• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

it's not hurting anything is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbsmomto1

Strolling the yard
Akayah my sennie is 7 months old, Echo is 13 weeks old and still on at least 1 handfeed (nighttime). Akayah has been coming over to Echo's cage at feeding time and trying to steal the formula away...so I gave him some last night and tonight and he loves it, but at 7 months old will it hurt him? I don't mind giving it to both parrots, but I don't want to cause any issues with my Akayah. They share the same spoon and actually eat quite nicely. When they are done, Akayah lets Echo lick the leftovers from his beak (it's very cute to watch), is there any harm with them sharing the spoon?

Also Echo will eat the pellets when they are softened up for him, but how do I get him to eat them dry? Do I stop soaking them for him and hope he eats them crunchy? I only ask because i don't like leaving the pellets out for to long when they have been soaked. If he chooses not to eat them dry, can a bird still be healthy without any packaged bird food and only home made food? Right now I have been feeding them from my hand and he takes one but then spits it out...when they are in the dish in his cage (dry) he uses his beak to fling them all over the place.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
it won't hurt to hand feed a older bird, when i hand feed babies I have 3 birds who demand the left overs one is a 20 yr old Quaker, a 15 year old Quaker and a 1 yr old IRN

A lot of people feed their adult birds a nightly feeding of formula,

I don't know about the pellets I've never moistened them I have always given them dry from the time i start introducing foods other than formula to the birds I hand feed and never had a problem

but i start with smaller pellets, and work up to their normal size for the type of bird I am hand feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.