• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It begins! Updating the bird room!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
i’ve started on the renovations of making the bird room what I want it to be. This is, granted, only a small singular step so far, but I have a lot of plans.

No, the fan doesn't turn on.

IMG_9133.jpeg

so far kimchi is the only one brave enough to try it

IMG_9135.jpeg

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
i’ve started on the renovations of making the bird room what I want it to be. This is, granted, only a small singular step so far, but I have a lot of plans.

No, the fan doesn't turn on.

View attachment 440549

so far kimchi is the only one brave enough to try it

View attachment 440550
I love it

would love to come help I think I have an obsession with birds toys perches etc I need to order some rope and make mine better

can’t wait to see what you have planned

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I love it

would love to come help I think I have an obsession with birds toys perches etc I need to order some rope and make mine better

can’t wait to see what you have planned
I really want to hang some kind of swinging perch, but if Isadora gets on anything like that, she’ll snip whatever rope or twine that I use, so I’m not real sure how to get it done... I could use stainless steel chain, but that starts to get a little expensive

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I really want to hang some kind of swinging perch, but if Isadora gets on anything like that, she’ll snip whatever rope or twine that I use, so I’m not real sure how to get it done... I could use stainless steel chain, but that starts to get a little expensive
Sorry this made me chuckle

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think Isidora will remodel your ceiling.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I think Isidora will remodel your ceiling.
Ya..I would add plastic chains, or use the fishing line from the hook to the rope, long enough that a bird standing couldn't reach the ceiling. I had the hard way...

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Ya..I would add plastic chains, or use the fishing line from the hook to the rope, long enough that a bird standing couldn't reach the ceiling. I had the hard way...
actually, the plastic chains would be a really fun toy! I hadn’t even thought about that

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is awesome!!!! I really want to redo my front room this year to be more for the birds since Cotton lives there and am excited to see your progress!

We have a big garden/home store here that sells 24" long powder coated stainless steel chains for hanging planters for $3 - I have those hanging from the ceiling for Cotton's toys.

Home Depot has whole rolls of plastic chain in white or yellow for somewhere around $30ish. I initially was thinking that route after seeing someone used it for a little highway for their walk-everywhere parrot, but then decided to let volunteer mulberry trees grow in my yard to use as perches. I still need to chop them down haha

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Use SS wire. Cheap enough and strong enough. I use it on Burts swings so he cant drop them

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
actually, the plastic chains would be a really fun toy! I hadn’t even thought about that
Be aware that Isadora is likely able to snap the plastic chains so it may not be the best choice for supporting things that can't be dropped but many larger birds love snapping the links.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This is awesome!!!! I really want to redo my front room this year to be more for the birds since Cotton lives there and am excited to see your progress!

We have a big garden/home store here that sells 24" long powder coated stainless steel chains for hanging planters for $3 - I have those hanging from the ceiling for Cotton's toys.

Home Depot has whole rolls of plastic chain in white or yellow for somewhere around $30ish. I initially was thinking that route after seeing someone used it for a little highway for their walk-everywhere parrot, but then decided to let volunteer mulberry trees grow in my yard to use as perches. I still need to chop them down haha
Are you sure they are actually SS? Seems a waste powder coating SS as powder coating is normally done to protect metals that will rust and ruin- SS should not be a large rust hassle ever. I use SS hooks in my garden for hanging pots- they have been outside in the weather for years and do not have a spot of rust anywhere.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Be aware that Isadora is likely able to snap the plastic chains so it may not be the best choice for supporting things that can't be dropped but many larger birds love snapping the links.
Oh definitely not for support. More so for something to jangle and fiddle with

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh definitely not for support. More so for something to jangle and fiddle with
I do use them on one swing perch for Burt simply because I know he loves the excitement of being able to snip them and have the perch do a scary drop like a carnival ride thing. He has one swing that needs 3 strands to hold it up so that is the perch I sometimes use plastic chains on- he snips one of the strands and the whole thing becomes a brand new fun weird swing lol. I can hear when he does it so I simply make sure to replace the support before he snips the second strand lol

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Shezbug that's a really good question! I think it's powder coated just for the aesthetic - I see them on people's porch hanging baskets a lot. I use mine to hang toys and perches from so that I have more places than only where the ceiling hooks are. My birds are only 100g though so I have a lot of options I think :)

1000007852.png
PXL_20240111_235251456.MP.jpg PXL_20240111_235338760.MP.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Shezbug that's a really good question! I think it's powder coated just for the aesthetic - I see them on people's porch hanging baskets a lot. I use mine to hang toys and perches from so that I have more places than only where the ceiling hooks are. My birds are only 100g though so I have a lot of options I think :)

View attachment 440663
View attachment 440664 View attachment 440665
Powder coated steel it says so it won’t be SS that’s powder coated.
Love your set up!!

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Powder coated steel it says so it won’t be SS that’s powder coated.
Love your set up!!
Cotton is a big climber and I definitely underestimated how much more he'd be active with vertical.spaces! Thankfully he doesn't chew on anything not-wood (unlike my Quaker!).