those birds/
Yea, that would be something I would be worried about. I dona't 100% know how to care for a depressed bird and would want to make sure I'm helping it transition the best I can. I was so shocked when she said 15. I've seen her Facebook before and seen maybe 4 or 5 (macaws, the hys, another different species and a black cocoaktoo). But I never guessed 15! I kind of worry it's like a horrding situation but photos I've seen never look like that but doesn't mean they would either. I would assume it would be very difficult, I can't believe I would be able to take care of more than 4 MAX, properly anyways. I've seen on her page multiple times though were she will comment on people wanting to rehome their birds, saying she will contact them or something. I honestly wonder if it's like a buy cheap sell higher sort of thing. I have no clue and could just be parinod out of my mind but something isn't feeling 100% right. Thanks for your help!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I thought of another consideration. I’m pretty sure you’re the person whose province will likely ban certain endangered parrots from being kept by individuals. 100% certain hyacinths would be on that list.

Is it possible she wants to rehome, because the bird’s origins are sketchy? What paperwork would you need to have in place to legally have it grandfathered & by when? Is it too late for it to change hands & be grandfathered? I don’t know the answers, but I’d investigate!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hy's are an adventure. I'm not sure I would buy one myself, but if someone offered one to me I'm not sure I would turn it down either. There are a few I deal with regularly at the store and they are a handful - more like an armful.

It's possible the bird has sketchy origins so just be careful and ask for as much information as you can. If you feel you aren't getting all the information you need, or aren't getting the truth, then keep that in mind before you move forward. You're going to need lots of toys to keep that beak occupied, and with the need for a higher amount of fat in their diet than regular macaws, they aren't cheap to feed. With her having the bird for a relatively short period of time, I would make sure to get him thoroughly checked out by an avian vet to make sure he doesn't have any disease.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for your loss. My Sun Conure, Mango, is kind of the same. He came from a place that mistreated him and would scare the living hell out of him. Took so long to get him use to us let alone step up nicely, trust my hands and eventually allow pets. Do you think they just prefer to walk because they have learned that way? Or is it something more natural that they just prefer to walk?
She says she's still in contact with the previous owner and that he came from a good breeder. I would assume there would be papers but he was also never DNA tested but she was certain he was male. I would for sure want paper and stuff, so I'll have to ask that! Thanks for your help.

I never even thought of that, I'll have to ask but who knows if I'll get an honest answer. She's told me a little about his history. It seems he was bounded with the original owner's son who sadly passed away. And when she picked him up, the husband was the first one to see him, hence why she thought the bird bounded with him. She said she thought he was treated fine other than a slightly poor diet and that him and the other birds probably didn't have much attention as the owners traveled a lot (which made me think, that isn't being treated well????, just made me feel bad for the thing sadly). I don't know what the other hy is like but it seems like it likes her just fine. Going to for sure find out some more stuff, thanks for your help!

Yea, that would be something I would be worried about. I dona't 100% know how to care for a depressed bird and would want to make sure I'm helping it transition the best I can. I was so shocked when she said 15. I've seen her Facebook before and seen maybe 4 or 5 (macaws, the hys, another different species and a black cocoaktoo). But I never guessed 15! I kind of worry it's like a horrding situation but photos I've seen never look like that but doesn't mean they would either. I would assume it would be very difficult, I can't believe I would be able to take care of more than 4 MAX, properly anyways. I've seen on her page multiple times though were she will comment on people wanting to rehome their birds, saying she will contact them or something. I honestly wonder if it's like a buy cheap sell higher sort of thing. I have no clue and could just be parinod out of my mind but something isn't feeling 100% right. Thanks for your help!
If she is contacting people on fb saying she will contact them she could possibly be flipping the birds, if she lives close ask to go and check things out.
If something doesnt feel right it generally isnt right.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Hy's are an adventure. I'm not sure I would buy one myself, but if someone offered one to me I'm not sure I would turn it down either. There are a few I deal with regularly at the store and they are a handful - more like an armful.

It's possible the bird has sketchy origins so just be careful and ask for as much information as you can. If you feel you aren't getting all the information you need, or aren't getting the truth, then keep that in mind before you move forward. You're going to need lots of toys to keep that beak occupied, and with the need for a higher amount of fat in their diet than regular macaws, they aren't cheap to feed. With her having the bird for a relatively short period of time, I would make sure to get him thoroughly checked out by an avian vet to make sure he doesn't have any disease.
Best advice yet...

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Sorry for the late replies everyone, I got busy with work!

I thought of another consideration. I’m pretty sure you’re the person whose province will likely ban certain endangered parrots from being kept by individuals. 100% certain hyacinths would be on that list.

Is it possible she wants to rehome, because the bird’s origins are sketchy? What paperwork would you need to have in place to legally have it grandfathered & by when? Is it too late for it to change hands & be grandfathered? I don’t know the answers, but I’d investigate!
I never even thought about that. Yea, I'm in an area where that stupid law is happening. But I had thought we had until the 30th of November.... I could for sure be wrong though and that could be another reason. We were planning to move because of the law but if I didn't have till the 30th, it wouldn't work anyways as you can't grandfather to anyone but blood relatives (which is so stupid but that's another conversation). I will for sure double-check on that!

Definitely an armful lol. I've actually had a fair few things ready for a bit now but just hadn't found the bird yet. I kinda wanted to get a rescue but obviously, they are a little hard to find. Something doesn't feel right but with any bird, I would for sure be getting it vet check ASAP, possibly even before. That thought crossed my mind too as she even mentioned its tail feathers. It also put me off how she kept mentioning biting. I know they are big birds and that's intimidating but every bird can bite, I think every bird person knows that lol. Excess biting makes me think of something else, either sickness, being unhappy or hormones...
If she is contacting people on fb saying she will contact them she could possibly be flipping the birds, if she lives close ask to go and check things out.
If something doesnt feel right it generally isnt right.
I haven't seen that exactly. We aren't friends on FB just in the same bird groups. Often people will post birds they need to rehome on the pages and it's always a "PMd you" or, "Please send me a message" sort of thing. I think she does live close, I know we are a part of a small city but with that many birds, I would hope she had some type of farm or something.... No clue where she is from our farm though.
Honestly, it doesn't feel right, which I think has been a little clouded by me being so excited to finally find one lol. I for sure think I'm going to opt-out and just wait for the right one. I just hope the bird is okay, healthy, and happy... that part always bothers me not knowing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry for the late replies everyone, I got busy with work!

I never even thought about that. Yea, I'm in an area where that stupid law is happening. But I had thought we had until the 30th of November.... I could for sure be wrong though and that could be another reason. We were planning to move because of the law but if I didn't have till the 30th, it wouldn't work anyways as you can't grandfather to anyone but blood relatives (which is so stupid but that's another conversation). I will for sure double-check on that!

Definitely an armful lol. I've actually had a fair few things ready for a bit now but just hadn't found the bird yet. I kinda wanted to get a rescue but obviously, they are a little hard to find. Something doesn't feel right but with any bird, I would for sure be getting it vet check ASAP, possibly even before. That thought crossed my mind too as she even mentioned its tail feathers. It also put me off how she kept mentioning biting. I know they are big birds and that's intimidating but every bird can bite, I think every bird person knows that lol. Excess biting makes me think of something else, either sickness, being unhappy or hormones...

I haven't seen that exactly. We aren't friends on FB just in the same bird groups. Often people will post birds they need to rehome on the pages and it's always a "PMd you" or, "Please send me a message" sort of thing. I think she does live close, I know we are a part of a small city but with that many birds, I would hope she had some type of farm or something.... No clue where she is from our farm though.
Honestly, it doesn't feel right, which I think has been a little clouded by me being so excited to finally find one lol. I for sure think I'm going to opt-out and just wait for the right one. I just hope the bird is okay, healthy, and happy... that part always bothers me not knowing.
I hope the bird is okay too. You could always try to meet the bird still. I am just always very skeptical when someone says they're selling a hy. So many scams. You don't have to tell me the price- but did the price seem reasonable for a hy?

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
I hope the bird is okay too. You could always try to meet the bird still. I am just always very skeptical when someone says they're selling a hy. So many scams. You don't have to tell me the price- but did the price seem reasonable for a hy?
Me too and I don't mind. She said she wasn't sure yet but wouldn't be any lower than 12k. I know I've seen babies a few provinces away from me for about 20k so I think that's pretty close to most places I've seen. I could be super wrong though, I would for sure like to know. I haven't seen in the USA but in Canada, there are like two breeders and they both charge about 20k. Sadly I didn't really like any of them, they were rude to me and treated me like I was stupid. I hadn't started looking again but was still hoping for a rescue, I would really like to give one a second chance but figured it might be hard.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I too was thinking if I were you & the bird was so close if I would satisfy my curiosity by checking it out.
You always can learn from seeing the HY.

12K is not cheap. Hy's used to be about $10K but prices for birds have skyrocketed.
I would imagine the $20K might be young handfed babies which would fetch a premium.

For someone who had a Hy & they did not have a good relationship with it $12K might be fair price to sell it.

Still it all depends upon the bird & how handable it is as well as its good health.

If someone wanted a breeder they might not worry as much but if someone wanted a bird they could interact with
in a good way then price is not everything. Seems even breeder quality are commanding astronomical prices.

Still this bird is in CA & with that new law on the horizon it could come into play.

Big problem is she does not have a good relationship with this bird so you really can't see how it is with someone it likes. We all know birds can pick someone but this bird might need alot of work.

If the bird likes the husband but he never touches it you really have no way of accessing the behavior.
Do you know if the husband has any bond with this bird? If so I would want him present & observe how the bird is with him.

Bird was bonded to original owners son who died so seeing new persons husband may have reminded him of his late owner or the bird is more comfortable with men which might not be what you want. Any idea how long the bird stayed with the original family after its preferred person died? It could have been isolated.

Its tricky with a bird who has only been with this person 2 years & is not fond of the primary caretaker. No way of knowing the potential. Still if a bird has had some love in alot of its life it can learn to trust & love again.

With the Canada Provence issue & the possibility this bird would be better with a man leaves alot of cause for concern. Its also pretty odd that someone would get a HY & never at least have a well bird exam done in 2 years.

It shows lack of proper care as a baseline of health is very important for a new bird.

They are very endangered in the wild & have never been that common in the pet trade.

Alot of sites say $10K & up but seems they can be $20K & more or at least they are trying for that.
I guess someone who can afford $15K & with the cost of upkeep of these birds an extra few thousand should
not break the bank as its not a bird for someone on a budget. What I am trying to say as initial cost should not be a main issue with buying this species. The bird still has a fair price so that most people are not going t hand over $12 & flip it to make a little more. The risk is just too high & bird flippers usually don't deal in $12K birds.

I am still curious as to this bird situation & the other large birds this woman has. Maybe she just loves macaws.
There are members who take care of a large flock like this but its not easy.

You might just wait & save up til after you move & get on the waiting list of a breeder so you have alot more to go on. That being said even if you found one on a rescue its history would likely not be any more clear than this bird.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I would pursue it in a detached manner that allows you to decide with your head, rather than your emotions and speculation.
  • Suspect health issue? Factor a vet visit into the transaction and contract (a legitimate owner who cares about the bird will agree to this, but somebody who might have something to hide won't).
  • Not sure about its temperament? This can only be answered through a visit with the bird (visits ideally) and an assessment of your own skills and desire to work through whatever issues you find.
  • Objection #3? Rational plan to overcome.
  • Objection #4? Determine threshold where it becomes a dealbreaker.
  • etc
A pair of stories from my experience...

About 4 years ago, there was an aviary in Windsor Ontario who sold Hys, and I went to visit an adult female he was rehoming. She was on the small side for a Hy and didn't do well in his breeding program, so he was selling her for around $10K. Her feathers also looked in rough condition around her head as a result of being in the breeding program (breeder's explanation). She didn't want to leave her cage while I was there, but also made no attempt to bite her owner when he made attempts to coax her to come out (I view that as a good sign). At that time, my first impression was she would be too much work for me (exceeding my experience, and not matching my desire for a well behaved bird), and was also sold the very next day so I had no opportunity to become comfortable with her during a follow-up visit.

Last year, I went to a different owner who had 9 macaws and was looking to downsize. He had a Military who was somewhat ratty around his head from being picked on within the flock, and was described as not liking men. Watching the Military's interaction with her male owner who held this belief, I could see how it might be a self-fulfilling prophecy (so this objection became less of a concern). I asked if I could hang out with the bird for a while and interact with it on my own and he agreed. I had equipped myself with a clicker, small chopstick, and cashews for training. It was clear this bird had never been clicker trained, but as soon as he demonstrated curiosity rather than aggression, I knew we could work together. Oscar came home with me after a few more visits and a trip to the vet and has been a lovely member of my family ever since.

I hadn't thought about that Hy in a while, but in hindsight, the only difference between these two birds was my level of experience when I encountered them.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
An unsocialized otherwise sound bird with will present as uncooperative. The lack of aggression was a good sign they will come around.
I think its better to deal with this type of bird than one who has had negative experiences & as a result is aggressive.

The bird in question well, I am a bit leary as an experienced handler of large macaws has not worked well with the bird. Either the bird just does not like them, they did not work with the bird or there is a problem.
Having so many birds the time & determination may just not have been there to overcome the issue or the bird has issues. Like you said one has to carefully observe the bird & try from a distance to interact.

Still in retrospect you learned valuable insight from that Hy & maybe it was not meant to be but it gave you more understanding the next time around.

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Wow, thank you everyone for the replies, comments and help! I really do appreciate it and it has really helped.

I too was thinking if I were you & the bird was so close if I would satisfy my curiosity by checking it out.
You always can learn from seeing the HY.

12K is not cheap. Hy's used to be about $10K but prices for birds have skyrocketed.
I would imagine the $20K might be young handfed babies which would fetch a premium.

For someone who had a Hy & they did not have a good relationship with it $12K might be fair price to sell it.

Still it all depends upon the bird & how handable it is as well as its good health.

If someone wanted a breeder they might not worry as much but if someone wanted a bird they could interact with
in a good way then price is not everything. Seems even breeder quality are commanding astronomical prices.

Still this bird is in CA & with that new law on the horizon it could come into play.

Big problem is she does not have a good relationship with this bird so you really can't see how it is with someone it likes. We all know birds can pick someone but this bird might need alot of work.

If the bird likes the husband but he never touches it you really have no way of accessing the behavior.
Do you know if the husband has any bond with this bird? If so I would want him present & observe how the bird is with him.

Bird was bonded to original owners son who died so seeing new persons husband may have reminded him of his late owner or the bird is more comfortable with men which might not be what you want. Any idea how long the bird stayed with the original family after its preferred person died? It could have been isolated.

Its tricky with a bird who has only been with this person 2 years & is not fond of the primary caretaker. No way of knowing the potential. Still if a bird has had some love in alot of its life it can learn to trust & love again.

With the Canada Provence issue & the possibility this bird would be better with a man leaves alot of cause for concern. Its also pretty odd that someone would get a HY & never at least have a well bird exam done in 2 years.

It shows lack of proper care as a baseline of health is very important for a new bird.

They are very endangered in the wild & have never been that common in the pet trade.

Alot of sites say $10K & up but seems they can be $20K & more or at least they are trying for that.
I guess someone who can afford $15K & with the cost of upkeep of these birds an extra few thousand should
not break the bank as its not a bird for someone on a budget. What I am trying to say as initial cost should not be a main issue with buying this species. The bird still has a fair price so that most people are not going t hand over $12 & flip it to make a little more. The risk is just too high & bird flippers usually don't deal in $12K birds.

I am still curious as to this bird situation & the other large birds this woman has. Maybe she just loves macaws.
There are members who take care of a large flock like this but its not easy.

You might just wait & save up til after you move & get on the waiting list of a breeder so you have alot more to go on. That being said even if you found one on a rescue its history would likely not be any more clear than this bird.
I know we live in the same city and I can't see it being that far. I am for sure going to ask to see it/ just visit her place in general. Before all this and when I first met her I had wanted to ask to see her place and her two Hy's. Then I thought it would be really good for me to see them in person. I never asked though as I am very shy and couldn't find the right way to do it. I was going to be more open-ended with it, saying I wanted just to visit all her birds but also see him in his own environment. Not sure how she will react to it but I guess we will find out!
From my understanding, the husband interacts a little with all of them. In the one picture I have, the bird is snuggled on it's back with the husband. She says they get along and even mentioned that he takes him for a walk, etc. I would assume it was either the bird liked males or that it reminded him of the person he was bonded to. I would assume he would be there and would really like to see them interact. I have no clue how long he stayed with him after his bonded person passed away, she kind of made it seem like it happened a while ago but that could 100% me just assuming that.
I've definitely seen birds change, learn to love and trust again. My Sun Conure, Mango, came from a horrible place and it took so much time and work to get him to even trust me enough to be next to him. Thankfully he loves to play, sit with me, let me pet him (sometimes lol), and loves doing training and flying. But it does worry me not knowing if that would be an option for him.

I'm worried about the new laws too. I thought I had time but I'm not sure at the moment, looking more into it. It was the main reason I stopped looking for one. I figured I would just move somewhere that law wasn't in place ( a few other provinces tried it but it didn't pass) and would wait till I found a place and was set up. If I find out I can't legally get one now, that is still what I will be doing. I wouldn't be able to take it to the vet at all with that new law and I would never put the poor thing at risk like that. The law thing is a whole other topic but is just a shizzty situation overall. I literally was a month or so away from going to visit places to get one when the rule came into place, put a real damper on everything ahaha.

Guess I never really thought about the bird-flipping. It just boggled my mind how you could care for so many birds that I think that's where my brain went too. I know for sure not as many people get larger species because of cost. So maybe she does just really like macaws and larger breeds. I would never be able to take care of 15! I hope to still she her flock and the bird, fingers crossed.
Thanks!

I would pursue it in a detached manner that allows you to decide with your head, rather than your emotions and speculation.
  • Suspect health issue? Factor a vet visit into the transaction and contract (a legitimate owner who cares about the bird will agree to this, but somebody who might have something to hide won't).
  • Not sure about its temperament? This can only be answered through a visit with the bird (visits ideally) and an assessment of your own skills and desire to work through whatever issues you find.
  • Objection #3? Rational plan to overcome.
  • Objection #4? Determine threshold where it becomes a dealbreaker.
  • etc
A pair of stories from my experience...

About 4 years ago, there was an aviary in Windsor Ontario who sold Hys, and I went to visit an adult female he was rehoming. She was on the small side for a Hy and didn't do well in his breeding program, so he was selling her for around $10K. Her feathers also looked in rough condition around her head as a result of being in the breeding program (breeder's explanation). She didn't want to leave her cage while I was there, but also made no attempt to bite her owner when he made attempts to coax her to come out (I view that as a good sign). At that time, my first impression was she would be too much work for me (exceeding my experience, and not matching my desire for a well behaved bird), and was also sold the very next day so I had no opportunity to become comfortable with her during a follow-up visit.

Last year, I went to a different owner who had 9 macaws and was looking to downsize. He had a Military who was somewhat ratty around his head from being picked on within the flock, and was described as not liking men. Watching the Military's interaction with her male owner who held this belief, I could see how it might be a self-fulfilling prophecy (so this objection became less of a concern). I asked if I could hang out with the bird for a while and interact with it on my own and he agreed. I had equipped myself with a clicker, small chopstick, and cashews for training. It was clear this bird had never been clicker trained, but as soon as he demonstrated curiosity rather than aggression, I knew we could work together. Oscar came home with me after a few more visits and a trip to the vet and has been a lovely member of my family ever since.

I hadn't thought about that Hy in a while, but in hindsight, the only difference between these two birds was my level of experience when I encountered them.
I hadn't asked about a vet visit beforehand but would 100% be doing that. I learned early on with my horses who I got a vet check after purchase to not do that again. I still love them to death and wouldn't trade them but it definitely made me smarter for anything else I did in the future. They are all for sure so different. I would be interested to see if it was trained or knew anything in that sort (I don't think it is but will have to double-check). I love training and working with mine and planned on doing that with any bird I got. I even offered a few places to help work with rescues, I really enjoyed it and see how much they enjoy doing the training. I see how well it has helped my Sun Conure who was terrified of everything. It took a while but he is a completely different bird now and so much happier! It will be interesting to see how it interacts with her husband, her, and with me there.
Thanks!

An unsocialized otherwise sound bird with will present as uncooperative. The lack of aggression was a good sign they will come around.
I think its better to deal with this type of bird than one who has had negative experiences & as a result is aggressive.

The bird in question well, I am a bit leary as an experienced handler of large macaws has not worked well with the bird. Either the bird just does not like them, they did not work with the bird or there is a problem.
Having so many birds the time & determination may just not have been there to overcome the issue or the bird has issues. Like you said one has to carefully observe the bird & try from a distance to interact.

Still in retrospect you learned valuable insight from that Hy & maybe it was not meant to be but it gave you more understanding the next time around.
I 100% agree. I really learned that when training both my conures. Like I've said before, my Sun Conure was mishandled, mistreated but mostly just unsocialized and not desensitized. Once he got better at dealing with new people, new places, new things and was more comfortable with me, he was so different. He never really resulted in aggression in the first place but I believe had I forced him to set up, be pet, or anything like that he would have. Even now he gives little warning signs which I know but his "bite" is just putting his beak on your hands. While my Green cheek...... she's another story..... aggression was her first choice.. ALWAYS! And for a little bird, she hurt bad. Luckily she's better now and hardly bites, at least without a warning lol. It was and still can be a ton hard to work with her but deep down she's a sweetheart, just a little sassy lol.
I honestly wonder if it's a mix of not having the time to work with him and his problems and he so bonded to someone who doesn't do that with him. I know I had even taught my mom how to work with my two as she loves them dearly but she just didn't know any better when it came to behavior. I've seen what they do with someone who doesn't know how to communicate with them.

Honestly, I have learned so much and super appreciate everything! I feel more confident and comfortable with this situation. All the advice has not only helped me with this time around but for sure will help me again when I need it. Thank you everyone once again.
I think I'll message her and see where it goes from there. Even without her selling a bird, I had still wanted to visit just to see one in person and get some experience from that. There is almost no one else near me with larger macaws let alone Hy's so here's to hoping she says yes. I'll update if there are any good details!