• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Issues with Harrisons pellets again. Having to throw out another $40 bag

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the alert! Any updates on this issue? I was gonna make an order from Harrison’s soon but I’m wondering if I should wait a bit.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I was actually looking at getting Harrison’s, but I remembered this post!

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
Is the issue only with the pepper coarse? I've been getting an adult lifetime coarse and adult lifetime fine and had no issues so far (fingers crossed)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have shipped a few coarse pepper, no complaints. I also just opened a bag personally of the HP pepper for my own, no issues.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had a bag of Pepper Coarse open for about a month with no issues so far.
Is the issue only with the pepper coarse? I've been getting an adult lifetime coarse and adult lifetime fine and had no issues so far (fingers crossed)
The girls get pepper coarse mixed into there food on occasion never had any issues, i open the bag mix into my roudybush into a tupperware container.

My biggest issue with Harrisons is the price and however would be very frustrated if they didnt respond to me.

In my opinion a company can throw as much money at research and development of a product however if they dont respond to customer feedback this is poor.
Research and development of a product doesnt stop at the sale point.

IMO. If you are confident of your product or your service you wont dodge questions from customers.

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
I just really hope the company isn't going downhill, because I know roudybush is the next best brand but my birds are 'soup-makers' where they put all their food in their water bowl and roudybush smells so gross when it's wet

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I personally would just feed sprouts, veggies and cook up some grains, beans, lentils etc till your new stuff arrives.

If this mold issue is because of a formulation change as the OP states it could be, it may be worth transitioning your birds onto another pellet while they sort this out.

I had the exact same thing happen with roudybush pellets and then they stopped being available here at all so I decided to introduce my bird to a few brands and make sure they were all readily accepted- we no longer get put in a bad situation when there are shortages/supply issues.
I was going to mention, I had a lot of trouble with roudybush going rancid a few years ago...so I took out of the rotation. Looked at a bag for sale yesterday...again saw rancid pellets.

Everytime I buy dog food I'm checking news for recall.

I lost my cat in early 2000s from food causing kidney failure.

Happens with human manufacturing as well.

But thank you so much for sharing a heads up.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I was going to mention, I had a lot of trouble with roudybush going rancid a few years ago...so I took out of the rotation. Looked at a bag for sale yesterday...again saw rancid pellets.

Everytime I buy dog food I'm checking news for recall.

I lost my cat in early 2000s from food causing kidney failure.

Happens with human manufacturing as well.

But thank you so much for sharing a heads up.
The roudybush pellets we got here were not brought in from the US- they were made here so it was a slightly different formula simply due to the manufacturer using local places for the ingredients and the added fruit was the problem- they were having issues with the dried fruit supplier sending batches of fruit with more moisture content than they were meant to have. The pellet itself was fine and in all honesty if they made them available here again I would happily buy them.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
My husband tries to be aware of WHERE the pellets are coming from... When the area of manufacture and/or storage is located in a flooded area... we decided to wait to order more.
Having mold is a VERY dire situation!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just finished a 1 lb bag of Harrison's Pepper. No issues with mold. Was open 4-5 weeks. Best by date was Sept 2023.

PXL_20221027_152405239.jpg

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I ordered a small bag of Lifetime Pepper and it was great -- no moisture or mold. I've only had trouble with the big 5lb bags. I'm about to order another 1lb bag.

OTOH, I am still very disappointed that Harrison's ghosted me. But the birds don't care much, they just want to eat :)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes being ghosted is unacceptable.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I ordered a small bag of Lifetime Pepper and it was great -- no moisture or mold. I've only had trouble with the big 5lb bags. I'm about to order another 1lb bag.

OTOH, I am still very disappointed that Harrison's ghosted me. But the birds don't care much, they just want to eat :)
Do they have a twitter account? I’ve found that tweeting at a company usually gets a response, I assume because it’s public and looks like bad publicity.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Wow at the least you should get a refund.

I order our Harrison’s Adult lifetime fine from Claire and have never had a quality issue. I keep our pellets in the freezer as we get humid here part of the year.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Do they have a twitter account? I’ve found that tweeting at a company usually gets a response, I assume because it’s public and looks like bad publicity.
That's good idea. I don't know about Twitter but they do have a Facebook account