• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Its gonna be freaking crazy on Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Did I mention it was going to be CRAZY!!!!!!!

Ok well I was called because no other rescues would help this poor lady. She called other rescues in ohio and they all said heck no, they were not going to deal with this. Well, here I am lol and look what I got myself into.

So, this elderly lady who is not in good health has...this is the list she told me...
2 Dozen Finches at least.
1 Dozen Diamond Doves at least.
8 parakeets
2 Canaries
3 Cockatiels and one is disabled

Ok...again not that bad. Well I asked her if they would be coming with cages.........Oh they don't have cages....Oh ok so they are in an aviary? Um no they are in the house.....HUH? JUST in the house?????? Yep these birds with the exception of the tiels and keets are just flying free in the house. It has gotten so bad that it has effected her health, she is unable to use her kitchen due to the filth.

GREAT!!!! So I have to go on Saturday and catch all of the birds....THEN more good news. She has 3 artificial trees and there are countless Doves and Finches in the with nests and babies!!!!

So now I am going to have to hand feed like 50+ baby finches and Diamond doves because once we catch all of the adults there is no way that they are going to take back their babies, heck we won't even know who the parents are!

Good news, all of the finches and doves are going in a 13 ft by 14 ft aviary so they will not be in little cages as I was afraid. Because these birds are not used to being caged. I guess I will let you guys know how it goes. I think I am going to cry LOL haha

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:omg: how on earth are you going to hand-feed 50+ babies? :lol:

And letting them fly around the house and never have been caged? ugh, I can imagine what the house looks like inside.. all poop everywhere, not nice! :eek:

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:lol: That is alot of birds. Can you imagine the mess? Good luck in catching them all. Do you have a home lined up for the finches and doves already?
Don't forget to take pics if you can.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Did I mention it was going to be CRAZY!!!!!!!

Ok well I was called because no other rescues would help this poor lady. She called other rescues in ohio and they all said heck no, they were not going to deal with this. Well, here I am lol and look what I got myself into.

So, this elderly lady who is not in good health has...this is the list she told me...
2 Dozen Finches at least.
1 Dozen Diamond Doves at least.
8 parakeets
2 Canaries
3 Cockatiels and one is disabled

Ok...again not that bad. Well I asked her if they would be coming with cages.........Oh they don't have cages....Oh ok so they are in an aviary? Um no they are in the house.....HUH? JUST in the house?????? Yep these birds with the exception of the tiels and keets are just flying free in the house. It has gotten so bad that it has effected her health, she is unable to use her kitchen due to the filth.

GREAT!!!! So I have to go on Saturday and catch all of the birds....THEN more good news. She has 3 artificial trees and there are countless Doves and Finches in the with nests and babies!!!!

So now I am going to have to hand feed like 50+ baby finches and Diamond doves because once we catch all of the adults there is no way that they are going to take back their babies, heck we won't even know who the parents are!

Good news, all of the finches and doves are going in a 13 ft by 14 ft aviary so they will not be in little cages as I was afraid. Because these birds are not used to being caged. I guess I will let you guys know how it goes. I think I am going to cry LOL haha
We can meet up sunday if you need help with the finches...
Thats gonna be insane. If I was free saturday I would come and help you..sorry I just hav no beebee sitter or I would. Thats gonna suck Jen. Wear a hazmat suit!

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
No kidding!!!! This house is probably going to be like what you see on animal planet. I know she had/has a bunch of other animals including but not limited to Labs, small dogs, guinea pigs, rabbits the birds and god knows what else.

I hopefully will be getting help from my foster, my vet tech friend, and maybe MC Rescue....PLEASE CRYSTAL!!! LOL

I don't even know how to hand feed baby finches or diamond doves, I am going to do some serious research!
I have hand fed baby parrots but not the little finches.

Any advice from anyone would be great!!!!

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I have a home for 12 of them LOL but I have other homes that want finches and so does Crystal so hopefully she can help me Ugh!! I will try to take pics! She is an old lady though I don't want to make her upset.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

It will be suprising if the finches survive. They do not do wel with handfeeding. Hope you have some itty bitty syringes.
I will help in any way I can, you know that Jen. hahahaha.
I wont take 100 finches to handfeed but I will take some. 50 if needed.

IF YOU NEED ME TO...I can take the tiels and keets...BUT ONLY IF YOU NEED ME TOO! hhahaha

I do have sharon that always wants doves. She adopted that pigeon. LOL

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I am sure you can take some doves and it won't even dent the population lol haha I hope she is over estimating but I really think that is the opposite lol
I know its sad that they may not make it, I do have itty bitty syringes

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Actually if you keep it warm enough and feed every couple hrs(my experience)and keep them hydrated they do quite well..but have only done them 4 times.(4to6 in each clutch)..maybe srteils would have some advice..:D

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
All I can say is 'Good luck'! You are right, it's gonna be freaking crazy!! If I were closer I'd try to help, sound like you've got quite a situation to deal with.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Actually if you keep it warm enough and feed every couple hrs(my experience)and keep them hydrated they do quite well..but have only done them 4 times.(4to6 in each clutch)..maybe srteils would have some advice..:D
Thanks Tanya. The smallest I have fed is day 1 lovies. This is masses. I hope the babies do survive. I will ask srtiels

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
would offer help but my hubbys surjery is on jan 14th and im going to stay at hosp with him...so i cant take on babys right now

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
If you can get the right hen with the right nest into a carrier or small cage, you probably won't need to handfeed the finch babies. I have transported finches with babies with no issues, set them up in their new home and they did just fine. Keep them separate and cover them.

If you have to handfeed, you won't want to syringe feed, way, way too easy to aspirate. Your best bet is to tube feed. It really isn't difficult, you just have to measure your tube correctly to insure that you don't insert it beyond the crop AND you only feed teeny, tiny amounts.

Let me know if you need any assistance with handfeeding. I am to far to be there in person, but will most certainly make myself available via email and telephone. Nearly 30 years experience handfeeding birds both as a breeder and an Avian Vet Tech.

You can email me at: shelly@aviananticsbirdtoys.com

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Wowzers! Thas quite the flock thats coming in. I commend you!!!

I have dealt with handfed finches before. So small :)

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
:omg: I can't even imagine...
Good luck, defintely bring a breathing mask, and I hope you get physical help too.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Wow!:omg: And all just flying around the house, too??? Good luck!

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
OMG!! This is crazy!! This is the type of situation that makes me wonder where her family and friends are that this could get so out of control??? I mean, I hate to judge, but come on!! Good luck to you! You have a heart of gold!

Status
Not open for further replies.