• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is vinegar safe for birds? (tw: Bug mention*)

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
*The tw is for my best friend who's on here who has a bug phobia and I know she looks at my page so I didn't want her to get freaked out.

So, I've been having a small issue with fruit flies the past few days. I don't know why/how, I keep my room as clean as possible and clean out Aro's fresh food as often as possible +spot clean his bedding twice a day, and I stopped keeping the trash in my room bcs I haven't been able to get a proper bin for it. I've been trying to use vinegar "traps" to help with the issue, but now I'm really paranoid about Aro drinking it as when I'm cleaning, he always tries to drink the vinegar/water solution that I use :/ So, before I keep going with this I wanted to check to make sure if he DOES drink any of it, will he be safe? I use distilled vinegar if that makes any difference!!

I would also really appreciate any other suggestions for keeping the flies away. An idea I had was changing the way I give him vegetables and only offer them when he's outside the cage for 30 mins and just change the time I give them to him to every few hours or something, but I'm not sure how well he'd take to that change as he's pretty messy with food and I worry he might throw it in places that I can't find (My room is SUPER tiny and pretty cramped so there are some areas I literally cant reach).

Thank you for checking out my post :) I hope you all have a great day and stay safe. <3

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh man, I JUST dealt with a fruit fly battle.

Get some of those apple shaped Terro traps. And don’t use regular white vinegar, I don’t find that works very well. Use apple cider vinegar, and add a drop of dish soap - and put it somewhere he can’t get it.

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
Oh man, I JUST dealt with a fruit fly battle.

Get some of those apple shaped Terro traps. And don’t use regular white vinegar, I don’t find that works very well. Use apple cider vinegar, and add a drop of dish soap - and put it somewhere he can’t get it.

Thank you SO much for the help!!! Will do this!! :) Thankfully I have a corner of the room where he just refuses to go in so I can put it there safely! :)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Thank you SO much for the help!!! Will do this!! :) Thankfully I have a corner of the room where he just refuses to go in so I can put it there safely! :)
Oddly enough, I also accidentally found a really good trap - take a medium pot or pan, drop a decent amount of dish soap into it, and blast it with hot hot water. Get a really good pile of suds, like a good couple inches of bubbles.

And then leave it there. I used Ajax (don’t know if that makes a difference) and the piles of soap suds were catching like 10+ at a time.